• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems shopping at Safeway

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews

Don't put dirty meat in your mouth!

Re: Safeway recalling ground beef

"The recall affects ground beef products sold between June 6 and July 14..."

Sheesh. I know I bought some ground beef... already cooked and eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
      "The recall affects ground beef products sold between June 6 and July 14..."

Sheesh. I know I bought some ground beef... already cooked and eaten.

You will be OK. They always err on the safe side. A Tip is to by some quorn (meat substitute) You will not tell the difference between that and ground beef. Quorn last for months in the freezer and is good for spaghetti, burgers etc.

Comment

Is it Safeway's policy for the cashiers to ask every customer for a donation to a charity? They seem to be the only grocery chain to do that.

Comment

Obviously you haven't been to Foodland lately! They are now helping raise funds for HHSSA. Of course, it's for a very good cause & I've already donated but still................
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Safeway's debit/credit machines are set up to ask for the donation AND the cashier also asks. An overkill, imo. The cashier should only ask if someone pays cash. I don't mind the charitable support but I do mind being asked twice. The last time I was at Whole Foods I brought my own bags. The cashier asked if I wanted to donate my bag credit to <forget which charity they were supporting>. I thought this was a great use of that credit and mentioned that to the cashier. It certainly will encourage me to remember to bring my own bags in the future.

As for the recalled ground beef. About a week prior to the recall I defrosted a package of Safeway GB, baked a casserole using it then froze the casserole in individual servings. Naturally, the GB package ended up in the trash chute and I didn't recall the date on the package. I trashed the casserole deciding it was better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

We stop going to Safeway after my mother-in-law had problems trying to pay with a check that was written for over $300. The check bounced. She told the cashier she had plenty of money in her account. But no go. So my mother-in-law wrote out another check from another checking account and guess what it also bounced. She and I was getting furious as he had people waiting behind us. She then wrote another check from a third checking account and it also bounced. She ended up having to use her credit card. She has had this problem before at Safeway. So we went to talk to the manager and he was of no help. All he could say was file a complaint with the main office. We told him that was the last time we were going be embarased at Safeway and shop there ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Is it Safeway's policy for the cashiers to ask every customer for a donation to a charity? They seem to be the only grocery chain to do that.
                Yes, it's part of our shopper program to ask every customer for a donation. If they don't, they run the risk of getting written up for not following policy. Most, if not all the cashiers don't like asking customers for donations (especially for the frequent customers).
                Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Re: Problems shopping at Safeway

Maybe Safeway should "re-think" their policy? I also don't like having the cashier yell out my name when saying thank you. I don't need everyone in the front of the store to know I've just spent way too much $$$ to shop there. I like to shop in a more discrete & incognito sort of way. I understand the psychology behind it, but c'mon here - I'm buying groceries, not asking you for a date

and PS: I didn't buy any ground beef so I didn't have to throw anything away. Sorry TS that you did all that cooking for naught.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    I also don't like having the cashier yell out my name when saying thank you.
                    My brother's name gets the thank-you by the cashier when reading the name on the sales slip. There must have been a mix up when they inputed the card number into their data.

Comment

Maybe Safeway should "re-think" their policy? I also don't like having the cashier yell out my name when saying thank you. I don't need everyone in the front of the store to know I've just spent way too much $$$ to shop there. I like to shop in a more discrete & incognito sort of way. I understand the psychology behind it, but c'mon here - I'm buying groceries, not asking you for a date
                      Ditto. I hate it when they say, "Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. ---". I don't need everyone behind me to know my name. And they always ask if I want help out. Sometimes I'm asked three or four times, by both the cashier and the bagger. Once in awhile, they comment on my purchase, "Oh, this is really good steamed with ginger and black beans." I just want to make my purchase and get out, especially when there's a long line. I realize it's not the fault of the workers... they are just doing what they are told.

Comment

Baggers? Cashiers? What a concept! Here if there is a bagger it's a miracle,
                        the poor one or two cashiers that are on line are swamped doing both jobs.
                        The idiots that collect the carts think they're King Kong and shove them
                        together with such force that you can't even pull them apart.

The donation thing gets irritating when as soon as you walk in there is a table set up with someone who asks about whatever it's for then when you are leaving the same person asks again. During the holidays tables are set up outside with organizations selling things/soliciting then you get inside
                        and there they are along with the bell ringer. One cashier told me they have contests to see who gets the most donations wins a prize.

The remodel has left the produce aisles so small and narrow it's difficult to
                        get produce while your cart is in the aisle as it always blocks traffic flow.

Ads? Why bother? Yogurt? A foreign commodity. Managers? they do what?
                        I've seen the manager walk by LINES of people and just go into their office
                        without offering help or calling for more check out people. I feel sorry for
                        the cashiers who are always quite pleasant and friendly despite the lack of
                        support from management and lack of baggers. Somehow I think Safeway is lucky to have such nice cashiers you'd think they'd flee in disgust/frustration.

Comment

Well, I do appreciate very much being asked if I need help out because I usually do. By the time I've finished walking the aisles finding what I need & then standing in long lines - my knee is just about ready to give out. Ask me as many times as you like, just help me get my cart out of the store.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Well, I do appreciate very much being asked if I need help out because I usually do. By the time I've finished walking the aisles finding what I need & then standing in long lines - my knee is just about ready to give out. Ask me as many times as you like, just help me get my cart out of the store.
                            I guess if I need help, I'll ask for it. Maybe they should put something in their computer -- this customer does not want her name mentioned, nor does she want help out!

I agree with Leashlaws, the cashiers are great, especially considering their lousy management and having to deal with long lines of customers. And I've seen some pretty weird customers.

Comment

No offense meant to anyone, please, but just an observation: We must be a very spoiled society when we actually get peeved about things like someone saying our name aloud and being asked if we need help to the car at a market. Matter of fact, I'll bet there are hundreds of hungry people in Hawaii who'd love to have the money to go into a store and buy a basket of food ..... and wouldn't mind at all if someone was pleasant to them in the process.

Happy Thursday everyone. I'm taking my ten bucks and going shopping.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X