This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

I had to renew the annual registration for my boat. It was a grand total of $15, and was due on March 31. I sent my check two weeks early, payable to DLNR/DOBOR (Dept. of Land and Natural Resources/Dept. Of Boating and Ocean Recreation).
    Apparently the state is desperate to generate more revenue, because they sat on my check for almost two weeks and then on April 2 they returned my $15 check to me along with a letter saying I had missed the deadline and owed a late payment penalty of... fifty cents.
    And yes, it cost them a 42-cent stamp to send me the letter about the 50 cents, so now they're looking at only an 8-cent net profit.
    But wait, there's more!
    They included an envelope for me to send the extra 50 cents... and they put another 42-cent stamp on that! So now they're 34 cents in the red!
    Maybe I should write a letter to Governor Lingle?
    I've decided that since they think I owe them $15.50, I'm going to send them a check for $16... and then demand that they refund 50 cents to me.

Idiots.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

That reminds me of something similar that happened to me last year. I received a 71¢ check from the Writer's Guild...a foreign reuse payment for a cartoon my dad wrote. Yes...71¢!!! It cost the WGA 41¢ to mail it. I had to split the check 4 ways...and pay 41¢ each to mail 3 paltry checks to the mainland! I never did cash that 71¢ check. Think I'll frame it instead!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        I've decided that since they think I owe them $15.50, I'm going to send them a check for $16... and then demand that they refund 50 cents to me.

Idiots.
        Careful. (As I keep reminding myself) It's not a good idea to get into an argument with an idiot. Especially an idiot with power.

But what would be fun .... Send in the check for $16. When they respond you tell them that you run your business the same way the Feds do on the tax form - round every thing to the nearest dollar. Then offer to connect them to your accountant - know anyone that can do a convincing Indian accent?

Comment

Working...
        X