Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Early Voting: 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
Who knows who would have been peeved, no one, Malia or Mrs. Panos!

I'm looking forward to Wednesday, when it's all over!
Mistake on my part. I can always blame it on being Bi-Polar.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Politics brings out the worse in people.

Friends and family argue over candidates and issues. Especially, hot topics and races. When it's all over, we must come together as a State and Nation. I know I will respect all winners for they were elected by the majority of the people. It is so important and our right to VOTE. I have been voting since I was eighteen years old and have never missed. I am a Proud American.

Please VOTE.

Like they say "No Vote ~ No Grumble!!"

Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:25 AM
Ali`i

Related to early voting ---
Last night on our radio-service-for-the-blind, we had a live guest from the county's election division on the air, taking calls and demonstrating one of the "accessible" voting machines that can be used by anyone. He was specifically demonstrating the "audible ballot" function - I fed the audio from the headphone jack directly into the control board. A very cool device indeed, and there will be about 400 of them spread to all polling stations.

People here can go to a number of polling places around and vote ahead of election day, or mail in no-reason-needed absentee ballots. He told us that they have already received about 200,000 absentee paper ballots, and on election day itself, they can process about 100,000 absentee ballots a day, so they estimate it could potentially take a week or more to count all the ones they expect to receive; but the electronic reports from the accessible machines will be on removable drives, and can be tallied almost instantly.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ali`i

I must agree with Auntie. No matter who wins, I will support the next president.

As opposed to the types of people who drive around with "He's not my President" bumper stickers on their cars right now. So shameful.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
That is correct, the voting machine does retain the ballot....and that's how the errors were discovered in Europe. The paper receipt did not match the electronic tally in some cases. Officials had to go back and check EVERY paper receipt and compare it to the electronic tally. That proved to be time consuming and inefficient. As I recall, there were about a dozen European nations using electronic voting and all of them have eliminated it because of all the bugs in the system.

Electronic balloting is not ready for prime time.
Yes, so why do you believe voting by putting your marks on a paper ballot is somehow 'more accurate' than voting via the electronic machine, since BOTH ballots produce paper results and are counted by electronic machines, with the totals held in electronic memory? Or are you suggesting we should go back to hand counting or mechanical machine counting?
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ali`i

Bush and Cheney are not my president/VP. I don't want their kind of garbage even on this planet.

Shameful? TS!
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
[...]
Shameful? TS!
TS?...as in tough ca-ca; not tutusue! Right?
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
I must agree with Auntie. No matter who wins, I will support the next president.

As opposed to the types of people who drive around with "He's not my President" bumper stickers on their cars right now. So shameful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Bush and Cheney are not my president/VP. I don't want their kind of garbage even on this planet.

Shameful? TS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
TS?...as in tough ca-ca; not tutusue! Right?
Freedom of SPEECH is Grand. God Bless The United States of America!!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:35 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Early Voting: 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
why do you believe voting by putting your marks on a paper ballot is somehow 'more accurate' than voting via the electronic machine, since BOTH ballots produce paper results and are counted by electronic machines, with the totals held in electronic memory? Or are you suggesting we should go back to hand counting or mechanical machine counting?
I can’t speak for matapule, but what I will say is that there is no way to say with certainty that a ballot “printed” by a machine is your ballot. In theory, forensics experts should be able to tell you whether or not it was your brand of pen used to color in the bubbles on a paper ballot. Here’s an instructional video for the specific machine being used at Hawai‘i polls. As you can see, an enclosed panel prevents the voter from having any interaction with the paper trail, such as fingerprints.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM
Ali`i

Actually, the "pin code" issued at the polling place to activate the electronic machine is your receipt and the way of tracking accurate results, if you choose to challenge the process. Also, your voting choices are displayed in the printer window along with your individual pin code to approve before you actually cast the ballot. Hawaii's "electronic" voting machines are really a fancier way of voting on paper.
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
Also, your voting choices are displayed in the printer window along with your individual pin code to approve before you actually cast the ballot.
The problem in Europe is that what was indicated in the display did not match what was actually recorded on the machine, in some cases, too many cases, so many cases that the results were just not trustworthy and ALL countries using electronic voting had to abandon it.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Early Voting: 2008

hi this is sansei and i just returned from Voting and I voted for Mufi H and i also voted yes on rail and i voted for a few other's for Boe and The Oha for Our island and The other island's on who you could vote for so im hoping everyone i picked will win!

Well thank's for your time
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
sansei

hi,i just received my absentee ballot in the mail and as i've shared,im voting for who i shared i'd be voting for.

tomorrow,i'll send in my absentee ballot and hoping my vote's will help those i'd voted for will get them in office.

well thank's for your time
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
hi,i just received my absentee ballot in the mail and as i've shared,im voting for who i shared i'd be voting for.
tomorrow,i'll send in my absentee ballot and hoping my vote's will help those i'd voted for will get them in office.
well thank's for your time
Wrong thread, Sansei. This one was for voting two years ago in 2008, as the title says.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:33 PM
sansei

hi my apologie's likanui for posting this in the incorrect place,

only i wasnt able to locate early voting:2010.

i hope for this once it was ok to post this here even though it's in the incorrect place?

Well thank's for your time
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
[...]
only i wasnt able to locate early voting:2010.[...]
That's because no one started that thread. You should've started it instead of posting to the 2008 thread.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Re: Early Voting: 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
That's because no one started that thread. You should've started it instead of posting to the 2008 thread.
Sansei does not have the ability to start new threads. But yes, this thread was unnecessarily revived, with election discussions already going on elsewhere. I'm closing it.
Closed Thread