Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Left v. Right on HT

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    If he's unable to pay his electricity bill then the electricity is cut off. So much for food safety. Ditto for his phone and internet which could be so necessary to help him find a job. If he misses enough car payments his car is repossessed making job hunting and trips to the doctor for his children that much more difficult. Miss enough mortgage payments and...foreclosure. Miss enough rent payments and...eviction.
    Don't know about every location but California has a "safety net" to prevent the above from happening to the truly indigent. So no, that doesn't happen to the indigent. The program is funded by general tax revenue and the Baggers in California want to eliminate that.............unless they are the one who is indigent!

Do you know if the privately contracted fire dept. stood by to assist those homeowners in case the fire spread?
    Don't know, it wasn't reported. As I recall this incident occured in Kentucky, Bagger Central. But yes, the irresponsible actions of the private fire contractor put the whole neighborhood in danger.

Care to share your "mutually agreeable solution"?!
    I was in City government in California. By law the primary charge of City governement is "to protect the public health, safety, and welfare." Those words are etched indelibly in my mind. Now you can protect the public safety with either a public or private fire company. The city in question didn't by executing a flawed contract.

Our solution:

1. The private fire contractor should be contracted to respond to all fires, whether the account is up to date or not.
    2. The fire contractor should take whatever means is legally available to them to collect accounts receivable (e.g. small claims court)
    3. The city should pay for the cost of the response provided by the contractor to that specific fire if the account is in arrears. The city can then lien the property for the cost of that service just like they do for property tax due.
    4. When and if the account is made current plus penalties, the private contractor reimburses the city for the cost of that response and the city removes the lien.
    5. The home owner will be resposnsible for any past due accounts and liens (plus interest and penalties) at the time he sells his property.

There - nobody's happy! I don't know if that is a Left or Right solution! to get us back on topic.
    Last edited by matapule; November 7, 2010, 01:26 PM.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      [...]The city in question didn't by executing a flawed contract....
      This was going to be my next question...What did the contract state?!
      There - nobody's happy!
      Your solution makes total sense to me!
      I don't know if that is a Left or Right solution! to get us back on topic.
      I guess we'll find out when we see who disagrees!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Just as the more left-leaning posters run the gamut from strongly liberal/progressive to just slightly left-of-center, there are many HT’ers who tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another. Amongst the ones who come to mind right away (and I know I am missing several others) are Mel, TimKona, Bobinator, Nobunaga, Walkoff Balk, Konaguy, Scrivener, CraigWatanabe, Sansei, NachoDaddy, Escondido100 and BJD392. There’s no dearth of conservative opinion expressed here.
        I think its a bit unfair to characterize myself strictly a right leaning individual. Yes I do have some right leaning views, but I also have views that could be characterized as moderate.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          I think its a bit unfair to characterize myself strictly a right leaning individual. Yes I do have some right leaning views, but I also have views that could be characterized as moderate.
          Here is the problem with what you say. The moderate or centrist view as been moved way to the right of center with the Presidency of Reagan and continuing since. Your "moderate" views of today would have been far to the right of Goldwater at that time. You may characterize your views as "moderate" but that may not be how others perceive them.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Here is the problem with what you say. The moderate or centrist view as been moved way to the right of center with the Presidency of Reagan and continuing since. Your "moderate" views of today would have been far to the right of Goldwater at that time. You may characterize your views as "moderate" but that may not be how others perceive them.

For starters, you don't have a clue who I am and what I stand for. So, it is unfair to pigeonhole my opinions as right-wing. The most important thing to me is trying to make Hawaii a better place. I spend hours and end researching/on the phone getting project updates for my blog.

I wish people would stop pigeonholing people here. Maybe this is why I've pretty much stopped participating in the discussion.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I did say: ...tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another.

Going back over your posts (as well as your blog), I stand by my assessment as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                I did say: ...tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another.

Going back over your posts (as well as your blog), I stand by my assessment as stated.
                Who made you the judge/jury and executioner to make a blanket opinion about me in that way? You can't solely conjure up an opinion just by looking at a cover of a book. The same goes for people. You don't know who I am or what I stand for aside from what I've written.

You have no clue about how passionate I am about the future of Hawaii, nor how many hours I spend working on my blog making sure its updated, along with holding government accountable.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

if you didn't want to be confronted about your views (and I'm not saying anything about them), then maybe you should have stayed out of a political discussion? Just saying...............
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

how many hours I spend working on my blog making sure its updated, along with holding government accountable.
                    Who made you the judge/jury and executioner of holding government accountable? Aaron, relax, it works both ways. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass hale.

You don't know who I am or what I stand for aside from what I've written.
                    How else are we to know you? You don't know me other than what I have written and you have judged me thusly. No one on HT has ever met me personally. I am only known by what I have written.

In my opinion, you are a valued member of the HT ohana. Everyone has an opinion here on just about every subject. Your blog is your opinion. My posts are my opinion. My opinions change from time to time based on what people post on this forum. Diversity of thought and experence is good! I like to have my opinions challenged with reasoned thought. If you are a "moderate" or "conservative" or "liberal" on whatever issue, be proud of what you think. Enjoy the scrutiny here on HT. It will either make you a stronger believer in what you think or perhaps, just perhaps, you might give your opinions a second thought. Don't be petulant because someone may not agree with you. If you post it, be prepared to justify it.

Blessed Be.
                    Last edited by matapule; November 8, 2010, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Who made you the judge/jury and executioner to make a blanket opinion about me in that way? You can't solely conjure up an opinion just by looking at a cover of a book. The same goes for people. You don't know who I am or what I stand for aside from what I've written.

You have no clue about how passionate I am about the future of Hawaii, nor how many hours I spend working on my blog making sure its updated, along with holding government accountable.
                      This is just so funny. Nonsensical, and funny. Keep up the 'good works'.

We are each our own judge/jury and executioner of our own opinions - if you don't agree with that, I feel very sorry for you.

Passion is no measure of effectiveness, you just may be passionately wrong-minded (looking one way, but proceeding in the opposite direction).
                      Last edited by salmoned; November 8, 2010, 08:13 AM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

You don't know who I am or what I stand for aside from what I've written.
                        Aaron, read again what I said in the first post. I made my assessment on what posters have written. If you assume I am making judgment on anything beyond that, you are incorrect.

Comment

Leo, I hope your opinion is also formed based on what hasn't been written as well, often it's the unwritten stuff that prevails, eh?
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                            Leo, I hope your opinion is also formed based on what hasn't been written as well, often it's the unwritten stuff that prevails, eh?
                            In this particular thread, though, I'm hewing closely to what's been publicly written and posted, since my original point was addressing those who complained that there was a dearth of postings from a more conservative p.o.v. Based solely on Aaron/Konaguy's HT postings, as well as his blog (which I included in my assessment, as he often steers us there for further writings on his views), I say he falls more often to the right of center. He doesn't have to be far right to be on my initial list, simply more to the conservative than the liberal direction. He even admits to "right leaning views," so I'm not sure what the problem is - he puts himself on that list I made.

Comment

Whatever. I don't need this public criticism of my opinions at this point. My life is already stressful enough. So, I'm going to ask that my account here be terminated.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron - lighten up! someone disagrees with you. Its not the end of the world. Its what this thread is about - where on the political spectrum do you see yourself? is the question. You're a right - many on here are lefties, including me. But, you still have a right to express your opinion. as does everyone else.

Defend your position (like a debate?) instead of running away and admitting defeat in the argument. I for one, hope you will stay!
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X