TheBus news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TheBus news

There is no bus system, here in this small town that I live in, in Virginia, you can't walk to the store. You have to drive to get around, so inconvienient. When is snows it's even more difficult. But I'll be alright.
    Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

Will TheBus employees be trained to drive the mass transit vehicles once in operation or do you think the city will contract workers from out of state?

Also, is it true some residents in Barbers Point have been told to be prepared to move within the next 5 years because of initial work that needs to be done on the mass transit system, i.e. many homes will be torn down and demolished.

I assume then the city will pay out alot of money to these residents, where will this money come from?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Where did you hear that about the Barber's Point people? That is kinda interesting! Maybe somebody could look into it a little further.
        Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          Where did you hear that about the Barber's Point people? That is kinda interesting! Maybe somebody could look into it a little further.
          Blaine
          Barbers Point is Govt. Property. No can be! Ayah! Rumors is worse than the enemy!!!!! Please get the facts straight.

Thank you very much.

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Even if they were displaced, they wouldn't get paid a cent from the City. They would just be trasfered to another project. It's mostly Navy Families living there. Some of the homes at Barbers Point were bought by Private Companies who rent to mostly Military Families...I know, my son rents a three bedroom there. His lease is for another two years!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; January 8, 2006, 02:10 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No the Barbers Point story was on tv or the newspaper a couple months back, they said city officials went door to door and told the residents of the possibilities. The transit rail has to go somewhere, meaning it either goes in the middle of the highway, or its elevated or lastly the city has to bulldoze both businesses and homes for this to happen. It happened on the mainland in many cities so I'm sure it will happen here as well.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
              No the Barbers Point story was on tv or the newspaper a couple months back, they said city officials went door to door and told the residents of the possibilities. The transit rail has to go somewhere, meaning it either goes in the middle of the highway, or its elevated or lastly the city has to bulldoze both businesses and homes for this to happen. It happened on the mainland in many cities so I'm sure it will happen here as well.

KalihiBoy
              I'm quite interested in this. Approximately when, what t.v. station, newspaper was it that carried this news worthy event? I'd like to search it out for my own reference.

Mahalo,

Alyn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; January 8, 2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I, too would like to know where I either saw or read this or perhaps if I was even imagining it which could be true as well. Nonetheless, the thought of homes and businesses being demolished for this rail line is a possibility.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                  I, too would like to know where I either saw or read this or perhaps if I was even imagining it which could be true as well. Nonetheless, the thought of homes and businesses being demolished for this rail line is a possibility.

KalihiBoy
                  ...Kalihiboy, I like you. At least you HONEST. You remind me of "Me!"

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Since this is a bus related news item:

Riders Say Bus Drivers Often Use Phones On Job

In that video link, they said that there'll soon be a law that will prohibit bus passengers from having their cell phone ringing or having conversations on loud speakers (mostly Nextel people). But the video was about how bus drivers talked on their cell phones while operating the bus.

The driver who I always catch TheBus to work is always on his cell phone when he picks me up. To make it interesting, he doesn't even check to see if I have a bus pass even though I flash it - he just looks towards the road and gets on the gas (I don't mind, as I hold on). I know that we've seen each other for a year, but if there's noob drivers who talks on their phones as well, then it'll be a matter of time until someone gets into an accident.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                      The driver who I always catch TheBus to work is always on his cell phone when he picks me up ... it'll be a matter of time until someone gets into an accident.
                      This is a huge assumption on your part. Frankly, until there is a law banning cell phone use while driving, your bus operator is in the free and clear. Hey, I say he deserves a pat on the back, for proving he can effectively multi-task in today’s high-tech world, or in mānoasurfer’s words, the “digital society.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Frankly, until there is a law banning cell phone use while driving, your bus operator is in the free and clear.
                        It was my understanding that it is against policy for city bus drivers to use their cell phones while driving.

Comment

This is a huge assumption on your part. Frankly, until there is a law banning cell phone use while driving, your bus operator is in the free and clear. Hey, I say he deserves a pat on the back, for proving he can effectively multi-task in today’s high-tech world, or in mānoasurfer’s words, the “digital society.”
                          I don't know about giving a pat on the back to the driver. If anything, the driver is working when driving the bus, do you chat on your personal phone while you are working? A doctor may be great at multitasking but would you want to be under the knife while he's got his bluetooth earpiece yapping away?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            ...do you chat on your personal phone while you are working?
                            As a matter of fact, I do. I would say I use it close to 30% of the time, while on the job. I know I am not the only one, and make no apologies for it. In fact, the most frequent period of usage for me, is while I’m on the road.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

As a matter of fact, I do. I would say I use it close to 30% of the time, while on the job. I know I am not the only one, and make no apologies for it. In fact, the most frequent period of usage for me, is while I’m on the road.
                              Calling for directions does not count!

Comment

I'm thinking this thread might become more relevant - the Advertiser reports this morning that bus ridership is up 10,000 passengers per month and that this will soon begin putting a strain on resources.

Anyone want to start a pool on how soon TheBus goes in for a fare increase?

Also (I haven't read through the whole transportation category) - does someone want to jump in with bus riding tips? I.e, best times to catch which routes, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                X