Google Creates Internet Browser to Take on Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Creates Internet Browser to Take on Microsoft

i'm pretty happy with firefox but i'll probably install/try chrome when it comes out.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zmQ&refer=home

i'm happy with some of the other stuff that google has created (maps, news, search engine, etc) so it's worth at least a try... (btw, i have a gmail account but i don't find it to be very intuitive; i prefer my yahoo account...)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: Google Creates Internet Browser to Take on Microsoft

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
    i'm pretty happy with firefox but i'll probably install/try chrome when it comes out.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zmQ&refer=home

i'm happy with some of the other stuff that google has created (maps, news, search engine, etc) so it's worth at least a try... (btw, i have a gmail account but i don't find it to be very intuitive; i prefer my yahoo account...)
    Because you can never have too many browsers?

Don't tell me you have the Safari browser from the Apple folk.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

nope; i use firefox pretty exclusively. my version of IE is pretty outdated; never bothered to use it. never installed safari....
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Not sure I want to try Google's browser. Google's business model is to spy on you in order to target advertising to your Google searches or to target advertising according to the content of your personal Gmail emails.

So I would guess that Google's browser will be spying on your Internet browsing habits in order to figure out what advertising to show you.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
          Not sure I want to try Google's browser. Google's business model is to spy on you in order to target advertising to your Google searches or to target advertising according to the content of your personal Gmail emails.

So I would guess that Google's browser will be spying on your Internet browsing habits in order to figure out what advertising to show you.
          If your using Firefox 3, Google already has that ability.

Don't understand what Google is trying to accomplish with this.
          Firefox for all it's raves is only on 1 in 4 PC's.
          Safari is practically given away with i-Tunes and has just 1 percent of the market.
          Opera and Netscape are on live support.

Microsoft's "Cloak Mode" for IE8 may be a bigger factor for MS over Google than Google's browser is over MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
            If your using Firefox 3, Google already has that ability.

Firefox for all it's raves is only on 1 in 4 PC's.
            Safari is practically given away with i-Tunes and has just 1 percent of the market.
            Opera and Netscape are on live support.

Microsoft's "Cloak Mode" for IE8 may be a bigger factor for MS over Google than Google's browser is over MS.
            The reason Firefox is only 1-n-4 is because all PC's ship with IE, most people don't care or know the difference to use another browser. IE sucks. IE is the only non-standard browser out there, and you have to hack your web design most of the time to get it to work right. IE is losing market share all the time, and said that IE 8 will be its first standards based browser. You should see the conundrum they are in with it breaking a lot of IE7 sites. They are having to create 2 types of the browser for that reason...

As for "Cloak Mode" , that's been in Safari since 2005.

Google's Chrome will be built on Webkit which is what Safari uses and Apple's uses as a framework for many HTML based applications.

Webkit can produce very rich web applications. For geeks out there check out SproutCore. MobileMe's apps are built with it for webkit, and can be used on Firefox as well.
            website - http://www.brianhancock.com
            blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
              The reason Firefox is only 1-n-4 is because all PC's ship with IE, most people don't care or know the difference to use another browser.
              More like the PC makers (i.e., Dell, HP, Gateway) don't care. Either they entered into an agreement with MS not to preinstall competitor's browser or perhaps Mozilla do not want their FF be commercially available.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                More like the PC makers (i.e., Dell, HP, Gateway) don't care. Either they entered into an agreement with MS not to preinstall competitor's browser or perhaps Mozilla do not want their FF be commercially available.
                Doesn't really matter that they don't care... it's still true. When joe blow gets a new PC, gets home and gets on the internet, he's just going to use the browser that's on there already as default.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                  Doesn't really matter that they don't care... it's still true. When joe blow gets a new PC, gets home and gets on the internet, he's just going to use the browser that's on there already as default.
                  Yeah, but sooner or later joe blow will eventually learn there are other browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Yeah, but sooner or later joe blow will eventually learn there are other browsers.
                    Hence IE market share is shrinking while other browsers are growing.

Comment

Google unveils browser, acknowledges debt to Apple

"Google Inc's new browser software is designed to work 'invisibly' and will run any application that runs on Apple Inc's Safari Web browser, company officials said on Tuesday," Eric Auchard reports for Reuters.

The company said the new Web browser, dubbed Google Chrome -- a long-anticipated move to compete with Microsoft Corp, Mozilla Firefox and other browsers -- is now available for download [WIndows-only beta currently]," Auchard reports.

"Google Chrome relies on Apple's WebKit software for rendering Web pages, he said. It also has taken advantage of features of community-developed browser Firefox from Mozilla Corp. Google is a primary financial backer of Mozilla," Auchard reports. "'If you are Webmaster, and your site works in Apple Safari then it will work very well in Google Chrome,' Sundar Pichai, Google's vice president of product management said at a news conference at the company's Mountain View, California headquarters."

"Apple WebKit is widely used by Web developers, not simply for Apple applications like the iPhone but also by Google itself with its mobile phone software, called Android," Auchard reports. "'We have borrowed good ideas from others,' Pichai said. 'Our goal here was to bring our point of view but do it in a very open way,' he said in response to a reporter's question."

"'We don't want to live in a world where all that (innovation) is locked up and kept secret,' Google co-founder Larry Page told the news conference. Page was a primary supporter of the Chrome project among Google's executive team," Auchard reports. "Sergey Brin, Page's fellow co-founder, said Google planned to continue to work closely with Mozilla and hoped to see future version of Chrome and Mozilla's Firefox become more unified over time."

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post

This is my not-researched, no-business-experience, hand-waving guess:

Google isn't trying to win a browser war. They're gunning to own the desktop, which means they need to provide all the basic tools a user would want in one "package". Their browser doesn't need to be best of class; just good enough.

As LocalMotion's recent post pointed out, Google is borrowing a lot of work from Firefox and Safari. Their browser won't be significantly better or worse. Where Google may add value is integration with their other applications, AdSense, PageRank, and all that other data mining stuff.

And yeah, Google mining user data for statistics is the price we pay for "free" stuff (like putting up with TV commercials). Any company would do it, if they were in a position to. Microsoft lost that battle, and so now they're pushing privacy to counter Google's advantage.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Looks like Chrome had a little drama, but all is right with the Google utopia now.
                          Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 11, 2008, 03:16 PM.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                          X