Small size desktop computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small size desktop computers

While at Sam's Club this morning I encountered a desktop computer called the Averatec All-in-One PC for around $522. The style of this computer is sort of like the iMac G4 computer but instead of the base being manapua shaped it's a small thin box.

It has a 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 1Gbyte of RAM, 160 Gbyte hard drive, runs Windows XP Home, DVD burner, 5 USB ports (3 back/2 side), RJ45 network jack, 18 inch LCD display and weighs 9 pounds.

The drawback to this system is the keyboard but since it's a USB connected unit once can change that with a little extra cost and it does not come with Windows Works.

Re: Averatec Desktop Computer

Originally posted by helen View Post
    While at Sam's Club this morning I encountered a desktop computer called the Averatec All-in-One PC for around $522. The style of this computer is sort of like the iMac G4 computer but instead of the base being manapua shaped it's a small thin box.

It has a 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 1Gbyte of RAM, 160 Gbyte hard drive, runs Windows XP Home, DVD burner, 5 USB ports (3 back/2 side), RJ45 network jack, 18 inch LCD display and weighs 9 pounds.

The drawback to this system is the keyboard but since it's a USB connected unit once can change that with a little extra cost and it does not come with Windows Works.
    Sounds like a netbook impersonating a desktop.

Good for maybe 5th-grade to 10th-grade students. No chance of playing Fallout 3 or any hardcore 3D games.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

True and to tell the truth I don't play hardcore 3D games. My home computing needs are basically checking out web forums and other web sites, running Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel for home use), using a ssh client, storing photos and videos, sync the iPod, developing controller code and playing games like Freecell, Spider Solitaire and Nethack.

Of the 4 active computers that I own (2 others are not active) are:
      1. Compaq AMD Sempron 2GHz/512Mbytes RAM/120 Gbyte disk drive (desktop, main home system, with a non-working CD-burner), got it Fall 2004
      2. Compaq AMD Sempron 2GHz/384Mbytes RAM/80 Gbyte disk drive (laptop, using this system right now), got it Summer 2006
      3. ASUS Eee Netbook, Celeron 900 MHz/? RAM/16 Gbyte SSD, (don't remember the memory size), got it Fall 2008
      4. HP 1030NR, Atom 1.6GHz/1 Gbyte RAM/16 Gbyte SSD, got it Jan. 2009

SSD = Solid State Device, instead of spinning hard drive it uses the same materials as a flash drive to store the data.

The Averatec All-in-One is the desktop version of my HP 1030NR, granted I will be trading a slower processor speed for slightly more disk space and a smaller foot print if I am going to replace the Compaq desktop for it.

Comment

I bought this Compaq at the Kona Wal-Mart for 434.50 (including tax). It has 2.2Ghz AMD Sempron processor, 2GB RAM,320GB HD running Windows Vista.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

One disadvantage of the Averatec is when it goes - so does the monitor. You can't save money on the next round by buying just the CPU. Monitors don't suffer obsolesce anywhere near as fast as the rest of the computer.

Nor can you easily upgrade it if you decide you want a bigger monitor.

Comment

If you like your Asus netbook and want it in Desktop form, while saving as much actual desktop space as possible, Asus has already done it. Here's a pic of their Asus EEE Box PC (from newegg):

Plug in your own LCD monitor and an external DVD drive. They're about $300, Amazon has free shipping to Hawaii.
            Last edited by mapen; February 25, 2009, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Re: Small size desktop computers

Dell sells something called the Tiny computer. One model in that class is the Optiplex 170, I think it uses the Intel Atom Processor too.

Comment

Working...
              X