Mauna Loa eruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mauna Loa eruption?

Yep, the "eruption" has kind of toned down. There is activity just below the mountain with indication of "harmonic tremor" on the move (probably lava moving underneath the mountain).... well at least that is what the guy at the news conference is saying right now. Probably more episodes of "eruptions" to come.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If you ever get a whiff of Mount St. Helens news, be sure to pop by the live Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam.
      This is an image of Mount St. Helens, taken from the Johnston Ridge Observatory. The Observatory and VolcanoCam are located at an elevation of approximately 4,500 feet, about five miles from the volcano. You are looking approximately south-southeast across the North Fork Toutle River Valley.
      Last edited by pzarquon; October 4, 2004, 07:45 AM.

Comment

You know it's so hard to imagine now that Mount St Helens used to have a peak!
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          You know it's so hard to imagine now that Mount St Helens used to have a peak!
          It's trying real hard to rebuild one. There have been reports that inside the crater is a dome of at least 100 feet high right now. If that doesn't get blown away, that could be the start of a new peak.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think that'll ever happen. Now that the pressure valve's been knocked off the top, it'll probably just vent forever like the rest of us on this board.

So what Miulang, I wen read dat you put sesame seed oil when you cook fish too? Ho sistah jus drink em already! You keeping da sesame seed stock holders real happy

Comment

I don't think that'll ever happen. Now that the pressure valve's been knocked off the top, it'll probably just vent forever like the rest of us on this board.

So what Miulang, I wen read dat you put sesame seed oil when you cook fish too? Ho sistah jus drink em already! You keeping da sesame seed stock holders real happy
              bahaha! Yeah, I going buy some stock in one sesame oil processing company. No kidding, though, dat stuff sure make stuff taste more ono...but oni if you use liddo bit. You eva use tahini (sesame seed paste). Dey use dat stuff in Middle Eastern cooking a lot (baba ghanouj, etc.) Even if made from da same ingredient (sesame seed) da ting stay taste so different!

Miulang

P.S. Listening to Amy Gilliom and Willie K on da headset right now (gotta drown out da odda buggahs in my office). Dey make nani music together.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This article says Mauna Loa is in the midst of building itself up. Same thing is going on here at Mt. St. Helens. Since October, there has been a dome building up in the middle that's now 750 feet high. The volcanologists predict that if the activity remains at the level it's been at lately (they doubt that activity can be sustained for a long period of time), maybe in 10-20 years Mt. St. Helens will once again look like it did before it blew its top. We went down to see it last weekend. Pretty awesome. So peaceful and quiet (we were about 10 miles away from the activity); only indication of any activity was the puffs of steam.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln10p.html

Miulang

Comment

Aloha Everyone,

Thanx Aaron for the map you provided of the faults and zones. I had been looking all over the net for one.
                  I am in Kealakekua Bay and have felt Many earthquakes. I am in right in the Pali. I also have read what I could find on the 1958 earthquake. It only took a couple of hrs. at one point fo Mauna Loa to have an effect here due to a "submarine"
                  It's all very interesting

Comment

No problem, actually there was an underwater eruption at Kealakekua a long time ago. That bay area has had a lot of seismic activity hapen there too.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Re: Maunaloa eruption?

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      ...An estimated 30,000 of the 40,000 deaths it caused were by tidal waves, and the worldwide sky was so red....
                      Everyone and anyone can easily live through a '"tidal wave". Mainly
                      becuase "tidal waves" are waves caused by the tides - They are the
                      ordinary waves people see on the ocean.

"Tidal Wave" as it is applied by many, is an egregious misnomer for a
                      type of wave that has nothing whatsoever to do with tides or
                      tide-producing forces.

This is a too-common misconception. Merriam Webster notwithstanding...
                      It is a term that seismologists hate. What many erroneously call
                      "tidal waves" is actually "tsunami" or seismic sea wave.

Comment

But if that tidal wave was big enough and not caused by seismic activity (such as a mammoth hurricane or a metor) it could cause some major damage and death.

And like a Tsunami, it's just a wave generated by seismic activity. And as such back in the early 70's a 6-inch tall tsunami hit the shores of Kahala and drove inland for quite some distance.

Comment

But if that tidal wave was big enough and not caused by seismic activity such as a mammoth hurricane or a metor it could cause some major damage and death. like a Tsunami, it's just a wave generated by seismic activity. And as such back in the early 70's a 6-inch tall tsunami hit the shores of Kahala and drove inland for quite some distance.

Ok: Who ARE YOU and what have you done with Craig Watanabe!?

Comment

Eh Kimo, I tink Craig gotta get back in da practice of talking about scientifical kine stuff because he going back work next week...he going be one tool guy at Home Despot! And you know tool guys gotta talk scientifical when da wahines come around and wanna know da difference between one Phillips screwdriva and one Allen wrench!

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; December 14, 2004, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X