Mauna Loa eruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mauna Loa eruption?

You and I and most people know including geologists at HVO know that the chances of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa erupting at the same time is next to zero. Mauna Kea hasn't erupted in several thousand years and many consider it extinct, though I think I read that it is officially dormant.

As far as people being prepared for most disasters, most people are not. What I only wanted to say in my original post to this topic is that the North area of the Big Island, Hamakua, Waimea, Kohala are the safe places to be should a catastrophic or even long term Mauna Loa eruption sends lava down the eastern and southern flanks.

I agree people should be prepared. The Red Cross, CD and other agenices are usually only there to provide the most basic of necessities and usually only for a short term.

The island is big enough to handle a dramatic shift in population to the North and there are routes of escape in the North to get off the island if need be.
    Last edited by mel; September 15, 2004, 09:35 AM. Reason: fix typo
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

the chances of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa erupting at the same time is next to zero
      Sympathetic detonation, maybe?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        Sympathetic detonation, maybe?
        Greetings Miulang....Craig's and Mel's reply say it all when it comes to preparedness here. Since my wife and I live in Laupahoehoe, we appear to be out of the immediate danger zone. The real problem comes for those nesting at Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the southwest flank of Mauna Loa. The slope there is fairly steep...I recall Harry Kim mentioning this several years ago when he was civil defense chief here. Kim felt the lava would move fairly fast on this flank...much faster than in areas near Hilo. A prudent Big Island resident would have a survival kit which I keep in the car. I always keep the gas tank at least half-full in the event a flow or earthquake kills the electricity. Power outtages are common here. Many of us are just too complacent when it comes to the rumblings of mother nature. You wouldn't believe the traffic mess created by rain-induced landslides along the Hamakua Coast. All part of the fun in the outter reaches of the Empire. Thanks for your concern and well-honed observations. My canoe is ready....Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Roberts
          A prudent Big Island resident would have a survival kit which I keep in the car. I always keep the gas tank at least half-full in the event a flow or earthquake kills the electricity. Power outtages are common here. Many of us are just too complacent when it comes to the rumblings of mother nature. You wouldn't believe the traffic mess created by rain-induced landslides along the Hamakua Coast. All part of the fun in the outter reaches of the Empire. Thanks for your concern and well-honed observations. My canoe is ready....Russ
          Russ:
          You're a man after me own heart! When you prepare for something like this, in some ways it might actually help forestall disaster. I think that's why we have insurance on our health and our cars (and why the insurance industry makes so much kala off of us): If you prepare like that, the likelihood of your needing to use it is far less than your not being prepared and being sent upriver without the proverbial canoe...

Malama pono,
          Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One good thing about being near the shoreline at HPP in Kea'au is that you'll know if you're in danger because all the coqui's will stop if at night, or you'll see the Ohia trees afire up by the fire station on 21st street long before it would reach me.

If we're cut off because the Pahoa Highway was inundated with lava, because we're so out in the boonies, we're on catchment and have satellite. Most of us have some sort of back up generator all ready because of HELCO's rolling black outs. We shop at Costco so we're stocked. Our homes are built on solid rock so very little chance of soil liquification.

I have two 20lb propane cylinders and my Weber Gas grill ready for the days without power or a great lava party. My neighbor is off the power grid with 13 solar photovoltaic panels powering her entire home. My elderly mother and father live with me (yes I asked them to live with us) and they're from the old days so our food pantry is typically overstocked with canned goods and lots of toilet paper (remember the dock strike of the 70's). We keep a few gallons of Clorox handy for water purification just in case and in the event of a moderate lava flow, I have five to six foot high stone walls surrounding my one-acre property with two driveways on perpendicular sides of my lot so if one side gets dammed, I still have another side to get in and out. We have several tarps two hand-crank radio's, two 1-million Candle Power spotlights, four FRS two-way radio's, one full power CB radio, lots of batteries, one 400-watt power inverter, and two 5000-gallon water catchment tanks on high ground with a five foot ditch around the low side, plus two 6-foot high 400 sq foot lava plateaus on the steep graded side of our property just in case you need a lava proof high ground.

I think we're prepared if in the event we cannot leave because of some hollywood-fast pahoehoe lava should flood our area. But as was said earlier, even pahoehoe travels like molassas on a cold day..."Oh my gosh! here comes the lava, I'm walking as fast as I can should I slow down?"
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              One good thing about being near the shoreline at HPP in Kea'au is that you'll know if you're in danger because all the coqui's will stop if at night, or you'll see the Ohia trees afire up by the fire station on 21st street long before it would reach me.

If we're cut off because the Pahoa Highway was inundated with lava, because we're so out in the boonies, we're on catchment and have satellite. Most of us have some sort of back up generator all ready because of HELCO's rolling black outs. We shop at Costco so we're stocked. Our homes are built on solid rock so very little chance of soil liquification.

I have two 20lb propane cylinders and my Weber Gas grill ready for the days without power or a great lava party. My neighbor is off the power grid with 13 solar photovoltaic panels powering her entire home. My elderly mother and father live with me (yes I asked them to live with us) and they're from the old days so our food pantry is typically overstocked with canned goods and lots of toilet paper (remember the dock strike of the 70's). We keep a few gallons of Clorox handy for water purification just in case and in the event of a moderate lava flow, I have five to six foot high stone walls surrounding my one-acre property with two driveways on perpendicular sides of my lot so if one side gets dammed, I still have another side to get in and out. We have several tarps two hand-crank radio's, two 1-million Candle Power spotlights, four FRS two-way radio's, one full power CB radio, lots of batteries, one 400-watt power inverter, and two 5000-gallon water catchment tanks on high ground with a five foot ditch around the low side, plus two 6-foot high 400 sq foot lava plateaus on the steep graded side of our property just in case you need a lava proof high ground.

I think we're prepared if in the event we cannot leave because of some hollywood-fast pahoehoe lava should flood our area. But as was said earlier, even pahoehoe travels like molassas on a cold day..."Oh my gosh! here comes the lava, I'm walking as fast as I can should I slow down?"
              Eh, Craig! I hope your neighbors are as well prepared as you are. Otherwise, guess who's coming to stay????? BTW: You know a Lance and Erica who moved there a couple of years ago from Seattle? I went to grad school with Erica up here in Seattle. If you know her and see her around, tell her howzit from Suzanne.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; September 15, 2004, 05:44 PM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Actually the area people should really concerned about
                along with Hilo and HOVE is South Kona. The terrain
                there in South Kona, the 1950 lava flows took only
                a matter of hours to reach the ocean. The crazy thing
                is people have built houses on that 1950 lava flow.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Eh, Craig! I hope your neighbors are as well prepared as you are. Otherwise, guess who's coming to stay????? BTW: You know a Lance and Erica who moved there a couple of years ago from Seattle? I went to grad school with Erica up here in Seattle. If you know her and see her around, tell her howzit from Suzanne.

Miulang
                  Oh you gave your cover away Suzanne! Okay I nevah saw your name. Looks like Lance and Erica made a good move (see my post on Paradise Lost). But my neighbors are far and few between so unless I actively seeked them out, I wouldn't know them from the cashiers at the Wiki Wiki Mart up the road. If you private message me (click on my name in this thread) and give me their phone number I'll look them up and tell them all about your alter ego on this board.

Comment

Eh, our Mt. St. Helens up here wen go have one manini fut (oni steam and ash) yesterday. Still get plenty earthquakes dis morning, so dey figure going fut again pretty soon.

Get plenty lolo kine guys going up to da mountain to see if going erupt again. Wat kine dis? Almost like da buggahs who chase da ocean wen da tidal wave stay go out to sea, yea? (right befoa da buggah come back insai). Dey say where dey letting peeps go too far away foa get hit on da coconut by one car-sized boulder, but if was me, I would stay away and watch da ting on TV from da safety and comfort of my own hale(dey getting continuous feeds on da local cable news network).

At least da seismologists up here talking wit your guys on da Big Island, though: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln10a.html

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Eh, our Mt. St. Helens up here wen go have one manini fut (oni steam and ash) yesterday. Still get plenty earthquakes dis morning, so dey figure going fut again pretty soon.
                      News reports that I have seen on the net this afternoon indicate a larger eruption may be imminent.

U.S. Raises Alert for Mt. St. Helens

Mt. St Helens Declared hazard, public evacuated from area

This seems to be a developing story. Let's hope people hear the warnings and get out of harm's way before the mountain blows its top again.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

maybe that was the hiccup before the big belch

Comment

I tell you! Oni get lolohead kine people! Even afta da scientists wen go tell peeps to evacuate from da observatory dat's closest to da anticipated eruption (about 5 miles away), dem guys oni wen move anoda 2 miles down da road...Man, if was me, I would hele outta dere fasta den you could say "pahoehoe"!

NW Cable News doing live feeds so we can see wat's going on. Seattle about 200 miles to da north, so not going affect us...da peeps in Vancouver, WA and Portland and Beaverton (where stay Nike) gotta worry about da ash fall though.

Miulang

Comment

I was in Idaho wen Mount Saint Helens went topless. Ho boy dat was one spectacle even from Idaho. Day wen become Night and da ash dat wen fall down. I was riding my bike on da highway wen da ash stay come. I thought someone was burning some major rubbish as da ash flakes were like leaves falling all ova da place. Pretty soon dea was more ash den asphalt on da ground and I wen realize someting really bad wen happen. I came home and spock da news on tv and wen drop my jaw! Jus like 9/11! Dat was unreal!

Comment

Mt. St. Helens just erupted again... showing live on a cable TV channel near you. The live picture has a large steam cloud coming out of the top of the mountain.
                              (7:00 a.m. HST)
                              Last edited by mel; October 4, 2004, 07:06 AM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                Mt. St. Helens just erupted again... showing live on a cable TV channel near you. The live picture has a large steam cloud coming out of the top of the mountain.
                                (7:00 a.m. HST)
                                According to the local news reports, it's mostly steam (which is good) and there isn't too much upper level wind, so whatever ash there is will probably remain within the crater or close to it.

Here: http://www.kirotv.com/news/3778655/detail.html
                                Just like one hapai wahine...cannot predict exactly when da ting going explode!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X