Buying laptop - 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying laptop - 2012

The HP ENVY line get good marks, here's an example of a higher grade model from that line at a lower $ level (new) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Pack...item4603c8a62b

What would be a better bang4buck consideration?
    Does $1,400 mean it's THAT much better than my $600 HP DV7Z which has served well but is dying after less than 2 years?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Buying laptop - 2012

why don't you just go to the HP site to buy? then you get their guarantee/warranty? or go to a store? what is the attaction of buying from EBay? just curious - I've never made a purchase from them.
    Last edited by anapuni808; May 15, 2012, 11:53 AM.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      why don't you just go to the HP site to buy? then you get their guarantee/warranty? or go to a store? what is the attaction of buying from EBay? just curious - I've never made a purchase from them.
      Don't have a credit card, I'm looking at much more than just HP (many of which aren't in stores), I'm in Kaaawa and rarely get to go shopping, when I do I find other deals that I need to investigate via the net, I buy new and get the guarantee/warranty (I've never benefitted from either), I can get cheaper/safe deals online, and can pick it up at the PO one block away or delivered to the house. There are more places to buy online than just ebay, and most accept MOs/checks.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 15, 2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        I purchase from EBay frequently. All kinds of things including laptops. Their prices can be much less, but you need to shop around. Also, no sales tax......usually. The new computers from EBay come with a full factory warranty.

I have never had a bad experience with them.

For Ron, I avoid the higher end computers.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

A decent laptop should give an average of 5 good years, my HP is way under that, and has had minor issues/repairs re the power/tranny brick. Don't want to repeat that, but it has been overall what I wanted in design and features. I'd like to upgrade.

Comment

I havn't needed more than one USB port so far, nor the 17" screen of my dying laptop, and I can probably find this unit for even less $ http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toshiba-...item35bb79d721
            I do want good DVD playing/copying capabilities and speakers. I guess there's no BluRay, which sux.
            Can someone find negatives in this unit, or a better one in the same price range?

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the answers! that helps me with more info for my next purchase.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                I havn't needed more than one USB port so far, nor the 17" screen of my dying laptop, and I can probably find this unit for even less $ http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toshiba-...item35bb79d721
                I do want good DVD playing/copying capabilities and speakers. I guess there's no BluRay, which sux.
                Can someone find negatives in this unit, or a better one in the same price range?
                The referenced Toshiba has a 13" screen. You pay a premium for that smaller screen. In general, The least expensive laptops (specification for specification) are those with 15.6" screens. For example, here is a Toshiba with the larger screen, better specifcations, and better operating system for $100 less (when you include shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Sate...item4603cdf4b9. The downside is that you only get 6 hrs battery time as opposed to 9 hrs with the smaller screen (but I have always found rated battery time as waaaaay optimistic!). Realize that most laptops are going to have an inferior speaker system. If you want quality sound it is better to purchase a good set of plug-in speakers.

Toshiba gets generally good reviews. However, when purchasing on EBay, I would enter in the specifications you are looking for on the left hand side search box and leave the manufacturer blank and see what turns up. Then do a sort in the upper right hand corner for "price + shipping" lowest first. I think you will get a better feeling for what makes the most sense for you.

Having said the above........I just purchased a new laptop for my daughter (HP). I bought it at Staples. Why? It was on sale as an in-store demo and came with a 5 year warranty backed by Staples. If she has any problems, she takes it back to Staples. If Staples can't fix it, they give her the money back or a new computer of equal specifications. Even with CA sales tax it was about the same price as one on EBay with only a one year warranty. It was a one time deal at Staples and I couldn't pass up the warranty offer.

So back to my original premise, give EBay strong consideration, but shop around before you purchase.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Thanx, mata, it seems pretty good. I know I'll have to conceed some options from my current HP no matter what I buy, but I'll keep that one on the list to further research.
                  I'll be posting more options, and hope to read some more replies of other units to compare.

Comment

If you haven't looked at them yet, ASUS makes a nice laptop, in a variety of prices and configurations. Very Solid machines, have had mine for a couple of years, and the only thing I would change is the inter-graded video card, but I have a desktop for occasional gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220740

General
                    System Type Notebook
                    OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
                    Service & Support 1 year warranty
                    Notebook typeMidsize ,
                    Budget
                    Processor / Chipset
                    Processor Intel Pentium T4400 / 2.2 GHz
                    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
                    Cache L2 cache - 1 MB
                    64-bit Computing Yes
                    Front Side Bus 800 MHz
                    Memory
                    RAM 3 GB
                    Max RAM Supported 4 GB
                    Technology DDR2 SDRAM
                    Storage
                    Floppy Drive None
                    Hard Drive 320 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
                    Interface Serial ATA-150

The specs on that ENVY you are interested in are pretty nice, I have to say. I guess what I was mainly getting at, is if you haven't considered ASUS, it may be worth looking into. These specs are pretty solid, and half the price of the HP http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...-35035010.html

It should be worth noting too, I am NOT a fan of HP.
                    Last edited by TATTRAT; May 16, 2012, 07:51 AM.
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Tat, I have heard good things about ASUS. In fact I asked the saleman at Staples what he owned, and he said ASUS. He went on to explain that he got a significant employee discount on it was the reason for hs selection. He said that HP are typical of inexpensive laptops like ASUS or Toshiba, no better and no worse. He said at that particular store, they tended to have the most complaints from DELL owners.

The ASUS you referenced seems to be a solid machine. My only comments are that it has an "old school" Pentium processor, the processor is a bit slower than the Toshiba I referenced, it has only 3Gb Ram as opposed to 8, and the Toshiba has W7 Prosfessional which is the upgraded operating system (but W7 Home Deluxe works fine too just less bells and whistles). I guess that is the reason for the price difference. As far as a processor is concerned, I prefer the newest and faster Core i5 or even better Core i7, the referenced Toshiba has an i5 processor.

Either way it is fun to talk computers, sort of like kicking tires on a new car purchase.

Comment

I have only had bad luck from HP products. I will never buy another HP computer, printer or anything else.
                        My FIL has a dell that's been working for 10 years. My HPs expire in about 2..
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Tat, I have heard good things about ASUS. In fact I asked the saleman at Staples what he owned, and he said ASUS. He went on to explain that he got a significant employee discount on it was the reason for hs selection. He said that HP are typical of inexpensive laptops like ASUS or Toshiba, no better and no worse. He said at that particular store, they tended to have the most complaints from DELL owners.

The ASUS you referenced seems to be a solid machine. My only comments are that it has an "old school" Pentium processor, the processor is a bit slower than the Toshiba I referenced, it has only 3Gb Ram as opposed to 8, and the Toshiba has W7 Prosfessional which is the upgraded operating system (but W7 Home Deluxe works fine too just less bells and whistles). I guess that is the reason for the price difference. As far as a processor is concerned, I prefer the newest and faster Core i5 or even better Core i7, the referenced Toshiba has an i5 processor.

Either way it is fun to talk computers, sort of like kicking tires on a new car purchase.
                          Yeah, mine was an impulse buy before I headed over to the UK a couple years ago. Got a HELL of a deal on it, and it has out performed a couple of my newer/"better" laptops(one personal, one business). I had heard good things, but having owned one for a while, have been really impressed with it's stability, build, performance, and quality. My HP, and Toshiba have since took a dump, but the ASUS chugs right along, glitch free(knock on wood).
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

I've developed a hindering vanity streak from owning one of the all-time sexiest laptops ever, my croaking HP DV7z. I wish all brands used this model's shell for whatever guts they choose to fill it with. I can't help but get disillusioned looking at a great unit that doesn't look cool. I got to get past it, I'm probably never going to equal in looks what I'm about to throw away. Function over form, function over form... but it's got great features too, like a fantastic keyboard, fine optics, my friends love the whole package, plus the Altec Lansing speakers can't be beat, just awesome. I need to take my time on this next buy, I don't want to blow it. Another problem is that one person's dog meat is another's filet mignon. The ASUS' get plenty bad raps, Dell has a bad rep that may have been overcome lately, HP can be hated, it get's to seem like a crap shoot. Toshiba, Lenovo, and Gateway tend to have good reviews as a standard, and there are newer brands like MSI that look to be making headway. ooooo, my head... I may try to have my DV7z repaired or just get another new cord/brick and see if that does the trick. $50-, what the hey? Might be all it is, again.
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 16, 2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

May have found my happy medium http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-i7.../dp/B0062TURJC Pretty much what I have but on steroids.
                              Scroll down for interesting user reviews.

I see them on ebay for under $900 and in my preferred brushed metal, instead of black. They do tend to get hot, not good.

Opinions, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X