X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

Originally posted by sansei View Post
    hi,today myself and my mom went to ala moana and where we live,we waited for about 8:10 am to 8:30 am and then it took us to the stop by the state id place where we waited for the country express bus to ala moana and then while waiting for our no 57 kailua bus,we waited for about half and hour until we boarded the no 57 kailua bus and then we went on our destiny and we waited at alakea for our bus no 13 and we waited for about 10 Minute's and it's good that it didnt rain and while we waited at the rest stop close to where we get off,we waited for about 10 minute's and then we arrived home at about 12:00 pm and we had lunch and this was our bus ride which took a bit long and this is a reason we need rail is we dont need to wait for buse's that come at the lesiurely time and then take you to your destination.

Well thank's for your time
    The problems here, as I understand it, is you will not be able to get to Kailua on the fixed rail, and your wait for each train on the fixed rail might even be longer.

Comment

Major finacial issues about the rail project, per the lead story in today's paper, including this:

The proposed 20-mile rail transit system is likely to cost the city an additional $1.7 billion over the next 20 years, raising the total price tag to at least $7 billion, according to a state review of the project's finances.
      The 135-page report released yesterday also contends there is "substantial risk" that the $1.7 billion additional cost could grow to $4.5 billion.
      (...)
      "If construction and operating costs replicate the experience of many peer projects in cities without previous rail development, or if the optimistic federal fund assumption is not fully realized, this new and additional funding requirement ($1.7 billion) could grow to nearly $4.5 billion," the report said.
      (...)
      Also, money from the state's general excise tax dedicated to the rail system is likely to be about 30 percent lower than forecast, while ridership also is "likely to be substantially lower" than currently forecast, the report says. It notes that the project will be competing with other financial obligations for the city, including unfunded pension and retiree health care liabilities and increased costs related to compliance with a consent decree to improve the city's waste-water and sewage systems.
      (...)

I predicted this in previous posts, as have others. STOP RAIL NOW!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

But think about the GRIDLOCK, oh the humanity!

By the time they get around to it billions will be chump change.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          By the time they get around to it billions will be chump change.
          Indeed. At the moment, the cost is $350 million per mile.
          KITV.com put a poll on their website today. As of now, 79% of the votes say that we should abandon the rail plan.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
            In Chicago, it cost me $360.00 to park at the Hyatt for a 3 day weekend. The parking within Honolulu can be increased to a point where it would be unreasonable to drive there and leave your car on a daily basis.
            I think this is a great idea! I actually recommended it on another forum, about three years ago. Whether or not they build rail transit, they should do this. There has to be some incentive for people to avoid driving their cars! That is the ONLY way we are going to cut down on gridlock. Just think: we would never have to raise taxes again, and the budget will always be balanced due to gargantuan amount of parking fines collected by the city. Parking garages really need to step up, too. Many of these lots are “prepay,” meaning there are either “feed-the-meter” spots or a fee collection machine. What is nearly always missing is a security guard!

The bottom line is, we need more input on alternatives. The one thing rail opponents have in common is that they are completely clueless as to how to solve gridlock. It is true that very few individuals possess any kind of leadership qualities when it comes to solving problems. Reading through 1,085 posts on the subject of rail transit is ample proof of it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              The bottom line is, we need more input on alternatives. The one thing rail opponents have in common is that they are completely clueless as to how to solve gridlock.
              I don't think that's true. Alternatives are proposed, but they get dismissed or ignored by pro-railers.

Expanded highways and more lanes will improve congestion. Fort Weaver road into Ewa used to be gridlocked everyday four hours at a time during the rush hours. They constructed an extra lane in both directions and voila, the gridlock is nearly gone. The before and after difference that one new lane made is rather impressive.

Honolulu's highway infrastructure has not had a major upgrade in decades - such neglect and lack of action will of course be problem, but rail is not the smartest solution.

Comment

There are no easy alternatives or solutions, no matter what the best way is it will be a total beotch to implement. Overpricing parking won't do it just like pricing ciggies to death has had little effect in lessening that negative habit. People want to drive to work/where ever, it's ingrained in our culture, for many it's a status thing and for others it's their only retreat from what bugs them daily, they will pay any price. Rail's success has been way over-rated because we're all sick of the status quo, but rail as proposed will just make it worse overall.

Comment

Interesting report, why does it attempt to assess construction and op costs for a 30 year period when the revenue forecasting really only looks at about 20 years, isn't the GET increase only for 15? Sure, I understand one has to look at supporting the infrastructure after build but how often do other road projects get a 30 year analysis? Without seeing a rise in gas taxes in decades, who honestly thinks there is no cost overrun or lack of funding for new roads?

Yeah, I know there's a few here who are against rail but can those honestly accept this report as accurate when it incorporates the costs of bus operations for 30 years into the rail analysis? That's a cost that will exist whether rail goes forward or not. That's how the cost overrun gets inflated on this report. It is indeed biased.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                    Expanded highways and more lanes will improve congestion.
                    This is the kind of circular argument that gives anti-railers such a bad name. It defies logic to use this type of rationale. In order to to reduce congestion you need to remove cars from the road NOT add hundreds or thousands more, which would be the net effect of paving over more of the ’aina (more cars). That’s to say nothing of the hundreds of million$ it would cost to pay off landowners whose homes will be bulldozed to make way for mapen’s roads.

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                    Honolulu's highway infrastructure has not had a major upgrade in decades - such neglect and lack of action will of course be problem, but rail is not the smartest solution.
                    What do you call H-3? That “highway infrastructure” was well beyond an upgrade... it was an entirely NEW freeway thoroughfare. Total cost: $1.3 billion or about $80 million per mile. What is the return on THAT investment?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Rail as it is presented at present is a total loser in every aspect, a major boondoggle waiting to blow up in our faces.
                      Everybody favors a proper 'rail' solution, but what we have now is merely the remnants of Mufi's election scam. He knew tauting anything rail would boost his approval no matter how crummy it was and that he'd be long gone from Ho' Hale when the chickens came home to roost.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      That’s to say nothing of the hundreds of million$ it would cost to pay off landowners whose homes will be bulldozed.
                      Or to even mention the other losses that no amount of $ can replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Rail as it is presented at present is a total loser in every aspect, a major boondoggle waiting to blow up in our faces.
                        Everybody favors a proper 'rail' solution, but what we have now is merely the remnants of Mufi's election scam.
                        Regardless of how you feel about rail or Mufi, the Carlisle Administration is going to build it. So in the interest of the city and county of Honolulu, I sincerely hope you are wrong.

It’s a go!

A ceremony marks the start of Honolulu’s rail transit system

By Gene Park

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Feb 23, 2011

Groundbreaking yesterday was a milestone in the battle to bring a rail transit system to Honolulu, a debate that has spanned more than four decades.

U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye, engaged in the debate since the idea first surfaced in 1966, described it as “a long journey, at times painful.”

“Believe me, it’s not over yet,” Inouye said in his remarks to an audience of more than 400 observers, city workers and state dignitaries at Kualakai Parkway in Kapolei. “This is just the first segment of the 20 miles. The journey has not ended.”

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

When I saw that over-smiling pic this morning of Mayor Happy Feet, I wondered what his facial expression will be in a few years when thinking of this day.

Comment

Kobayashi asks why city needs a rail system

"Why do we need a train on this island?" she asked, noting the city faces a $100 million shortfall.

"The biggest source of revenue is property taxes," she said. "I'd hate to see us raise property taxes."

In July, the city said it would use general fund revenues including property taxes to help pay for the Kapolei-to-Ala Moana project.
                            Rail is Honolulu's biggest mistake of the 21st century. We cannot afford it.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

as I read of the Groundbreaking ceremony for the Rail System here, I'm reminded of this quote from the Great Law of The Iroquois Confederacy: 'In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations'.
                              Last edited by anapuni808; February 27, 2011, 09:09 PM.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                Recall Goofy Mufi's campaign promises: "Do we need it? Can we afford it?" Such buffalo feces! (Remember; I told you so!)

I produced a run of anti-Mufi posters before second term saying:
                                DO WE NEED HIM?
                                CAN WE AFFORD HIM?
                                Hope you saw one, it was a small run.....

Anyway, we certainly need relief on our roads, but there are many unexplored options.

Manhattan, also an island, with water table issues, created a subway system back in the 1800's that exists today - with some essential upgrades. This overrides the need for shallow-buried i`iwi, land rights, and so many other things.
                                An elevated monorail would also solve many problems. We are thinking so small, so short term, that after we create rail, this will bite us in the butts in a short while, and we will be using duct tape to get through tomorrow.

I don't know why our politicians can't see beyond their term limits (actually, I can), but if we want to make Hawai`i Nei better, we had better start applying the pitchforks to their asses on threat of dissolution!

WE CAN DO THIS! But, not in the current paradigm!

Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X