Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Heahea > Front Desk
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Hard to believe, but HawaiiThreads.com has been around for seven years. And, as has been the tradition for the past three years, I'd like to invite my fellow HT veterans to celebrate at the fourth annual Hawaii Geek Meet. It's taking place on Sunday, April 17 at Magic Island from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

There will be astronomers with their telescopes, ham radio operators with their gear, LEGO builders with their LEGO blocks, Star Wars fans with their Storm Trooper uniforms, and many, many, many other geeks from many, many, many stripes. It's a family friendly event that, to a large extent, hopes to get people out of the house and out into the sun.

Which isn't to say we won't have some electricity and wireless Internet access for some on-site tech tinkering!

It's a potluck event, but you don't have to bring food for 100 people, just a dozen or so... and each year, we tend to end up with too much food!

I hope you'll be able to join us!
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Geek Meet - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Seven Years? Wow! I remember my first HT Picnic. And the picnic I first introduced P.K. Then the combination of HGM/HT Picnic. Fun indeed! Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

Hawww man! I always come to Honolulu for several weekends, and the one that I don't plan on going is when the Geek Meet happens!

flickr
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
Hawww man! I always come to Honolulu for several weekends...
What's her name?
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
What's her name?
LOL...how'd you know? Working on it...

I tried to add you on facebook...you can see her there.

flickr
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

This is only the fourth? I feel like I've somehow been to three of these. Or maybe that was some other geek picnic..
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

If this is the fourth, why wouldn't it make sense that you've been to three of these? Is it because of KawaiiKon?
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Ali`i

Wish I could be there. Will there be live streaming so we can be there in our hearts?
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Kia`aina

It was more of an "I've been around that long?" kind of revelation. Or I guess I thought there had been picnics before me.

Well now I -have- to go. Records to uphold and whatnot.
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

I tried to get some Geocachers interested, but got no good responses. Sorry.
Now I find out that I have to work that day during daytime. Sorry I'll miss it too.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

No worries, we'll have a few independent geocachers there to spread the word.

If you haven't visited the official Hawaii Geek Meet website, several great groups are coming on Sunday!

New additions include "Team Hawaii," the UH entry into the national Solar Decathlon. They're building an all-solar home; HiCapacity, a new local group focused on building electronics; the International Game Developers Association - Hawaii/Honolulu chapter, or at least the beginnings of one; and AquacultureHub, a local community focused on aquaculture and aquaponics.

This is on top of familiar friends and faces, including the UH Institute for Astronomy; LEAHI, the local LEGO builders club; "Pacific Outpost 501st Legion," a local Star Wars and fandom costumers guild; the Emergency Amateur Radio Club, ham radio operators with an awesome setup; TechHui, a local science and tech community; and more.

There'll be members from the local iPad User Group, the local Apple/Mac user group, various photography fans, and, and other cool folks. Including, of course, HawaiiThreads.com, one of the longest-running Hawaii-focused message boards!
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Ali`i

Shoots, if Sophielynette's going, then I -have- to go too! Hey Soph, need a ride?
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

It's coming! The 4th annual Hawaii Geek Meet (a.k.a. the HawaiiThreads 7th Anniversary Picnic!) is this Sunday at Magic Island, Picnic Area #40. The location is the same as in years past, along the marina/Diamond Head edge of the peninsula, about halfway in. Here's a map with a pin indicating the approximate spot:

http://goo.gl/maps/vFIi

Our event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., officially, but of course we've always suggested showing up early for setup. This year, logistics is complicated a bit by a 5K half marathon beginning and ending at the park the same morning:

http://j.mp/wahine5k

The run is from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., but will probably impact parking and park access. Fortunately the busiest part of the run will probably be the dawn start, dissipating from then, and by late morning things should be manageable. Still, please plan ahead, and bring an extra serving of patience.

If you are bringing a tent or other equipment (and we do love equipment -- gadgets, toys, gear, displays, etc.), as you stake out your spot, please help us create an open, "L" shape facing the parking lot to encourage mixing and mingling. We will have only a limited amount of power and sporadic Wi-Fi available via mobile hotspots, so if you also have your own resources available, we'd recommend having them on hand just in case.

For the potluck, we've encouraged individuals to bring food for about 10 people, but of course groups can coordinate their own spread and be concerned mostly about feeding group members. We will try to have a designated open food and beverage tent, if you'd like to be part of it!

Please take advantage of this event as an opportunity to reconnect with your own colleagues, friends, and family, as well as to meet new people. Past Geek Meets have always resulted in wonderful, often unexpected collaborations and partnerships. Make sure you have business cards or flyers available!

Here is a list of some of the other participants (besides HawaiiThreads.com) -- not counting dozens of 'independent' individuals from science, tech, media, and academia that will be there:

- UH Institute for Astronomy
- LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii (LEAHI)
- Emergency Amateur Radio Club
- Pacific Outpost of the 501st Legion
- HiCapacity (Electronics Hacking)
- International Game Developers Association - Honolulu Chapter
- Team Hawaii 2011 (Solar Decathlon)
- HiPad: Hawaii iPad User Group
- TechHui.com
- Bytemarks
- Aquaculture Hub

And we're still waiting to hear back from a couple of other great organizations! Of course, having you there is already a thrill.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at ryanozawa@gmail.com. On Sunday, if you get lost or need help moving equipment, give me a call at (808) 372-3372.

Mahalo, and see you there!
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Ali`i

Thanks, Helen, for being our permit wrangler!

According to the city parks manager at Ala Moana, things should open up by 10 a.m. (not noon or 2 p.m., which has been spotted elsewhere). Those arriving to early to set up should use the Atkinson entrance and let the attendant know you're there to drop off gear for another permitted event.

Call me at 808-372-3372 if you need assistance!
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Shoots, if Sophielynette's going, then I -have- to go too! Hey Soph, need a ride?
Turtlegirl, it's been forever! I think I'm set in the transportation department, thanks, but I'll definitely see you there!
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Erika Engle has a story about the geek meet in today's Star-Advertiser, with a nice mention about Ryan organizing it and a mention about HawaiiThreads too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Ali`i

Erika is so awesome. We've always talked about Hawaii Geek Meet, and how it often overlaps with KawaiiKon, and how wonderfully geeky her family is... and even though she won't be able to join us this year, either, she featured the event in her column (again)... without even mentioning that she might!

And yes, she mentioned HT, and most of the other participating groups, and for some of them, this column was their first mention in print!

I do hope to see some HawaiiThreads.com faces there, veterans and newbies alike. See you there, Sophie! I think those using public transport may be at an advantage on Sunday (though interestingly, both 'traffic' links Erika included have no mention of the "Run Like a Diva" event we're worried about).
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Ali`i

I'm bringing a tent and a brand new 'geek meet' sign, a large blanket, a cooler, two cases of bottled water and a bag of ice, and two bags of tortilla chips (salsa to be acquired).

If you're bringing any heavy gear or equipment, the "Run Like a Diva" organizers say to be there 7:30-8:00 a.m. and to come in the Atkinson entrance to get access to the Magic Island parking lot closest to the site.

Everyone else? Just wander in, whenever, during hopefully a lazy, sunny Sunday. The park and streets should open up no later than 10 a.m.

See you there!
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Another fun event! Big thanks to Auntie Pupule for both bringing hands down the best food (we went home with a dozen unopened bags of chips!), but for being our "enforcer," making sure everyone had nametags, making sure everyone ate, rallying everyone for a group photo (when I said it couldn't be done!), and even keeping a neighboring picnic in line.

I posted photos here, Kyle posted photos here, JurodaDigital posted a few here... and Nonstop Honolulu posted a gallery here.

Here's to Hawaii Geek Meet V!
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ali`i

I had a fun filled day walauing with everyone!

Mahalo Ryan!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Last edited by 1stwahine; December 28th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
[...]and even keeping a neighboring picnic in line. [...]
Hmmm...I wonder if that was the other picnic I was invited to! Same general area, same hours as HGM. Couldn't make either, unfortunately. Looked to be a great day to have a picnic.
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:03 AM

I kind of wandered through it for a few while... photos.
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Ali`i

It was good to see you out and about, Mel! Nice shot of Aunty Lynn!