"Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hawaii Five-0" News & Sightings

sorry - no link there. but I think I saw you last nite!
    yes, they replayed MY episode this week. i'm glad you didn't blink n miss me (well, the back of my head) haha! could you not see the pic of me and alex? it's on there.

re: @TarynManning 's rant. I thought maybe her twitter account got hacked. As has already been said, it was certainly intriguing. I was only on set for one 12-hour day and I was EXHAUSTED! I can't imagine what it's like to keep up that kind of hectic schedule.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
      [...]I was only on set for one 12-hour day and I was EXHAUSTED! I can't imagine what it's like to keep up that kind of hectic schedule.
      Crew always has a longer day than the cast. We're just getting warmed up at the 8 hour mark! These long, long days, day in and day out is one of the main reasons I decided to specialize in commercials. We go gung ho for a few days to a week, maybe 2...then we have the choice to take some time off or go on to the next project if one is waiting in the wings! Oh so glamorous, huh?! NAHT!

Comment

Getting an offer they couldn't refuse (but not in the Godfather sense), Daniel Dae Kim and D.K. Kodama sold their share in the The Counter franchise at Kahala Mall. The restaurant will continue to operate, with the parent company holding a majority stake.

I liked the burgers well enough, but Daniel Dae Kim's likely tenuous connection was the only reason I ever went out of my way to eat there. There are plenty of good burger restaurants in town.

Perhaps more interestingly, at the Honolulu Gift Fair this past weekend, I ran into a woman who said she worked with a Realtor who had Daniel Dae Kim as a client. She said he was selling his house... but that it could mean anything, more than likely downsizing or upgrading rather than leaving. Still, interesting timing!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          A fan site posted the piece in its entirety.
          Thanks for posting that link.

What caught my attention was this:

Finding the opportunity to express emotion while staying within the boundaries of the rigid hero is tricky, O'Loughlin, 34, admits. 'I'm the first one to say please let him kill someone or do something naughty,' he says.
          Confirms to me that O'Loughlin, however talented an actor he may be, has been miscast for the role of Steve McGarrett. I don't care what the reason is. McGarrett killing anyone in cold-blood, execution style, is a "Jump The Shark" moment that the show would never recover from.

All this "intrigue" is not doing the show any favors. Even under the best of circumstances, Hawaii Five-0's ratings aren't so great that a season 2 renewal is a slam dunk. Reports about the 2 main stars being unhappy on a show that is already on the bubble might just be the thing that prompts the network bosses to pull the plug.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Perhaps more interestingly, at the Honolulu Gift Fair this past weekend, I ran into a woman who said she worked with a Realtor who had Daniel Dae Kim as a client. She said he was selling his house... but that it could mean anything, more than likely downsizing or upgrading rather than leaving. Still, interesting timing!
            Yes he is selling his house:

http://www.honolulupulse.com/movies-...ng-kahala-home

As for the Counter burgers, they are good, but really expensive. I was in Salt Lake City recently and saw they were opening a franchise there. I did not know it was a chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Yes he is selling his house:

http://www.honolulupulse.com/movies-...ng-kahala-home

As for the Counter burgers, they are good, but really expensive. I was in Salt Lake City recently and saw they were opening a franchise there. I did not know it was a chain.
              Very cute house...nothing ostentatious like so many of the stucco palaces in Kahala.

I'm one of those who loves The Counter, esp. the skirt steak burger and Japanese burger (ahi) when available. And, those sweet potato fries are to die for! My 2 guys who visit each year always put The Counter and Ka 'Ikena at the top of their "must do" list. Here's a list of locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Thanks for posting that link.
                Confirms to me that O'Loughlin, however talented an actor he may be, has been miscast for the role of Steve McGarrett. I don't care what the reason is. McGarrett killing anyone in cold-blood, execution style, is a "Jump The Shark" moment that the show would never recover from.

All this "intrigue" is not doing the show any favors. Even under the best of circumstances, Hawaii Five-0's ratings aren't so great that a season 2 renewal is a slam dunk. Reports about the 2 main stars being unhappy on a show that is already on the bubble might just be the thing that prompts the network bosses to pull the plug.
                I'm not sure how you got from " please let him kill someone or do something naughty,' he says." to mean "killing someone in cold blood".

but on that note, a good moral dilemma would have been for McGarrett to actually choose between killing Hesse (at the end of the fight) or taking him in...that would have been good character development.

I think a 2nd season is almost guaranteed, but I do agree with you that there is a a lot of rumbling about uhappiness with the busy scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by teeth63a View Post
                  I'm not sure how you got from " please let him kill someone or do something naughty,' he says." to mean "killing someone in cold blood".
                  It's fairly obvious to me, even if it's not to you. Letting McGarrett "kill someone or do something naughty" is refering to an act that his character is prohibited, by law, from doing. McGarrett shooting and killing "the bad guys" in order to protect innocent people and/or to defend himself is okay. But once a criminal is contained and surrenders himself, McGarrett can't kill the villain at that point. Doing so would be acting as judge, jury, and executioner,.... and it would destroy any perception that McGarrett is a man of law and order.

but on that note, a good moral dilemma would have been for McGarrett to actually choose between killing Hesse (at the end of the fight) or taking him in...that would have been good character development..
                  There would have been no choice in that "moral dilemma." If Victor Hesse resists or presented any kind of a danger to others, then McGarrett killing the guy would be justifiable. There's nothing "naughty" or illegal about that. But if Hesse is still alive when he gives up, then McGarrett needs to arrest the man and bring him in. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It doesn't matter about Hesse killing his father,.... McGarrett can't take the law into his own hands. Once he does, then this so-called new Hawaii Five-0 goes from being a J.J. Abrams-esque reimagining of the original show into some twisted, demented bizarro world.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

It's fairly obvious to me, even if it's not to you. Letting McGarrett "kill someone or do something naughty" is refering to an act that his character is prohibited, by law, from doing. McGarrett shooting and killing "the bad guys" in order to protect innocent people and/or to defend himself is okay. But once a criminal is contained and surrenders himself, McGarrett can't kill the villain at that point. Doing so would be acting as judge, jury, and executioner,.... and it would destroy any perception that McGarrett is a man of law and order.

There would have been no choice in that "moral dilemma." If Victor Hesse resists or presented any kind of a danger to others, then McGarrett killing the guy would be justifiable. There's nothing "naughty" or illegal about that. But if Hesse is still alive when he gives up, then McGarrett needs to arrest the man and bring him in. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It doesn't matter about Hesse killing his father,.... McGarrett can't take the law into his own hands. Once he does, then this so-called new Hawaii Five-0 goes from being a J.J. Abrams-esque reimagining of the original show into some twisted, demented bizarro world.
                    Perhaps we're not watching the same episode.

McG and Danno got into a huge debate about how McG "isn't a police officer" ,but a Navy SEAL. it was McG's idea to steal the money as well. He'll do the most expeditious thing to get the job done, which is definitely not the police way. He's hung a suspect off the side of a building, he broke into the chop shop that was running guns, he gets impatient when Danno tries to negotiate with a criminal... Danno is always reminding McG about the police way. That's what makes their partnership interesting-Danno reigning in McG's tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. So he's taken the law into his hands many times.

Would it be really out of the realm of reason for McGarrett to show *some* human emotion and be tempted to kill the man who killed his father...especially in the heat of hand to hand combat? Hesse could have goaded him on about killing McG's father, in which McG would react with rage. We all know that because he's a good guy, he'll bring in the bad guy to be booked-but to show that glimmer of base human emotion (revenge) would have made for much better TV. This is my interpretation of what Alex may have meant in "being naughty" - ie losing self control, *not* killing defenseless suspects in cold blood.

Case in point...Jin and Sun's death scene in the submarine in Lost (though emotionally opposite). Sun tells him to leave. He doesn't just rush up to her and say, "No I'll stay with you." Instead, he looks to the exit for a long second, and in that action you understand the series of thoughts going through his mind...if he leaves, he has a chance to see his daughter for the first time. In the end, he does the right thing and stays with Sun. *That* kind of writing/acting showing emotional glimmer, makes a good scene a stellar scene.

McG beats up the bad guy and watches the money burn. Big deal. Apparently we'll just have to agree to disagree in our interpretation of Alex wanting to "kill someone" and "be naughty".
                    Last edited by teeth63a; December 24, 2010, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Perhaps we're not watching the same episode.
                      Episode? Well, maybe that's why I see things vastly different from you. While you are focused on an episode, I'm looking at Steve McGarrett, the character, from the entirety of the original series and what has been shown from the currest series thus far.

McG and Danno got into a huge debate about how McG "isn't a police officer" ,but a Navy SEAL. it was McG's idea to steal the money as well. He'll do the most expeditious thing to get the job done, which is definitely not the police way. He's hung a suspect off the side of a building, he broke into the chop shop that was running guns, he gets impatient when Danno tries to negotiate with a criminal... Danno is always reminding McG about the police way. That's what makes their partnership interesting-Danno reigning in McG's tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. So he's taken the law into his hands many times.
                      That's true. In this new world of 5-0, McGarrett 2.0 has broken the law many times in the course of doing his work. But before you conflate any of the above examples with killing a criminal who surrenders himself, stop and think for a moment. As illegal as all of the above activities were, the audience watching this show could reason that an illegal search was "okay," if it meant leading to the rescue of hostage being hidden somewhere with a time element involved. And while stealing money from the HPD evidence room is *really* pushing it, once again, the audience will tolerate McGarrett doing that because it provided the only real hope of saving Chin Ho's life.

But to go beyond that and to kill a criminal, any criminal, once that person has surrendered..., different story. Once that happens, the audience will never look at Steve McGarrett the same way again.

Would it be really out of the realm of reason for McGarrett to show *some* human emotion and be tempted to kill the man who killed his father...especially in the heat of hand to hand combat? Hesse could have goaded him on about killing McG's father, in which McG would react with rage. We all know that because he's a good guy, he'll bring in the bad guy to be booked-but to show that glimmer of base human emotion (revenge) would have made for much better TV. This is my interpretation of what Alex may have meant in "being naughty" - ie losing self control, *not* killing defenseless suspects in cold blood.
                      Fine, that's your interpretation of what Alex O'Loughlin was thinking about. Personally, I find it to be more than a stretch, since a mere temptation to kill someone is not illegal. This ain't the Minority Report, where someone can be arrested simply because they are thinking about committing a crime.

'I'm the first one to say please let him kill someone or do something naughty,' he says.
                      OTOH, my interpretation of O'Loughlin's words are based on what he actually said, not on what I wished he said. He doesn't say "Please let him (McGarrett) be tempted to kill someone."

Comment

[...]I'm looking at Steve McGarrett, the character, from the entirety of the original series and what has been shown from the currest series thus far.
                        Again, comparing to the original series. It's not the original series, isn't meant to be and never will be.
                        [...]Fine, that's your interpretation of what Alex O'Loughlin was thinking about.[...]
                        Bingo! Ask 10 people and they'll have 10 different interpretations. That's what makes horse races! And, cop shows!

Dang, FM...are you and LikaNui twins from different parents?! Your writing styles can be so similar it's almost eerie! I'm not basing that observation on just your post above. It's just that...an observation over time!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Dang, FM...are you and LikaNui twins from different parents?! Your writing styles can be so similar it's almost eerie! I'm not basing that observation on just your post above. It's just that...an observation over time!
                          I'm shocked! I've never paid attention to the writing styles of other HT'ers, with the exception of Sansei, of course. Now, thanks to you Tutu, I'm going to have to go over some of FM's old posts and see.
                          If he does indeed write like me... I'll take that as a compliment.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Again, comparing to the original series. It's not the original series, isn't meant to be and never will be.
                            She pinned the nail on the donkey with that statement. This version of 5-0 is vastly different than the original series. It should be, the show is written, produced and acted with an entire new generation. They have the "Hollywood" artistic license to do what they want with the show.

Being filmed in Hawaii and having the same characters names is about the only thing that you can compare both series.

Comment

Finally - someone who actually gets it! and TS - you're right, it NOT the original series. I'm just so tired of those like FM who keep nit picking the series to death. I think they should just shut the f*** up!
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                                Finally - someone who actually gets it! and TS - you're right, it NOT the original series. I'm just so tired of those like FM who keep nit picking the series to death. I think they should just shut the f*** up!
                                Agree 1000%. We already know that FM doesn't like the new Five-O. Stop raining on the parade of others who do like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X