Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sales Tax on Internet Purchases

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
    There is enough technology out there that this could be done easily enough; but those who spend our money would never give up the freedom to spend it in a manner they've decided is our best in our interest.
    In a manner of speaking, we already have a way to do that - it's called an "election," and the concept is that you would vote for "representatives" who best reflect our interests. How's that experiment (called "democracy") working out so far?

Comment

You've missed the point.
      there's no reason -we-, individually, can't reflect our own interests when it comes to taxes.
      Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

there's no reason -we-, individually, can't reflect our own interests when it comes to taxes.
        Please look up the term "representative democracy" for your answer.

Comment

Oh it is technically possible to do that, be we don't have that system right now. And how can we expect the electorate to make any better decisions on how we spend taxes than they do choosing who represent them - i.e. Michelle Bachman, govenor of Maine, Para Sailin', Jeff Sessions (who couldn't pass muster as a potential Federal judge), and Marion Berry (the convicted felon while in office and gets re-elected when he gets out!).

Let me make it easy, let matapules make the decisions how to spend tax revenue. My motto: Mo' poi mean mo' joy!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Please look up the term "representative democracy" for your answer.

Yes, I understand how a "representative democracy" works. We each get a vote, we elect a person who is -supposed- to act in our best interests; otherwise we wouldn't have voted for them.

However, in the end, the choices that are actually made come down the whims of that elected official; and I've never seen any other people, let alone political candidates, that agree with me 100% on all issues.

The representaive of said democracy could, theoretically, be removed from the equation and eliminate the bottleneck there.

I could continue, but I get the impression that you know exactly what I'm trying to say; you're just flexing your internet muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              Oh it is technically possible to do that, be we don't have that system right now. And how can we expect the electorate to make any better decisions on how we spend taxes than they do choosing who represent them...
              As usual, matapule makes my point well. As much as I dislike most who desire political power, I really don't want the power of control over taxation and spending to fall into the hands of most of my under-educated, celebrity-obsessed, easily-manipulated, me-first-and-screw-the-rest-of-ya fellow citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                As usual, matapule makes my point well. As much as I dislike most who desire political power, I really don't want the power of control over taxation and spending to fall into the hands of most of my under-educated, celebrity-obsessed, easily-manipulated, me-first-and-screw-the-rest-of-ya fellow citizens.

Well, obviously.
                I just want to be able to say where -my- tax dollars go.
                Screw the rest of ya.

Comment

Well, obviously.
                  I just want to be able to say where -my- tax dollars go.
                  Screw the rest of ya.
                  Okay - at least yer honest!

Seriously, though, it just isn't as simple as that; there are thousands of things supported by your tax dollars that you aren't even aware of. Some are services, activities and programs you use every day without even realizing it, others are ones that you don't give a whit about - but that affect your friends, neighbors and families.

How will you make educated choices about everything that this government pays for? There's so much more than the big and controversial items. Will you decide that eight percent of your taxes goes for a school-lunch program for inner-city poor? Another six percent to inspection of meat-processing plants so you don't get e. coli poisoning? Nineteen percent to the Coast Guard so they can look for "dirty bombs" shipped to Honolulu? Do you trust your neighbor to decide how much should be used for federal debt retirement? Do we stop funding AIDS research, and let the pharmaceutical companies decide only to pursue the drugs that will make them a profit? What about money to help out those who are still homeless six years after Hurricane Katrina - how much of your money do you want spent on them?

Comment

Of course not. . . I'd decide all my moneys went to things I gave a crap about.

But really, if you look, you'll see that the categories I suggested (Education, national Defense, infrastructure) are pretty general. Everythign you mentioned could fall into a larger general category to be distributed appropriately by people who know better.

The system would essentially act as a means of budget making so that funding doesn't get so lopsided to where certain programs/areas are basically throwing away money by spending thousands of dollars on individual hammers, while others are essentially neglected and relying on recycled materials from the 70's.

I'm not saying it's a good system; just that it's doable and that, in my idealized brain, other people as good or better at making important decisions than I am.

Comment

Everythign you mentioned could fall into a larger general category to be distributed appropriately by people who know better.
                      You want to decide for yourself ... AND you want the decisions made by "people who know better"? Fail.

Comment

I want my decisions to be more specific than simply deciding who makes my decisions, but not so specific that I'm deciding every issue individually.

I want more control, not all the control.

Hyperbole. Fail.

Comment

I'd also like to mention how much i hate how ebay sellers and certain amazon sellers do not ship to hawaii for bogus reasons or overcharge for shipping and handling.

almost 1/2 the time i try to order something from amazon (that isnt free shipping) i get charged same or more for the product. $30 <1 lb thing? $30 shipping pls kthx! the other half of the time they claim it isnt technically feasible or possible to ship the trinket to Hawaii.

sometimes the ebay seller wont even ship to outside the united states. (they mean continental)
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

.............and that, in my idealized brain, other people as good or better at making important decisions than I am.
                            Ah, where da love for de matapules of dis worl?

Leo, you an' matapule need get togeder foa some kava some ti moa quickee!
                            Last edited by matapule; April 29, 2011, 02:56 PM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                              I'd also like to mention how much i hate how ebay sellers and certain amazon sellers do not ship to hawaii for bogus reasons or overcharge for shipping and handling.

almost 1/2 the time i try to order something from amazon (that isnt free shipping) i get charged same or more for the product. $30 <1 lb thing? $30 shipping pls kthx! the other half of the time they claim it isnt technically feasible or possible to ship the trinket to Hawaii.

sometimes the ebay seller wont even ship to outside the united states. (they mean continental)
                              I usually have it shipped to my family on the mainland and then have them slap it in a flat-rate box before sending it here.

Get's it here for like half the price, takes an extra couple of days, but whatever. Bypasses the Hawaii Sales tax issue, too.

Comment

Bypasses the Hawaii Sales tax issue, too.
                                Wha? Yu like crappy roads an' no public resrooms in 808? Yu no lik where tax money spent so yu say I pay no taxes? Called trowing baby out wit bafwater!

Comment

Working...
                                X