The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Honolulu Star Advertiser

Here's a funny one, sometimes on sunny/dry days my paper is bagged up to protect it from..dunno the heat or it landing on the pavement? But when it is raining it is not bagged and usually soaked so bad that I cannot read the thing at all. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
      I hope they learn from history and decide to keep Prince Valiant!

Last time the Advertiser canceled it the outcry was great, and they wisely continued it rather than lose subscription money.
      They decided to keep it, and to keep several other features that had been dropped since the change.

I like the layout, I like the responsiveness to customer desires. I LIKE this newspaper!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

hi,i just viewed the staradvertiser and i learned their is a new tv guide and it's not the metromix one with the local channel's,it's like how it was in the former honolulu advertiser and if you have adobe,it work's and you'd be able to view of what you need to find in good programming.i hope this may help with the reader's of the staradvertiser?

Comment

Yes, "Prince Valiant" is returning. Sunday Comics sections are done several weeks in advance though.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Here's a funny one, sometimes on sunny/dry days my paper is bagged up to protect it from..dunno the heat or it landing on the pavement? But when it is raining it is not bagged and usually soaked so bad that I cannot read the thing at all. Go figure.
            cALL Customer Service and tell them. It's the carrier who is dropping the ball - or the paper - in this instance. They don't need people with degrees in rocket science....

I had a similar problem. I have a newspaper tube, but they wouldn't use it. They wrapped the paper, but the plastic tore through when it hit the driveway, so I always had a wet paper.

After about 5 complaint calls, they finally got the message.
            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              Yes, "Prince Valiant" is returning. Sunday Comics sections are done several weeks in advance though.
              Fortunately, for this PV addict, the strip is available online - delayed by about 4 weeks.
              ~ ~

Comment

the Honolulu Star Advertiser is available on newsstands on the Big Island.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm disappointed that I can't access the old Advertiser story archives. I was looking for a link that showed up in several Google searches, for a June 6 story - nothing but 404s.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    I'm disappointed that I can't access the old Advertiser story archives. I was looking for a link that showed up in several Google searches, for a June 6 story - nothing but 404s.
                    Did Google happen to have a cache copy? At least that'd get you the text...
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I had the same problem searching for an article that appeared in the June 6th Sunday Advertiser, the last issue of the Advertiser. I got a 404 message. I wonder what they'll do with the digital archives of both the Advertiser and the Star-Bulletin.

Comment

Update.

I just Googled that same article and I was able to access it. It might have been that the links were lost because they took down the old Advertiser and Star-Bulletin sites at about the same time.

Comment

Yep - the link works today. Wonder if the content was being "shifted" over the weekend?

Comment

Google pointed me to an article in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin for May 12. I go there and got Star Advertiser Error 404.

I go to the Archives page in Star Advertiser and they have an index for years pertaining to the Honolulu Star Bulletin and Honolulu Advertiser. I think fine.

I go to Honolulu Star Bulletin link and the entire month of May 2010 is missing... umm... what happened to the news archive for that month?

http://archives.starbulletin.com/con...ive/month/2010
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

They need a little help in the headline writing department.
                              This morning I'm sitting with my coffee and start reading the paper. Right there on the very front page is a teaser for the Sports section:

WAC FILES SUIT
                              The Mountain West Conference and recent breakaway members Fresno State and Nevada are plaintiffs. See page C-3.

Uh, yeah, I was barely awake, but the mistake jumped right out. See it yet?
                              The WAC filed the lawsuit, not the MWC/Fresno/Nevada.
                              That makes WAC the plaintiffs, and MWC/Fresno/Nevada are the defendants.

Maybe they'll note that in their Corrections section tomorrow.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Maybe they'll note that in their Corrections section tomorrow.
                                They did just that.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X