Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Apple Announcements

Well, the much-anticipated WWDC kicked off today, with most of the attention focused on good ol' Steve Jobs' keynote address.

Main product announcement? The Mac Pro (no, not a Macpro), the replacement to the G5 tower. A dual dual-core (Quad Core), 64-bit, 3GHz machine that's now Apple's top-of-the-line, and that now marks the completion of Apple's conversion to Intel processors.

Also covered, the upcoming Leopard release of OSX (multiple desktops via Spaces), Time Machine (backup utility), upgrades to Mail, iCal, iChat (including some fun green/bluescreen-like live video effects that don't require a green/bluescreen at all), Spotlight...

Well, no full-screen iPod, no iPhone, nor many of the other common predictions... but things are clearly going well for Apple.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Luna

Default Re: Apple Announcements

But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Well, I'm an Apple customer and fan, not a stockholder. Besides. Things are bound to be wobbly up or down right around a major Apple conference. Folks who were expecting the iPhone are probably bummed, but those just requiring a consistent and quality product line and ongoing innovation are pretty happy.

I'm impressed that for the simpler configurations, the Mac Pro comes in under $2,500. Compared to reasonably appointed but high-end PC towers, that's downright competitive... even without all the media creation and other advantages a Mac comes with.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Ali`i

People still buy Macs? Veddy Interesting?
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Ali`i

A few folks, yes. Though I'm sure the crowds in the Apple Store are just as much there for the free chili and rice than for the merchandise.

And, seriously, not everyone buying Macs are longstanding cult members who've gotten addicted to the Kool-Aid. Fifty percent of Mac purchases these days are to people new to the platform. And while that's still bupkis and a half versus bupkis to some folks... it's pretty damn good for this particular "niche" company.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Kumu

Long time PC and Linux user, now an (almost) full time Mac user here (Linux server at home, and Windows PCs at work). After a while you get tired of putting up with BS from your computer and it's a joyful bit of relaxation when it more or less just works. Yeah, there are exceptions to that, but the things really are nice. And they are reasonably priced for what they are too (not just Macs, compare "apples to apples" vs Dell or something, and see what I mean).

I'd rather watch a Jobs keynote any day vs MS too. "One more thing" and some righteously deserved digs at MS' attitude, or "developers developers developers developers!!"

Anyone watching their electric bill would do well to take a look at them too -- they are some of the quietest, least power hungry computers you can get right now for the CPU power.
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona
Still ? New apple stores opening all the time. If you do any sort of Post Production professionally, be it music or video, chances are you're working on a Mac. You'll rarely see them in, say, a real estate or insurance office.
That being said, both platforms are becoming more similar every day.

I've always been an apple user, but it's really down to what you learned on.

Also, Those PC's get those nasty viruses...almost none on a MAC :-)
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona
only the one's smart enough to know the difference. I mean there are a lot of people who haven't a clue about Macs too. Just because you own a computer doesn't mean you're techie. I mean look how many people still use AOL?!?!?

With Macs you hardly have to concern yourself with spyware, malware, etc, etc. Seems like Window boxes need security updates every other day! Plus any geek worth his broadband would love to own one of these new Macs that were shown yesterday.

A real plus with the new Intel Macs is the ability to boot into Windows( God forbid!), or Red Hat(any open source OS)!

Bottomline, all you need to know is, Redmond steals most of their innovation from Cupertino!
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy
only the one's smart enough to know the difference.
Not another Mac vs. PC war, please.

PC users aren't stupid and Mac users aren't elitist punks, though I'm sure there's a fair population of both groups in both camps. It is possible to discuss the appeal Apple machines without making enemies of non-Apple users (though it's about as irresistable to some as baiting folks the other way 'round, obviously).

I have fun on my Mac, but earn a living on my PC. I'm glad both are there. This thread was simply started just to discuss the latest Apple news, and to be sure there are already more than a few other Windows-specific discussions for Windows fans.
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.

Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
Yeah, damn them! That never happens in any other industry with any other product!

I hear you on paying for Windows, Eric. Considering that a distaste for Windows would be one of the more common reasons for buying a Mac, it seems a bit ridiculous to shell out money for that operating system. But for those who have PC-only apps (particularly those that WINE derivatives won't support), or have to do cross-platform testing, dual-boot and virtualization are pretty darn good options. And options that only exist on the Mac side of the fence.

A friend of mine has a MacBook running OSX, pre-release Vista, and Ubuntu. A triple-boot system!
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).
It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy
It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.
Well, during the his keynote anyway. No updates for the things I was interested in anyway, and I don't want to wait until Macworld (would make it somewhat pointless to get what I got )

'Course as soon as I say that he's going to have a last minute announcement of new iMacs...
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

The new alpha navigation system for the new iPods looks really useful... but it doesn't appear as if that'll be added to the current line up of 5G iPods (even though the new iPods are effectively still 5G). My iPod was updated to support the new games, for example, but otherwise it's still spin city to reach the bottom of a list.

Sure, there's no widescreen video iPod (yet), but the price drop that boosts your gigabyte-per-buck? I'll take it. I've read online reports that the new 80GB model has led to a significant price discount on the former top dog, the 60GB, so if you want the space and don't need the latest and greatest, that might be an option.
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
The new alpha navigation system for the new iPods looks really useful... but it doesn't appear as if that'll be added to the current line up of 5G iPods (even though the new iPods are effectively still 5G). My iPod was updated to support the new games, for example, but otherwise it's still spin city to reach the bottom of a list.
Sometimes, it's good to be wrong. I was just scrolling down my list of artists, grumbling about how long it'd take, when lo and behold, suddenly letters appeared superimposed in the center of my screen and, voila, I was jumping down my library with ease -- one click, one letter, flipping through the alphabet with ease.

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the extent of the new browsing system on the newest iPods, but it's still a neat new tweak and one I'm glad to see "passed down" to those with first-generation fifth-generation iPods.

Oh, and by the way, Microsoft didn't release anything, really. Just more pictures and more marketing speak for a device they've been hyping up for weeks. But so far, the Zune is largely imaginary. We're just getting more promises of what it might include. Wireless! Phone functions! "If and when it actually comes out, watch out!" Sounds a lot like Vista two years ago. I think they just wanted to get back in the news after Apple basically took over the tech press last week.
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Kumu

That's MS' operating strategy. Always has been, probably always will be. When they identify a market they want, they start making noises about entering it. Then they wait for everyone else to decide the grass is greener elsewhere, fearing competition from MS. Then they move in with a mediocre product that's only half as nice as what they promised.

Somehow with the iPod out there I don't think it's gonna work this time
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Kia`aina

OH PS:

microsoft released the "zune" today......

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian

Does anyone know if the Apple store has the new goodies on display/stock?

EDIT: If MS won't mess up the zune, then I might get one. Xmas shopping will be hectic this year!

Last edited by adrian; September 14th, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Ali`i

As reported today at CNN.com:

'iWoz' -- Apple co-founder tells his story

Quote:
In a book titled "iWoz" published this week, Wozniak seeks to tell the engineer's side of the story and set a few things in the record straight.

For him, the day that defined the personal computer was June 29, 1975, the first time he typed a character on a keyboard and saw it show up on the screen right in front of him.
Sounds like an interesting read. Brings back memories of the also interesting "Pirates of Silicone Valley" television program.

On a side note, Steve Jobs is listed at #49 in the Forbes 400 Richest Americans recently published. His net worth at $5.1 billion at age 51. Again Bill Gates is #1 with $53 billion at age 50, and MS cofounder Paul Allen is at #5 with $16 billion at age 53.

I don't see Steve Wozniak anywhere in that Forbes list, but judging from the article above, it probably doesn't bother him one bit.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Kia`aina

Default I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

Wow, did you guys happen the see the MACWORLD announcements? I love everything about the iPhone except it's price!

http://images.apple.com/iphone/image...ro20070109.jpg

Last edited by admin; January 13th, 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Please don't embed images from sites other than your own.
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Luna

Default Re: I gotta have...da iPhone!!!

At 4GB for 500 smackers no thanks...
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Ali`i

That little dustup between Cisco and Apple over the name "iPhone" apparently has ended amicably with Cisco allowing Apple to use the name "iPhone" for its product in exchange for future "interoperability" between the Apple product and Cisco products.

Quote:
The companies said Wednesday they reached an agreement that will allow Apple to use the name for its sleek new multimedia device in exchange for exploring wide-ranging "interoperability" between the companies' products in the areas of security, consumer and business communications.
Ahhh, a marriage made in heaven. If Steve Jobs doesn't watch out, Cisco will be buying him out soon.

Miulang
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
Ali`i

You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
You know those new Mac commercials that are running make me feel as if Apple has become the smug company. Apple has to realize that their profitablity isn't from Mac sales but from iPods. And with Vista, many of Apple's utilities aren't compatible with MS including Quicktime.

I think this smugness is gonna backfire on Apple as they become larger and larger. It's just a matter of time until someone get's upset with a Mac and will hack their OS.
Cisco's worth a hell of a lot more than Apple, and Cisco is still trying to keep up with Microsoft. So if Cisco can eventually "take over" everything but the computer (hardware) part of Apple, that would be a good thing for them. They need to look for ways to break into the consumer market. Right now, most of their business is in the business sector.

Miulang