Frozen food...safe or not safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen food...safe or not safe?

Cleaning out the freezer today I found a bag with well wrapped boneless/skinless chicken breasts and a coupla rib eye steaks...all dated Aug. 2007. There are very few ice crystals on any of the food. So, what's the HT consensus...safe or not safe to eat?

Re: Frozen food...safe or not safe?

As long as it was frozen all that time, it's safe to eat. Microorganisms aren't going to multiply while it's frozen solid.

Of course it might be mummified and tough as rope if it wasn't vacuum packed and if the water was allowed to evaporate (freeze-dried). But if it looks decent after it thaws it should be OK.

I've had venison more than two years old that was vacuum packed and kept deep frozen all that time. Was as good as the day it went into the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Cleaning out the freezer today I found a bag with well wrapped boneless/skinless chicken breasts and a coupla rib eye steaks...all dated Aug. 2007. There are very few ice crystals on any of the food. So, what's the HT consensus...safe or not safe to eat?
      You could always send it over to one of us and we'll let you know how it turned out...

It's safe. Worst case is freezer burn. If there's a problem at all, it's that you put a date on it!
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Here's some tips:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...g/index.asp#12

Bon Appetit!

Comment

I think if it still looks/smells ok after thawing, you are good since it looks all right frozen.

I'd eat it. I'd probably cook it to well done too tho just cuz I'm like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
            I think if it still looks/smells ok after thawing, you are good since it looks all right frozen.

I'd eat it. I'd probably cook it to well done too tho just cuz I'm like that.
            And therein lies my problem...I have almost no sense of smell so I can't use that as a gauge.

Thanks for all of the replies. And, thanks for the link, leashlaws. I think, with the chicken, I'll thaw it all at once and if it still looks good, I'll either bake it in some sort of a casserole concoction or do it all up in the crockpot. I'll wait on the steak 'til my daughter's next visit so she can be my sniffer!

DINNER AT TUTUSUE'S!

Comment

Brussel sprouts are the only ones you want to avoid, frozen, fresh, raw, cooked, ...just throw them away!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Brussel sprouts are the only ones you want to avoid, frozen, fresh, raw, cooked, ...just throw them away!
                Ooooh nooooo...I love brussel sprouts! Really!

Comment

Wasn't there an Alfred Hitchcock Presents or Tales from the Crypt episode with frozen meat was used as a muder weapon? Then the culprit got away with the crime by serving the cooked evidence by having dinner with the investigative officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Wasn't there an Alfred Hitchcock Presents or Tales from the Crypt episode with frozen meat was used as a muder weapon? Then the culprit got away with the crime by serving the cooked evidence by having dinner with the investigative officer.
                    With a side of brussel sprouts, perchance?!

Comment

I found a 15 month old steak in my fridge, ate it, and lived, so I think you'll be OK.

I thawed it out and one section of it was a little dried or freeze burned, but the rest looked OK. I hate to waste food, so I chopped off the dry part and made beef stroganoff out of it. Since an old steak might be dry I decided a saucy recipe like stroganoff would be a good idea.

It tasted good and I'm alive and well, so bon apetite

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Ooooh nooooo...I love brussel sprouts! Really!
                        As do I. I've loved them since I was little. A little butter and pepper on top, mmm..
                        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Brussel sprouts...

Actually, I've heard if cooked right when they are real young, they are indeed good.
                          Doubt I'll ever know...
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

How about some muscles from Brussels? That has been frozen for awhile.

Comment

I remember an episode of Northern Exposure where Joel finds a frozen mammoth carcass.

Then when he finally gets researchers to the spot, it's gone.

He finds out much later that Walt retrieved it and ate it. Apparently he had been doing that for years and thought nothing of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X