Thinking about moving ohana to big island from WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about moving ohana to big island from WI

Looking particularly for info on good/bad neighborhoods, schools, rental properties we should stay away from. We wont have the time or resources to take a trip there and do hands on research before we move so we're trying to do what we can online and hope to get as best informed as we can before making the move so any advice/opinions/knowledge you can share would be greatly appriciated, mahalo nui loa in advance
    Live Aloha

Re: Thinking about moving ohana to big island from WI

Since you asked, my recommendation would be to somehow find the resources and the time needed to make a quick trip before you move to the Big Island, and on that trip to meet up with a knowledgeable realtor. Like most places, there are both good and bad areas on the Big Island. If you have children, you owe it to them to not make a mistake when looking for a "family friendly" location, especially when dealing with schools and that daily environment that will be part of their lives.

Sell the second car, or the fancy camera, or big TV. Whatever it takes to raise the money to take a well organized "business" trip here first.

If you do your homework first, you will probably end up in a lovely place to live happily with your family.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I totally agree with Amati - make the effort to take an orientation trip before moving your family. Moving without being familiar with the place you are moving to is just (sorry) stupid. and especially moving to Big Island which is mostly rural. If you were moving to Honolulu that might be a different story but would still STRONGLY recommend a trip to learn about the area. It is VERY different here.

If you can't afford to take a trip here first to explore, you may want to rethink things. It's VERY expensive here, and especially on the neighbor islands. This is not the paradise you may think and a good dose of reality could help your decision making.
      Last edited by anapuni808; November 10, 2010, 09:02 PM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The Big Island is named appropriately! Do you know where you'll be working because that will dictate where you live? Have you ever been to Hawaii, in general, or the BI, in particular?

Regardless, I whole-heartedly agree with the advice you've received so far esp. since you have children. After 32 years+, I still think Hawaii is paradise. But paradise comes at a cost. And with the high cost comes much sacrifice, compromise and adaptation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Thankyou all for you input thus far. I do agree that a trip prior to moving would be a wise choice but may or may not be possible, although we are going to try that first. We are aware how expensive its going to be to live there, we've been researching that part of it for a couple years now. The rural part won't be a prob since we both aren't big city people anyway, otherwise we'd be moving back to O'ahu where I was born. With that being said, to answer the question about when the question about being to HI I haven't been back in 38 yrs, we moved 2 years after I was born. We both work for Walmart so are looking to transfer to either of the stores there on BI, plus I'm a CNA so would also be looking for work in that field if possible. Regardless of whether we make the trip first or move "blind" where would be areas that we should consider. I don't mind driving 30 - 60 min to get to work so the more "rural" areas aren't out of the question. Thanks again for everyones help.
          Live Aloha

Comment

Working...
          X