Today At Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today At Work

Someone walked into my office, wearing a pull over sweater, jeans, athletic shoes and a backpack. I honestly thought she was a man, except something was a little 'off'. I kept sneaking peaks and eavesdropping, and for the life of me, I couldn't tell, but I decided it must be a man. Later, I was near the exit as she was leaving, and she asked me for the restroom key. I just stood there like a dummy. Thank goodness, my coworker came up behind me and handed her the ladies key.

What would you have said or done? My mind was struggling with the best way to ask, “do you want the men’s or women’s key?” This reminds me of that SNL skit, where store clerks, etc., can’t figure out the gender of ‘Pat’.

...and so, what happened at work today?

Re: Today At Work...

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    What would you have said or done?
    I would have held out both keys and said, "Do you want to be traditional or adventurous?" and then wink . After he/she took one key, I would say, "Ah, good choice!"
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: Today At Work...

Her faux pas! She should have asked you for the key to the ladies room. To put you in a spot when she was totally aware of her gender bender role was impolite, at the least.

K
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Today At Work

I think another strategy you could have employed would have been just to have handed her either one of the keys. Had the tendered key been the incorrect one, there probably was a near 100% chance he/she would have come back to you and requested the proper one. At that time, you could have said "Oops..my mistake...I didn't realize I gave you the wrong key...sorry!"

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
          I think another strategy you could have employed would have been just to have handed her either one of the keys. Had the tendered key been the incorrect one, there probably was a near 100% chance he/she would have come back to you and requested the proper one. At that time, you could have said "Oops..my mistake...I didn't realize I gave you the wrong key...sorry!"
          Hey, that's a good idea! I'll try that next time!

OK, someone else post what happened at work today!

Comment

I don't want to get fired since people in the workplace tend to go online and snoop on their employees from time to time...so I just want to say I have the greatest boss in the world who is letting me take off the month of Dec. while relatives are in town. My terrific boss always tells me that family is more important than work. How's that for a rockin' boss?!

Of course it helps that the State has closed the Hawaii Film Office.

Comment

Here's something from my day. These were the last two calls I had today.
              Call #1:
              "And who am I speaking with please?"
              "No."
              "I'm sorry?"
              Long pause.
              "Ma'am? Could I have your name please?"
              "No." (Uh...WTH?)
              "Ma'am, what can I help you with?"
              "Spanish." (because she didn't pregunta numera dos)
              "Okay. Un momento, por favor y transferimos."

So I transfer her to the Spanish line.

Call #2:
              Some guy yakking on and on about how he wanted to go with our company because the company he was with before ripped him off and he thought ours would appreciate him. I knew this call would have to go to a different department, but while he was talking, I noticed the first call was still blinking on my phone. I guess I forgot to release it to the Spanish line. I felt bad, so I pressed the release button and accidently hung up on the guy who was telling me how much he loved our company. Oops!

I felt bad, but what can you do?
              Last edited by surlygirly; December 2, 2009, 11:42 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I had arranged for some subcontract work to be done today. Went through three hours of prep work, and nobody shows up.

I call the firm and the scheduling person calls back:

"Sorry, when I turned the page the two pages stuck together and instead of the 2nd, I wrote you in for the 9th."

Fortunately, it was not a critical issue, and now I'm pre-prepared!

K
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                  Someone walked into my office, wearing a pull over sweater, jeans, athletic shoes and a backpack. I honestly thought she was a man, except something was a little 'off'. I kept sneaking peaks and eavesdropping, and for the life of me, I couldn't tell, but I decided it must be a man. Later, I was near the exit as she was leaving, and she asked me for the restroom key. I just stood there like a dummy. Thank goodness, my coworker came up behind me and handed her the ladies key.

What would you have said or done? My mind was struggling with the best way to ask, “do you want the men’s or women’s key?” This reminds me of that SNL skit, where store clerks, etc., can’t figure out the gender of ‘Pat’.

...and so, what happened at work today?
                  I'd have embarrassed the heck out of her by giving her the men's keys. Hey dress like a guy, get treated like one. Dress like a girl (being a guy) and the awkward glance is okay.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Hey dress like a guy, get treated like one.

I didn't know that jeans and a sweater was "guy attire". That's what I wear most of the time.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

(I had a really great day at work with a great boss & great co-workers. Sorry)
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                        I didn't know that jeans and a sweater was "guy attire". That's what I wear most of the time.
                        It can be if you end up looking like a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          (I had a really great day at work with a great boss & great co-workers. Sorry)
                          Don't be sorry! I'm with you. I just got home from playing over 6 straight hours of live music and it sure didn't feel like work. It's great for the mind, body and (especially) the soul. Wednesday nights are definitely the highlight of my week.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Don't be sorry! I'm with you. I just got home from playing over 6 straight hours of live music and it sure didn't feel like work. It's great for the mind, body and (especially) the soul. Wednesday nights are definitely the highlight of my week.
                            I once had a job assembling bicycles for a small store in Idaho. I loved that job! Pay sucked but I loved that job!

Comment

I love my job, too. I didn't mean this thread was to complain about anything, but just to share interesting things that may have happened, or just anything at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X