Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
That Popeye's still has a drive-through. I really like the chicken there, but I really dislike the service. And I hate to say this, but I dislike most of the clientele, too. I think it says unpleasant things about me to admit this.
Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
Scriv does have a point there...

I only ate at the Popeyes there once on dillingham....

As I was leaving... "Brah... you get a piece of chicken you can spare..." from someone out by my car!

Never went back!
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:51 AM
Ali`i

Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
Can someone tell me what you guys are talking about?
um...read the post from the beginning!
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
um...read the post from the beginning!
I did. But it doesn't say much, about the clientel, at Popeye's. What's wid dis?
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Ali`i

I suspect that maybe it's your settings that control the thread age cut off. Go into User CP, then select Edit Options and look for a setting for titled Default Thread Age Cut Off. You can change it to Show all threads or some other value that you feel comfortable.
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:14 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
Yeah, what a little snot to not want to hang around people who don't practice safe hygeine! (I think this says unpleasant things about me, too, but you can bet I bathe daily and brush my teeth even more!)
It's not just that, but people there tend to be very noisy, messy, and rude. I also hate the way employees, during their time off, hang out in the dining area, joking loudly with their coworkers behind the counter. There's just a general lack of consideration for the customers there, and the customers act as if they aren't entitled to it.
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Kumu

Weird.

I go there every so often when I'm in the area and have yet to experience such a distasteful crowd... spilling our red beans and rice on you...

Maybe it would be best to stay away if it's so offensive?
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Ali`i

It's a kind of localness about a place that can make it either cozy or uncomfortable.

As for a commercial establishment, employees do need to conduct themselves in a professional manner and that includes when they are in their uniforms and on the clock. Their mannerisms reflect the establishment and the company for which a reputation is built upon. Unprofessional mannerisms don't fare well with any business.

But as Dick did mention that if it is unbecoming to you then you should and will find another business to patronize. Unfortunately for the business, it's their loss not the customer's.

That's why there are codes of conduct rules that all customer service employees typically follow. Failure to comply usually means reprimand or termination depending on the severity of the violation.

Normally you won't see employees eating in the same area as the customers (unprofessional at the least) and chit chat is kept to a minimum. These are standard protocals found in most employee handbooks when dealing with the public.

Some places choose not to follow these guidelines and they probably have lower employee/manager retension rates than others that do.

Zippy's is always a cheerful place to visit (albeit the one on Kilauea avenue in Kaimuki can be a challenge at times) and they do seem to pick some very nice peope to work with. But as Scrivener did also mention, some areas can be a challenge for a corporate image to be placed into especially when there are cultural differences such as how people eat and where. In some cultures it's rude not to eat amongst your guests.

But that's what "clientele" is about. Everyplace has a different definition of what being polite and professional is meant to be. Unfortunately to some another's interpretation can be offensive to others.

Srcrivener, I believe is trying to be politically correct instead of referring to the locale of where that Popeye's is located directly and the kind of regulars that patronize that establishment. If you look around that area you'll know what I mean. The people you see there are of a different social style than his and to him it can be offensive or intimidating.

When you hear someone saying stuff like, "Yeah da fucka wen dis me wen I wen slap his head so I wen punch his bitch ladat, hoa dat bitch was feelin it all day". Yeah that's really what all customers really want to hear from the food handlers that just served or cooked their "eat-in" meal. Doesn't digest very well either. But to some it's normal conversation. To others...well...kinda nasty.
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:53 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham

Hawaii has changed alot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Fascinating. I've definitely noticed a distinct and different "clientele" at Popeye's Chicken, but wouldn't call it distasteful. I figured any discomfort I felt was mostly my problem (I certainly don't blend in, in my downtown aloha attire!), and since they did serve me chicken (mmm!) and let me eat it, I obviously worried more about it than they did.

So the people there are comfortable with each other. And know each other. The place has a feel of being its own community, or a hub of one. I'm just not part of it.

Such a casual attitude about loitering or language or whatever is probably not good "customer service" by the usual textbooks, but it certainly doesn't seem to hurt business any. As I often also notice a lot of military and other groups (now I'm being PC) there, I can only assume that to many, the "clientele" and energy of the place is even a comfort to some, a place to seek out that's not like Zippy's or other local or Mainland restaurants.

I've taken my wife and kids there as a treat several times. Apart from a sporadic nearby "F-bomb" (that I notice more than the kids do), we've had no complaints. Besides, rude people and bad language can be just as prevalent at other eateries, despite the supposedly different "clientele."

If you don't like it, don't go. Lobby Popeye's corporate to put a restaurant in Pearl City or Waikele. More chicken for me in town!
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ali`i

Try go to the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've had some pretty RUDE experiences there on MANY occasions.

Just this past weekend, I stood in line with just a single bag of Hot Dog Buns. THAT'S IT. All the lines were packed. When I stood in line, the guy in front who had a FULL CART of groceries looked back at me then turned away and didn't even bother to offer to let me in front of him.

How many times I've let people in front of me who had single items. I guess Karma doesn't always work when you're dealing with jerks. ZERO Aloha spirit.

Old June 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
Try go to the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've had some pretty RUDE experiences there on MANY occasions. Just this past weekend, I stood in line with just a single bag of Hot Dog Buns. THAT'S IT. All the lines were packed.
I feel your pain. Been there, done that. But thankfully, I heard that Costco is finally going to do something they've needed to do for a long time -- install an Express Lane.
The sign will read:
100 items or less.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
Hawaii has changed alot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.
Yeah, and I ran into one guy from France recently and he was a total jerk. So France has changed a lot, I see. So has EVERYBODY there. Wow.

Generalizations are silly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Try go to the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've had some pretty RUDE experiences there on MANY occasions.

Just this past weekend, I stood in line with just a single bag of Hot Dog Buns. THAT'S IT. All the lines were packed. When I stood in line, the guy in front who had a FULL CART of groceries looked back at me then turned away and didn't even bother to offer to let me in front of him.

How many times I've let people in front of me who had single items. I guess Karma doesn't always work when you're dealing with jerks. ZERO Aloha spirit.

Costco doesn't care about single item purchases. They want you to buy more because that is their $$$. They don't make money on people who buy one item unless it is a $2000 TV! I have grumbled many times and got that answer. Sometimes you might get lucky if the customer service line is empty and they send you there.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtek
Costco doesn't care about single item purchases. They want you to buy more because that is their $$$. They don't make money on people who buy one item unless it is a $2000 TV! I have grumbled many times and got that answer. Sometimes you might get lucky if the customer service line is empty and they send you there.
I don't think the guy standing in line in front of me worked for Costco.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
[...]When you hear someone saying stuff like, "Yeah da fucka wen dis me wen I wen slap his head so I wen punch his bitch ladat, hoa dat bitch was feelin it all day". Yeah that's really what all customers really want to hear from the food handlers that just served or cooked their "eat-in" meal. Doesn't digest very well either. But to some it's normal conversation. To others...well...kinda nasty.
While in line at Long's Waianae yesterday I overheard a conversation by the family in front of me eerily similar to your example, Craig. The profanity coming out of the wife's mouth was atrocious. The husband didn't say a word. It made me extremely uncomfortable, mainly because their child was present. The child mentioned to her grandma how her parents always fight...and added, "There they go again.". I finally got out of line, in favor of another check-out stand.
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
[...]How many times I've let people in front of me who had single items. I guess Karma doesn't always work when you're dealing with jerks. ZERO Aloha spirit.[...]
Ah, but Karma can be repaying your Costco good deeds in other areas of your life. It's not always tit for tat...so to speak...no pun intended...well, you get the drift!
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

It's been years for me since I have been to that Popeye's Chicken on Dillingham.

That and Wendys need a location in either downtown or close to Ala Maona.
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Ali`i

My wife works as a HeadStart manager in Papaiko here on the Big Island and boy she hears stuff that'll curl her hair from them little tykes to the teachers and I mean pre-schoolers.

Stuff like, "I goin kill you fukka afta I cut your throat bitch" Imagine some 4-year old telling that to his teacher after being reprimanded for hitting another kid.

But to the parents of that child, that's they way they threaten the kid after beating them up if they disobey them.

But back at Popeye's on Dillingham (thank you administrator for making a new thread on this one)...my former business partner used to run that particular Popeye's (Lad Panis). He's from Waipahu. He used to hire a lot of immigrants because they could appreciate the kind of hard work it takes to be in the back frying chicken. Maybe that's why there were a lot of cultural differences that may seem intimidating to others.

One day he asked me if I wanted to try doing chicken after I told him I wouldn't work for any fast food restaurant. After an hour hovering over that vat of hot oil, getting my fingers burned from dipping the chicken inside I had a greater respect for the cooks in the back.

Lad taught me how to properly lay down the chicken in the fryer so you push the wave of hot oil away from you instead of splashing the oil onto your fingers. But as Lad said, "It ain't chicken without the skin", how true.

As for Costco and line protocal, if a person doesn't want to let you in first it's their perogative. But really to expect them to do so and then don't is a bit arrogant on the part of the single item holder for assuming that. Kinda like saying, "how rude of you not to hold the door open for me so I can pass by inconveniencing you and everyone else".

Yes he was rude in not letting you ahead, but it was also a bit arrogant for you to expect it. Moot point in my book, you both got what you deserved. He goes to Hell for being rude, and well you were arrogant.
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
Yes he was rude in not letting you ahead, but it was also a bit arrogant for you to expect it. Moot point in my book, you both got what you deserved. He goes to Hell for being rude, and well you were arrogant.
Thanks Craig. Now I'm arrogant.

O.K. So that means whenever you want to get in a lane of traffic, if someone doesn't let you in even though there's room for it, that means they have the right because it's their lane, and you're being arrogant for expecting to be let in?

All I was getting at was COMMON COURTESY. What's arrogant about that?

I don't EXPECT people to have Aloha Spirit, but it certainly is disappointing when it's not around.
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Ali`i

Hey we are all arrogant at times but to expect something from somebody when they don't have to can be arrogant. In your case yeah maybe he didn't exercise common courtesy however it's also courteous not to expect either.

I don't think the comparison to letting someone in a lane of traffic is a fair one either. If there's room and he's signalling at least he's asking for permission to merge in.

While you were standing in line did you ask him if you could cut in front of him (and basically that's what you would have done) or did you just do the mind meld thing and expect him to read your thoughts?

And what of your facial expressions? Was it one of "jeez I gotta stand behind this bugga until he buys all his stuff". A facial expression with a thought like that could make you appear to look inconvenienced and you will get a likewise look back.

Once at Longs Drugs I let this elderly lady move ahead of me while she had only a small basket of goods to buy. There was nobody behind her so I figured no big deal right? Well right afer her purchase another person came up with just a bottle of soda so I figured whatever and let that guy in. He never said thanks or anything but just plopped his money on the counter, picked up his change and left without saying a word to anybody. Inconsiderate teenager.

But when it was finally my turn to pay, two more people show up with single items after moving over from a slower checkout register and they asked me if they could cut in. I promptly ignored them and began unloading my stuffed shopping cart. Maybe they didn't see the two others I let thru or the way the last guy treated both me and the cashier, but they definately got this impression that I was the jerk here for not letting them in ahead of me.

Maybe this guy at Costco was standing in line long time when you came up behind him. But for whatever reason he used not to let you in, it didn't matter because he was ahead of you and not behind you as in a car trying to merge in.

Your expectation was to cut in front of him because of your minimal purchase and when he didn't, you judged him. That to me is arrogant. But don't feel incensed with it because we all display arrogance to another every now and then. You don't have to say or display it. Just thinking of retaliation is a form of arrogance. We're all guilty...even me for calling you arrogant as well. The truth can hurt but the reality is if we all here weren't friends of sorts, we wouldn't be telling each other to be less of an ass to the people we encounter. A good friend tells it like it is so we don't have to hear it from the next person we judge as a jerk.

I don't think you meant it to be arrogant but that's the way it comes across to others. Like I tell my kids, it's not all about "you", it's about how you conduct yourself amongst others because they will determine if those doors will open for you or not. The litmus test is how you would feel if someone expected something from you without asking.

If I'm standing in a shopping aisle looking for something and another customer is breathing down my neck expecting me to move and they don't even say, "excuse me" I'll just keep on looking because either I don't know they're there or they expect me to simply move because of their presence. both of us are displaying some level of arrogance, both of us are arrogant. But both of us are holding our ground waiting for the first one to blink. The winner is always the one who's either more arrogant or in my case, too focused to see that I'm blocking someone else and my deaf ear didn't hear the curt, "Ahem".

And when they finally move past me in a huff I tell them, "and a nice fuck you too asshole". Yeah that was arrogant but it was worth going to hell for it
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Ali`i

Craig, you made some good points.

So what is your assessment regarding Scrivener's dislike with Dillingham Popeye's clientele?

Some might immediately take offense to his statement, especially if they're regular customers there.

I must say, along with the many (what I consider) rude Hawaii Kai Costco experiences, the GOOD experiences interacting with other customers in that store far outweigh the bad, which is why I continue shopping there.
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Craig, you made some good points.

So what is your assessment regarding Scrivener's dislike with Dillingham Popeye's clientele?

Some might immediately take offense to his statement, especially if they're regular customers there.

I must say, along with the many (what I consider) rude Hawaii Kai Costco experiences, the GOOD experiences interacting with other customers in that store far outweigh the bad, which is why I continue shopping there.
Mahalo Pomai for being so courteous to me My assessment on Scrivener is that he's a very sophisiticated kind of person who has demanding tastes for the things he enjoys...almost eclectic. Is that bad? Not necessarily but the clientele may have felt offended by his remarks.

One thing I did do while living in Honolulu was preferring the Hawaii Kai Costco over the "then" Salt Lake Costco only because of the "clientele". While in the Salt Lake Costco I would encounter families where the kids are foul mouth as well as the parents. But you don't see that kind of behaviour at the Hawaii Kai Costco. But you do see arrogant customers at Hawaii Kai only because of the specific clientele. At Hawaii Kai you find the rich arrogance. At Salt Lake you find the poor arrogance. Either way both are arrogant but at least the rich arrogant ones I can tell my kids don't ever act like that around anybody. At Salt Lake it's hard to cover up the ears of my kids when da modda is whakkin her kids all the while spewing more filth than the Ala Wai sewage spill.

But we need arrogant people so I can point them out to my kids as examples of what not to be in life.