Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Shake and Quake!

There was 3.9 aftershock at 5:27AM 27 miles north of Kailua-Kona (Where
the second quake happened). My mom woke me out of a dead sleep to instruct
me what to do if we have another earthquake.

http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021179.html
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Ali`i

I wonder why none of the TV reports say the duration of the quake? Do you think the experts really know? It's the duration of an quake that does the damage.

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
One of the ways to protect the land is to concentrate development and increase densities, while mixing uses to accomodate a mix of dwellings, businesses, retail, and public use space.
I don't want to keep pushing the thread off-topic, so I'll just say I'm totally with you there (not just for poor people, but for everyone). Oddly enough me and the whole super-liberal county of Multnomah apparently. UGB and mixed-use walkable neighborhoods are all the rage here, downtown's the expensive place to live, and it's a 25 minute drive out of a million+ metro area to be in total wilderness.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
I wonder why none of the TV reports say the duration of the quake? Do you think the experts really know? It's the duration of an quake that does the damage.
Well, there was more than one quake, and I've heard varying reports as to the length of each. But the Star-Bulletin had a wrap-around Page A-1 with a big seismograph scribble and a huge headline that simply read: "15 SECONDS" The USGS entry for the 6.7 quake doesn't seem to indicate a duration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaguy
There was 3.9 aftershock at 5:27AM 27 miles north of Kailua-Kona
Here's the page for your aftershock. Here's the Big Island quake map centered on the Waikoloa area. A very busy week, as evidenced by all the squares, and the red squares indicate shakes in the past hour (so for a little while longer, your aftershock is colored red).

Last edited by pzarquon; October 17th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Kia`aina

Speaking of emergency stuff and Costco, they also have those handcrank LED flashlights atm (in Mililani anyway) that also have a radio with an antenna (which works well), a siren thingy, strobe light and uh I think that's it. $24 iirc for 2. Not to mention that big bucket of rehydratable food for like $110 or something.

I really wanna try an MRE tho. Just once. When they had them at Foodland, I really wanted one, but I couldn't decide on a "flavor."
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
. Here's the Big Island quake map centered on the Waikoloa area. A very busy week, as evidenced by all the squares, and the red squares indicate shakes in the past hour (so for a little while longer, your aftershock is colored red).

Actually this aftershock was in the ocean fronting Puako (link). It was in the general vicinity or the second 6.0 earthquake up by Mahukona. Looks like we are in for some more trembler's.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

The radio this morning said that there was another EARTHQUAKE TODAY off of the big island that registered.

Did anyone on Oahu feel this one today TUESDAY?
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Ali`i

We just had another aftershock, a 3.6 southwest of Waikoloa (link)
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Kumu

I went to Star Market in Mililani last night. It was amusing. Cold cuts, bread, bottled water, and charcoal areas were empty. I guess Star didn't have inventory to restock those areas. I also saw that a lot of fruit and veggies were being thrown away due to spoilage.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ali`i

Interesting that the eipcenters of these earthquakes are on the west side of the Big Island. Kind of wondering if the Big Island is moving westward to make room for that new island underwater on the east side.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Just a quick off-topic message agreeing with TimKona's sentiment about "mixed use" zoning and higher-density planning in urban areas. I don't think he's talking about ghettos, Dick. I think he's talking about planned communities where cars are less necessary (because of the mixed-use zoning, leaving more things in walking proximity to others), or where the maids who clean the hotel rooms live near enough to their workplaces not only to walk (or take a quick public transport) to work but to enjoy the same beaches and parks. When that maid, his children's teachers, his employers, and his grocer can live in the same general area, there is a heightened sense of community (think wider sidewalks with lots of tables and chairs and enough room for dog-walkers to pass), and that leads to all kinds of other neato things (like tourism, even). Think of the coolest parts of downtown Portland and Seattle, and you have a good idea of what I mean. Kaimuki comes closest on this island, with its central municipal lots and wide, wide range of independent (and chain) businesses and services all within walking distance, not to mention its wide sidewalks ('though the city didn't go far enough with that).

Kakaako could have been perfect for this kind of development.
Old October 17th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Just a quick off-topic message agreeing with TimKona's sentiment about "mixed use" zoning and higher-density planning in urban areas. I don't think he's talking about ghettos, Dick. I think he's talking about planned communities where cars are less necessary (because of the mixed-use zoning, leaving more things in walking proximity to others), or where the maids who clean the hotel rooms live near enough to their workplaces not only to walk (or take a quick public transport) to work but to enjoy the same beaches and parks. When that maid, his children's teachers, his employers, and his grocer can live in the same general area, there is a heightened sense of community (think wider sidewalks with lots of tables and chairs and enough room for dog-walkers to pass), and that leads to all kinds of other neato things (like tourism, even). Think of the coolest parts of downtown Portland and Seattle, and you have a good idea of what I mean. Kaimuki comes closest on this island, with its central municipal lots and wide, wide range of independent (and chain) businesses and services all within walking distance, not to mention its wide sidewalks ('though the city didn't go far enough with that).

Kakaako could have been perfect for this kind of development.
Dwellings of varying sizes mixed together is a good idea. Mixing rentals with owner occupied dwellings is a bad idea IMO.
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Interesting that the eipcenters of these earthquakes are on the west side of the Big Island. Kind of wondering if the Big Island is moving westward to make room for that new island underwater on the east side.
Mystery Quake

"While the exact mechanism will take a thorough study of seismic data, a likely trigger was the release of vertical pressure exerted by the weight of the Big Island on the ocean floor, or lithosphere, Poland said.

"The earth's crust is flexing under the Big Island, and that flexing will occasionally cause breakage," he said."
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
The radio this morning said that there was another EARTHQUAKE TODAY off of the big island that registered.

Did anyone on Oahu feel this one today TUESDAY?
I guess this is what the radio was talking about:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...829017463.html
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Ali`i

We had another quake in South Kohala. This one was a 2.6 at 8:49AM
(link)
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Guess were not the only ones getting shook up these days.

Quote:
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A strong earthquake struck in the ocean southwest of New Zealand late Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey
reported, but police said they had no immediate reports of injury or damage. The agency did not mention any tsunami alert.
The quake, which registered magnitude 5.8, struck at 11:35 p.m.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Quote:
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A "micro" earthquake with a 2.6 magnitude rattled central North Carolina early Tuesday,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Quote:
SYDNEY (AFP) - A strong earthquake with a magnitude of up to 6.8 has struck the New Britain region of Papua New Guinea, sparking a tsunami warning in a region recently shaken by a violent volcanic eruption. The US-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre warned regional authorities Tuesday to stay alert after reporting the temblor -- which it rated at 6.8 -- struck to the south of the island of New Britain in the Solomon Sea at 0125 GMT.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061017...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

WHATS GOING ON!

Last edited by damontucker; October 17th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Ali`i

Theories I've heard in the last 48 hrs:

-had a tsunami been generated because of the Alenuihaha Channel quakes, it would have struck the Kona coast in as little as seven minutes.

-Kona is not out of the woods: the depth and proximity of the largest southern earthquake was close enough to some major underground lava channels that there are concerns of the quake activity setting off either Mauna Loa and/or Hualalai.

-it's all Kim Jong Ill's fault

pax
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
we need a backup cross-Koolau transmission line or a new power station or two... how likely do you think either will be in the next decade? And how much more will the island population grow in that time. I don't think it'll be "99.98 percent reliable" for long.
The state should start seriously considering distributed generation strategies: Solar panels. We get more than enough sunlight here to do it. No fuel to burn. No moving parts.

It's possible for each single-family home to generate enough power for itself. But biggest hurdle is cost: About $20,000 to $50,000 depending on how much power they'd like to generate and what sort of system is installed (battery storage vs net metering, etc.). Avoid buying that Hummer or a couple of cars and it's paid for.

By having distributed generation, there's no need for additional transmission lines as the load would be carried locally.

I'm wondering how the retirement facility "Arcadia" (on Punahou Street near Maryknoll School) coped with this since they always generate their own electricity anyway. I believe they might actually be living off the grid.

There's a number of issues that have to be solved regarding self-powered homes inadvertently energizing transmission lines and injuring linemen. If those safety problems can be solved, distributed power generation by means of solar-electric panels seems to make a whole lot of sense.

The only other concern is hurricane damage. Perhaps they could be designed to be unplugged and quickly removed from their mounts when a major storm approaches.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Ali`i

i'm sure someone will have an easy answer for this but i just learned (to my great surprise) that my friend who lives in manoa had water all day while i live in a condo (makiki) where the water stopped flowing immediately after we lost power/electricity. i can understand us not having water cuz a pump must be used to push the water up to the top floors but why did my friend (who lives in a house) have water all day? is the water stored at a higher level than his house and so gravity is what pushes the water to the residents of manoa?

sorry for this dumb question but i was amazed when i heard my friend say that he always had running water on sunday....
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

I had water all day... nothing wrong with mine...(even had hot water all day because of my Gas water heater)
I live just off the Ala Wai.

Didn't you answer your own question about the pump?

Last edited by damontucker; October 17th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaguy View Post
The Big Island is slowly sinking due to its great weight that bends the outer rigid layer of the earth, according to the 2005 County of Hawaii General Plan. As the volcanoes grow, their weight is greater than what the earth can support.
There's a section of South Kona that's slowly shifting and sinking toward the sea.

Some geologists are concerned that a large section, measuring miles across, might suddenly "slump" one day and the results would be absolutely catastrophic. The huge surge produced by a seriously large slump into the ocean would literally scrub low-lying communities right off the land.

Similar slumps can be seen on other islands. The dramatic sea cliffs on the north coast of Molokai is the result of a huge slump. So is the Pali -- Kailua and Kaneohe used to be at a higher elevation.

No one knows when the next slump might happen. But it's the result of piling materials up over time. Eventually the pile settles (slumps).

When the quake hit, this thought briefly crossed my mind. That's what happens if you watch too much of the Discovery Channel and Nova. :-)
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaveice View Post
i'm sure someone will have an easy answer for this but i just learned (to my great surprise) that my friend who lives in manoa had water all day while i live in a condo (makiki) where the water stopped flowing immediately after we lost power/electricity. i can understand us not having water cuz a pump must be used to push the water up to the top floors but why did my friend (who lives in a house) have water all day? is the water stored at a higher level than his house and so gravity is what pushes the water to the residents of manoa?

sorry for this dumb question but i was amazed when i heard my friend say that he always had running water on sunday....
Somebody from the Board of Water Supply explained this on Sunday to Perry and Price: It takes power to pump water up to the holding tanks, but once there all the water flows to the customer via gravity. Once the tanks empty, if the power's out, no more water until the pumps can be powered up again.
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaveice View Post

Some neighborhoods get their water from big water storage tanks up above them in the hills. Water gets pumped from the wells to the storage tanks, and then the water flows down to homes by gravity. This works even when the power's off -- until the tank runs dry because there's no new water coming in to replenish it.

Edit: Scooped by the Linkmeister!
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
There's a section of South Kona that's slowly shifting and sinking toward the sea.
I believe you are mistaken, As far as I understand it is on the Puna coastline,
specifically Kapoho that is slowly sinking into the sea. link
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Ali`i

The most unnerving thing is these aftershocks may last for weeks according this
article (link)

Last edited by Konaguy; October 17th, 2006 at 05:04 PM.