Skype type number for Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype type number for Hawaii?

Is there anyone who offers a 808 online number via a service like skype?

I'm back to looking for a day job and all i have is a mainland cellphone. I would like a local number to put on my resume, etc...

maybe one of those pay as you go cell phones would work, but would prefer the skype style number.
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Re: Skype type number for Hawaii?

I dont think skype or vonage is offered in hawaii because of how the 808 numbers are handled.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
      I dont think skype or vonage is offered in hawaii because of how the 808 numbers are handled.
      I'm curious could you elaborate further on your comment "how the 808 numbers are handled." Is 808 area code numbers handled differently than mainland area codes ?
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I voice chat to friends in Hawai'i every morning. It means I have to get up pretty early.

I think I get through "Free" on 001- 808

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          I voice chat to friends in Hawai'i every morning. It means I have to get up pretty early.

I think I get through "Free" on 001- 808
          Barry, you can buy incoming numbers for skype, like regular telephone numbers... but they don't offer any 808-Hawaii numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            I'm curious could you elaborate further on your comment "how the 808 numbers are handled." Is 808 area code numbers handled differently than mainland area codes ?
            I dont know the exact details but its because of only have one C-LEC in hawaii which is Hawaiian telcom and they have the monopolopy on the 808 numbers.

One of the rules of getting an 808 number is be a phone company in hawaii that has a Hawaii based office.

I dont think vonage or skype has a hawaii based office.

Comment

I dont know the exact details but its because of only have one C-LEC in hawaii which is Hawaiian telcom and they have the monopolopy on the 808 numbers.

One of the rules of getting an 808 number is be a phone company in hawaii that has a Hawaii based office.

You mean ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier). HawTel is the latter. A CLEC is on the lines of Pacific LightNet (Which I believe offers VoIP with 808 area codes- like duh they wouldn't be called 808NetPhone ), and Time Warner Telecom.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Legally that is not true. HT has to wholesale a block of numbers to any company that wants to buy. I assume since they have to buy a whole block of numbers, skype/etc don't because they don't feel they would sell enough of them to make it worth it.

Comment

Sorry, I checked again and had to delete my original post.

A few months ago I checked every voip "skype-like" service to see which ones had 808 phone numbers. Gizmo5 seemed to be the only one that had'em, but now they no longer offer 808.
                  Last edited by mapen; March 18, 2009, 01:26 AM. Reason: No more 808 area code

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    You mean ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier). HawTel is the latter. A CLEC is on the lines of Pacific LightNet (Which I believe offers VoIP with 808 area codes- like duh they wouldn't be called 808NetPhone ), and Time Warner Telecom.
                    ya i knew something like that. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                      Legally that is not true. HT has to wholesale a block of numbers to any company that wants to buy. I assume since they have to buy a whole block of numbers, skype/etc don't because they don't feel they would sell enough of them to make it worth it.
                      just got confirmation, you need local presence in hawaii to get 808 numbers and most consider hawaii too small of a market to build out a local presence.

Comment

I've been wanting, and asking, this ever since Skype offered SkypeIn. Lately, I've been checking with other VoIP carriers as well and as you all pointed out nobody has 808, unless you like me go with T-Mobile's @Home service.

MagicJack has been saying since last summer that they are getting the 808 area code but keep postponing. I thing they are just bullshitting me.
                        kiddori

Comment

Working...
                        X