Camcorders spotted at intersections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camcorders spotted at intersections

Recently, in the Moiliili area, I've seen pairs of camcorders set up. They're pointed at big intersections. Each camera is on a separate tripod, facing pretty much in the same direction, but one is a little higher than the other. I don't see any official looking person manning them. Today I saw what looked to be a "homeless" guy sitting next to a pair at the Kapiolani Blvd / Kaimuki Ave intersection.

Any guesses?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Camcorders spotted at intersections

No guesses but there were the same type of camcorders that you describe in Wahiawa last week on California Ave.

Comment

I noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago by UH at the corner of University and Dole.

Comment

Typically they are recording traffic patterns to determine traffic flow thru those intersections and how to adjust the timing of the traffic lights to accomodate better traffic management.

It could also be a UH Civil Engineering project on traffic patterns.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Ah, so you guys have seen it too. I guess I'm not the only conspiracy nut case

I'm leaning towards Craig's idea that it's traffic management. I'm guessing the two cameras at slightly different heights allows computer software to automatically count the number of cars passing through. And to save money, they pay guys "off the street" minimum wage to watch over the cameras.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Ah, so you guys have seen it too. I guess I'm not the only conspiracy nut case

I'm leaning towards Craig's idea that it's traffic management. I'm guessing the two cameras at slightly different heights allows computer software to automatically count the number of cars passing through. And to save money, they pay guys "off the street" minimum wage to watch over the cameras.
            Here in Keaau on the Big Island I saw similar setups that ultimately stopped the right on red to no right on red at a major sticking point on Highway 130.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

How about a DVD of nosepickers of Oahu's drivers?

Comment

This morning's S-B:
                Cameras assess driving patterns
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                  I'm leaning towards Craig's idea that it's traffic management. I'm guessing the two cameras at slightly different heights allows computer software to automatically count the number of cars passing through.
                  Not just cars, but the camera system can also be set up to keep track of the number of pedestrians, which wasn't possible with the old mechanical traffic flow meters. (Those metal boxes with the black pressure tubes that are laid out on the road. We've all seen those before, right?) The camera system is better technology which can gather more data, so be prepared to see it being used, now and well into the future.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Here in Keaau on the Big Island I saw similar setups that ultimately stopped the right on red to no right on red at a major sticking point on Highway 130.
                    Glad to hear it helped. Hopefully they fix up the Piikoi/Lunalilo intersection over here.

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    Ahhh. Cool. Thanks for the link, Nords

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Not just cars, but the camera system can also be set up to keep track of the number of pedestrians.
                    Good point. I wonder if they can track the number of pedestrians who cross without even looking for oncoming cars
                    "

Comment

Working...
                    X