TheBus news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TheBus news

Now that I'm employed again, I ride theBus every day from Hawaii Kai to Keeaumoku. I take the #1, and catch it at 5:30 a.m. I take the 1L back to Hawaii Kai, boarding between 3:45 and 4 p.m. at Keeaumoku & King. The afternoon bus ride is a movng zoo. I'm always thankful to get a seat by the window where I can be safe from getting hit by purses and backpacks. I sometimes wear my iPod without the sound on so I can appear to be tuned out.

I like my morning driver named George--super pleasant. My previous driver of the 82 Express, Debbie, I see on ocasion in the afternoon, and sometimes I get on her 1 to transfer to the 236 or to the 1L at Kahala Mall to get to Hawaii Kai.

We are a one-vehicle family, so whoever has the kids, has the van. Commuting by bus generally is pleasant, mornings are better than afternoons. I read the morning paper on the way in to work, which is a habit I treasure. Afternoon rides sometimes tests one's resolve. Smelly people,drug addicts, loud teenagers who have learned new swear words get on board and it can be irritating. It is hard to get a smile out of a 1L bus driver, and I can understand why, carting around the underbelly of society for hours on end. But getting a friendly driver really seals the deal for me, sets the tone for the whole ride.

Sometimes peope talk on the phone while on theBus. I don't think it's a good idea. Everyone listens. Nobody wants to know. And because it's theBus, people on thePhone talk LOUD. Make it short, sweet, codify it so we don't have to know how much bail is, and hang up!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      Anyone want to start a pool on how soon TheBus goes in for a fare increase?
      Don't want to start a pool but the last time the fare was increased as back in 2003. Honestly I don't think they need to increase the single ride fare but maybe what they ought to do is slightly raise the monthly bus pass, instead of $40 per month, make it $41 or $42 a month. As a rider you still come out ahead with that fee.

Comment

I gotta agree with Helen.

Nice to hear about your bus experiences, Lavagal!

Also happy to hear that bus ridership is up. Hopefully this could also correspond to less cars on the roads?
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Don't want to start a pool but the last time the fare was increased as back in 2003. Honestly I don't think they need to increase the single ride fare but maybe what they ought to do is slightly raise the monthly bus pass, instead of $40 per month, make it $41 or $42 a month. As a rider you still come out ahead with that fee.
          I agree, the single fare should not be raised. At $2, I think we have one of the most expensive single fares in the country. However, I do think the monthly unlimited bus pass can be tweaked. Perhaps leave the base bus pass at $40 but limit the range. As you need to ride longer distance bus lines, you add zones with a premium. So say an express bus from Makakilo to town would be $60. I think that's a fair reflection of the extra fuel needed for the longer route. And it's still much cheaper for that commuter than driving.

Comment

Without redoing the routes making a fare based on passing through zones is going to tough to enforce.

Another thing that could be done is reduce the $2 one way fare with transfers to $1 fare with no transfers. That might save the company on paper usage for the transfers.

Comment

Without redoing the routes making a fare based on passing through zones is going to tough to enforce.

Another thing that could be done is reduce the $2 one way fare with transfers to $1 fare with no transfers. That might save the company on paper usage for the transfers.
              Allow me to clarify. I've seen this done in other cities. Basically, certain bus routes will require the higher zone bus passes. I guess a better description would be certain bus routes require the upgraded bus pass to reflect the extra fuel consumption of that route. So the enforcement is simple, the driver just needs to look for that certain pass as each passenger gets on board for that particular bus route. The upgraded bus pass will work on all routes whereas the base bus pass will only work on the short local routes.

But yes, that is a great idea. Maybe it's time to abolish the transfers, no paper needed. Just make each ride $1 so if you always transferred, then it's just like $2 of today.

Comment

FYI on the local Valley Transportation Authority buses (as of 1 Sep 07), it's $1.75 for a single ride fare for adults, no transfers; $5 for an all-day pass; and $61.25 for a monthly Flash Pass.

Hmmmm, juss noticed that an all-day pass for a disabled / Medicare / 65+ senior is two bucks !!! A monthly Flash Pass for "those" people costs twenty bucks. Gas being what it is, that's quite an incentive.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

With the cost of gas spiraling higher and supposed demand for bus ridership and other alternative forms of transport increases with the systems we already have in place and the supposed less cars on the road, wouldn't this negate the need to having to build the rail? If people made adjustments just by the cost of gas alone and used their cars less and less car traffic was on the road, it is a matter of just increasing the number of busses we already have on routes in demand instead of spending big dollars to building something new from scratch.

As for zone bus pricing, I think there will be complaints coming in from rural areas about the higher prices than from those living in the urban core. Zone prices do make sense but the rural public won't like it.

A $1 bus fare for each leg without free transfers makes sense.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanx a lot The Bus and City officials

How many of you bus riders even know there is a $10 voucher available to make your monthly bus pass purchase $30?

I'll bet nobody here does.
                    Why? Because the City and The Bus don't want you to know.
                    It's been in effect for years, and after a bunch of 'delays' and the parties swearing they'll notify the public when it would become available, THEY NEVER!
                    I kept tabs on it big time, figuring these liars would pull thier crap, and they did. The only 'notice' was in the StarBulletin's Kokua Line, when a citizen asked the question, a year after it's availability.
                    This info is SO secret, that if there's a new face at the Middle St. office (which is the only place you can get it, and only during most people's normal working times, meaning you may have to take time off work to get it, thus nullifying the discount and jepordizing your job), I have to educate them on this part of thier job. They have NO clue. Same with City office workers.

You have to jump thru 10,000 flaming hoops to get it, of course, so if anybody is interested, you must be of very limited income, get a legal doc. of such (tax filings, etc.), go to the proper building and floor, submit the application, blah blah..., but it can be a help for many. If they only knew.
                    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 5, 2008, 09:18 AM.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Actually, with my new job, I was provided paperwork to deduct the price of my bus pass before taxes, making it a $30 bus pass. I've executed it and will begin with the $30 pass as of June. I agree things should be made more clear!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Yes, but it's kinda hard to make clear what isn't even mentioned.
                        Good you got some kind of break. Sounds as tho there is an alternative to the 'Low Income Bus Voucher' I'm speaking of, which also hasn't been circulated to the masses.

The mass transit rail fare has not been decided, and I can't imagine it being on a par with The Bus fares, which will help kill off potential ridership.

Few people ride mass transit for the enjoyment. It's mostly because they have no legitimate alternative. So we put up with The Bus' cockroach infestation, the freezing/sweltering temps, the crowded conditions, the attitudes/tempers/lack of common sense or decency, the stinky bums that leave thier stench behind forever, the loonies, the ai'no'kea's, idiot phone blatherers, drivers that stare straight ahead and do nothing else but drive, getting ditched at the curb, the multitude of physical attacks that almost always are kept from public attention, not having express bus service on holidays (and lose your job, like I did) so The Bus can have time off, for what? To vist Aunty?. Plenty more...
                        And, that's the up-sides to riding the bus.

People want/need that solo commute time in thier car, even if sitting in hours of traffic. For many, that's the only time off from family/friends/whatever.
                        Improving The Bus services in all aspects, without fare increases is the only way to go if any appreciable ridership is to occur. Cities like Austin, TX have eliminated transit fares and are doing reletively fine, and with a big increase in riders.
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 5, 2008, 11:28 AM.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Actually, with my new job, I was provided paperwork to deduct the price of my bus pass before taxes, making it a $30 bus pass.
                          I did that too when I used to catch the bus. I guess a lot of people do know about the bonus program and are signed up for it.

This is a press release on the City's website:
                          MAYOR COMMENDS OAHU EMPLOYERS FOR BUS BONUS PROGRAM

An innovative program that saves money for employers and workers who use public transportation has continued to grow as more businesses and agencies provide opportunities to participate.

TheBus BONUS! program allows employees to obtain transit passes or vouchers using pre-tax payroll deductions. Both the employer and the employee can save money since the deduction is not taxable by Federal, State or FICA withholdings.

Mayor Mufi Hannemann congratulated employers who offer the benefit. “This is a win-win-win for employers, employees and our community,” Mayor Hannemann said. “There is no cost to participate in the program, everybody saves money, and employers can help support public transportation.”

The Bloodbank of Hawaii is among the many employers who have seen a steady increase in BONUS! program participants. Four employees signed up for the program initially, but now 11 participate.

Public transportation is a good alternative to driving to work, and the program provides an added benefit, said Sally Lee, Bloodbank of Hawaii Chief Operating Officer. “Even though the numbers seem small, involving almost three times as many more employees in the program is very rewarding for us,” said Lee.

Transit vouchers can be used on all public transit systems on Oahu including TheBus, TheBoat, TheHandi-Van, Van-Pool Hawaii, and the LOTMA express bus from Central Oahu. Over 120 large and small Honolulu employers already participate in the program including banks, hospitals, hotels, law firms, consulting companies, non-profit agencies and City, State, and Federal government agencies. Altogether, about 8,000 employees now participate.

Employers interested in obtaining more information about the BONUS! program can call TheBus Customer Services at (808) 848-4500 or inquire further through the web at www.thebus.org/EmpProgram/EmployerProgram.asp.

Contact: James Burke, Transportation Services Public Transit Division Chief, 768-8363
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            With the cost of gas spiraling higher and supposed demand for bus ridership and other alternative forms of transport increases with the systems we already have in place and the supposed less cars on the road, wouldn't this negate the need to having to build the rail? If people made adjustments just by the cost of gas alone and used their cars less and less car traffic was on the road, it is a matter of just increasing the number of busses we already have on routes in demand instead of spending big dollars to building something new from scratch.

As for zone bus pricing, I think there will be complaints coming in from rural areas about the higher prices than from those living in the urban core. Zone prices do make sense but the rural public won't like it.

A $1 bus fare for each leg without free transfers makes sense.

My opinion would be the opposite, that this further justifies the rail. The articles are saying the buses are already near or at capacity so the growth in ridership will be physically limited which is a bummer since we got people wanting to use different modes of transit. Adding more buses would mean more vehicles on the road and while this will be offset by less cars since people are leaving their cars behind, increasing lumbering buses on the road ain't exactly ideal to clearing up traffic.

Comment

Increasing the number of busses cost way less than building a rail from scratch.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                Increasing the number of busses cost way less than building a rail from scratch.
                                Short term - yes, long term - no.

Comment

Working...
                                X