Daylight savings time ending Sunday 2am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daylight savings time ending Sunday 2am

Daylight saving time ends on the mainland at 2 a.m. Sunday in the local time zone. There will then be a two hour time difference to the West Coast, and five hours to the East Coast.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Daylight savings time ending Sunday 2am

Grammar/spelling bugaboo: technically, it's "Daylight SAVING Time," without an "s" - really! (What difference it makes, I couldn't tell you.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Grammar/spelling bugaboo: technically, it's "Daylight SAVING Time," without an "s" - really! (What difference it makes, I couldn't tell you.)
      I'll try and remember to say "Daylights SAVINGS Time" the next time we meet just to bugaboo your OCD self.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah View Post
        I'll try and remember to say "Daylights SAVINGS Time" the next time we meet just to bugaboo your OCD self.
        Try "DaylightS SavingS TimeS" then.

And I'm not OCD ... I'm CDO, so the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!

Comment

I'm an equal opportunity speller, I put it one way in the thread title, and another in the posting. Actually, I erroneously thought it was "savings", like, "I keep my savings in the bank". Thanks for pointing out little bit of mainland-ese speak, or rather, spelling.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

What really gets me is how people still use the term "standard time" when DST ends. Why is that time "standard," when DST is used the majority of the time (appx. 8 month out of the year).

I know. It didn't start off that way when the federal govt. first mandated DST for most of the country beginning in the 1960s. (It used to be about 6 months long.) But as it has gotten extended in recent years, maybe DST should now be referred to as standard time, and the rest of the year referred to as Daylight WASTING Time.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              and the rest of the year referred to as Daylight WASTING Time.
              Ahem, that would be Daylight Wastings Time in the 808.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                What really gets me is how people still use the term "standard time" when DST ends. Why is that time "standard," when DST is used the majority of the time (appx. 8 month out of the year).

I know. It didn't start off that way when the federal govt. first mandated DST for most of the country beginning in the 1960s. (It used to be about 6 months long.)
                I think you could call that "asked and answered." The "standard" term comes from establishment of standards for clock time in order to efficiently operate railroads, as you certainly knew. But as for changing the terminology to reflect the time format used for the majority of the calendar year ... that's on the list to resolve right after we adopt the nearly-global standard of the Metric system.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Thanks for pointing out little bit of mainland-ese speak, or rather, spelling.
                I hadn't thought of it as mainland-ese until you pointed that out, since Island folks don't worry about the clock adjustment ... except when trying to remember what time it is when you are calling your mainland pals!

Comment

Except for Arizona and other isolated spots of resistance where they lost their saving.

Are you Saved? It's way past Time! Knock your clock, today's The Day!
                  Last edited by Kaonohi; November 4, 2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: A flash of inspiration!
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I think you could call that "asked and answered." The "standard" term comes from establishment of standards for clock time in order to efficiently operate railroads, as you certainly knew.
                    As you surmised, my question was more rhetorical than anything else.

But as for changing the terminology to reflect the time format used for the majority of the calendar year ... that's on the list to resolve right after we adopt the nearly-global standard of the Metric system.
                    Perhaps. But on a similar topic, recall how people widely referred to cars with manual trans as being "standard" back in the days when automatics were in the minority. As autos gradually supplanted manuals on the roads, I've noticed that fewer people refer to cars with manual as being standard. Nowadays, I only hear, "Can you drive standard?" from older motorists. Younger folks commonly use the term stick-shift.

What is referred to as "standard" or "conventional" in the popular vernacular can indeed change and evolve over time.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 4, 2012, 07:17 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X