Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: "So You Think You Can Dance" - Season 5

That's true tutusue. I think Nigel just had cranky pants on during his comments about the waltz. I thought Pono's waltz was beautiful.
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Ali`i

Cranky pants...bwahaha!!! I didn't get the impression that Nigel didn't like the dance. My understanding was that in a youth oriented competition such as SYTYCD, a waltz isn't gonna grab the majority of viewers and make 'em stand up and cheer wildly. I agreed with him while wondering why the heck the show would feature a waltz to begin with! Jive, swing and latin I can understand but...waltz?! Personally I think Pono will continue to be judged based on his first top 20 dance, Crash Test Dummies, which was absolutely incredible.

Unlike last week at this time, Pono hasn't updated his Facebook status. He must be out celebrating!!! And, rightfully so!
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ali`i

I usually just watch the group numbers without really analyzing them but I've been seeing/hearing some comments lately that Pono must be doing well even behind the scenes because he has been a "featured" or "lead" dancer in the group numbers so far. I know he was dead center in this past week's Wed night group number but don't recall where he was positioned in other group dances. There were some comments about Mia slighting Brandon by not making him a featured dancer in the group number she choreographed. It makes sense that in any choreographed number, some of the dancers would have bigger roles or be in positions that are more visible (or more focused on by the cameras) than others but I just assumed the dancers rotated. In any event, sounds good for Pono!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

Pono and Kayla just rocked their contemporary dance routine. Fabulous...and I wouldn't expect anything else from Pono because that's his genre. I received a short email from him a few days ago and, unlike 2 weeks ago, he sounded really upbeat. I've charged my cell phone in anticipation of a major vote-o-ramarellathon!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ali`i

I think Pono and Kayla did really well, too. I was a little taken aback by Mia's about face on Brandon and her trying to turn her initial comments about how much he annoyed her and how he had not shown any talent into her being hardest on the ones she really thought the most of.

I didn't like the alien costume for poor Caitlin. It reminds me of another season where the judges asked the dancers (I disremember which dancers) if the dancers did anything to piss off wardrobe to get dressed the way they did for their dance.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:53 AM
Ali`i

I missed Mia's previous, negative comments about Brandon so felt outta the loop with tonight's discussion. I thought tonight's dancing was outstanding...almost as good as week 1. I got a kick out of the alien costume and the condom reference!

I've been trying to vote and have gotten thru only twice. I'm hoping that means lots and lots of voting is going on, esp. since the Hon. Adv. did an article on Pono yesterday. I really, really hope it's not faulty phone lines. I'd never gotten a busy signal before tonight. Kewl! Just tried again and got thru but that makes only 3 votes. I have another hour!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Ali`i

Spoiler
Awww, it does seem Pono is having a tough time. Yay that he gets to keep trying, though!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ali`i

I've already been 'spoiled'! While posting the YouTube video to Facebook, a comment indicated the outcome. I shoulda thought of that. *sigh*

Hey, Adri. You and I are monopolizing this thread!
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Ali`i

Pono's 2 dances tonight were amazing but the contemporary dance piece, "addiction", choreographed by Mia Michaels, was...was...hmmm...I'm speechless. It brought me to tears.
:::G:O:::P:O:N:O:::
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Ali`i

tutusue: Wow, we are the only two posting here

I felt sorry for the dancers who got the Russian Folk Dance and I liked that Tyce spoke up for the dancers doing the best they could with what they were given.

The Mia Michael's dance brought her to tears, too.

Hope Pono hangs in there!
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Ali`i

I'd love to see Pono win or at least make the tour. He has to survive this week to do that. He deserves to survive. Here's his 'addiction' dance.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Ali`i

Survival=Tour...:::Y:E:A:::
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Ali`i

Spoilerish
Yay for Pono surviving another week! But it's not good that he was in the bottom 3 again this week. Oops, spoiler was wrong. He wasn't in the bottom 3! Yay!

Last edited by Adri; July 10th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Ali`i

Hi Adri
Pono's solo was incredible. Wow! But the judges panned his paso doble. I thought it was great but I don't have a trained eye. How does a brand new couple develop the kind of sensual charisma needed for the paso? I know he was worried about it because he sent out a message a couple of days ago stating..."Save Pono"!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I'm voting like a madtutu in the hopes of single-handedly saving him! For any of you reading this before 11:00 tonight (Wed.)...SAVE PONO by voting now:
1-888-836-7603
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Ali`i

Hi tutusue! This seems like our very own private thread *g*

I did really like Pono's solo and I felt badly for him getting so criticized for his paso doble. I think they did well.

I really really love Travis Walls as a dancer and now choreographer
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ali`i

I love that the show is giving former contestants a chance to show their stuff. Travis' choreography was incredible. So were the dancers who executed it. Just fabulous. I think I mentioned in the last Dancing with the Stars thread that that show used 2 previous SYTYCD contestants as pros. They did well.

Personally I think since the judges no longer "count", that they're trying to influence the voting public. That's probably true across the board with all these talent reality shows. Still, Pono's paso didn't deserve such strong criticism. I watched it again and it was beautiful. The best of the night? No! But excellent nonetheless. Hopefully Hawaii has done it's mega-vote-o-ramarellathon! I contributed my share!

I love the opportunities the talent reality shows offer.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Ali`i

I'm so glad that Pono will at least be on the tour. I'm with you ~ I'm glad SYTYCD offers its former dancers continuing opportunities.

I think in AI a lot of people, myself included, have concluded that it's probably better to make it to the end of the show but not win so you can get a better recording contract after you get all the exposure from the show. But with SYTYCD, being on the show seems to really open doors for a lot of the dancers.
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Ali`i

Spoilery
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! sigh. At least he made the tour.
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Ali`i

Response to spoilery!
Yep...someone spilled the beans on Facebook. I now have my Thursday evenings back...unfortunately. Pono is a class act.