Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ali`i

Default It should be called the FOX Editorial Network not the FOX News Network

a couple of weeks ago, the senior veep at fox news responded to obama's objections to the cable news network by scoffing that the president should know the "difference between the A section of the paper versus the editorial page," as the average american does.

the new york times piece indicates "fox argues that its news hours 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. on weekdays are objective." as jon stewart pointed out (video at the link), this means only nine hours of any 24 are actual news--the rest is mere opinion. the remaining 60%+ of its programming hours, as jon stewart points out, includes fox news darlings beck, hannity & o'reilly--names synonymous with fox news, are all, therefore "NOT NEWS!!" more treacherous is that the supposedly straight news part reports on the opinions expressed on the editorial side as if it were actual news, not faux news.

maybe i'm playing captain obvious here. but earlier this week, fox news...or wait, let's be more correct--sean hannity, a faux news flunky, presented something much more than opinion masquerading as fact regarding congresswoman michelle bachman's tea party last week.

it starts with bachman grossly inflating attendance (20 to 40 thousand versus 10 thousand). yawn--that's normal for faux news. but it turns more perfidious. after showing actual footage of attendance at the bachman event, hannity presented footage from a much more widely attended glenn beck protest a couple months ago as being from bachman's protest. the discrepancy is made obvious by the fact that trees, earlier shown to have much of their leaves fallen, are suddenly verdant. the sky, earlier shown to be clear, were suddenly overcast. stewart even provided the original reporting on beck's protest and showed it side by side with the falsely presented bachman footage, and it was exactly the same.

video here and here.

bottom line? faux news spends most of its programming to spout off its right wingnut opinions, but manufactures, fabricates and fictionalizes film in order to further that opinion. what are fox news's slogans? fair and balanced? real journalism? we report, you decide? only in the bizarro world that is fox news.

the saddest & most pathetic thing about this: as far as i can tell, MSM is pretty much ignoring this one.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: "Faux News...Literally!" or, "Oh, for Fox's Sake!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
...as far as i can tell, MSM is pretty much ignoring this one.
Why give Fox News any semblance of being a legitimate source for unbiased information in America, when their prime reason for existence is to be a dividing factor, to play up the emotional dissatisfaction of a percentage of the country, and (foremost) to make bucketloads of money doing so?

Calling people like Rush Limbaugh & Glenn Beck "journalists" is like calling Ronald McDonald "chef."
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
bottom line? faux news spends most of its programming to spout off its right wingnut opinions, but manufactures, fabricates and fictionalizes film in order to further that opinion. .
Cyn, you are being way too logical......and we all know THAT is not being "fair and balanced"! Ya betcha, wink, wink.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ali`i

Before the next election cycle is over, Fox News will find a way to blame slavery on President Obama.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ali`i

hmm. tis notable that on this thread we're hearing nothing but crickets from certain HTers who have not only declared a rightist leaning, but a have demonstrated a fondness for media. should we take their silence to mean they think such actions by faux are acceptable? inquiring minds would like to know.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ali`i

It's Not Necessarily the News.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
hmm. tis notable that on this thread we're hearing nothing but crickets from certain HTers who have not only declared a rightist leaning, .
OTH, the participants on this thread so far have been the usual suspects.

To be fair and balanced to Faux News, they did correct Para Sailin that it was, in fact, W. Bush who approved the new "In God We Trust" coin, not B. Obama. As you say Cyn, nothing humiliates like the truth!

I love the fact that Sarah just wont go away. Every time she opens her mouth she proves again and again what a dumb burro she is.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Ali`i

This thread is so predictable. After watching it since its inception, I figured it would not be long before there were comments about how no "conservatives" would engage. Why should anyone engage such an obviously biased thread? Personally, I think Cyn was feeling particularly adversarial that day, and Fox News just got on her last nerve.

But I can't just let it go.....I find CNN as left-leaning as you find Fox to be right-leaning. Keith Olbermann's show is the left's version of Fox's (pick the Fox commentator of your choice.) I have heard him be so vicious that spittle left his lips during a rant. I put him in the same camp as Bill Maher; after listening for about 1 minute, it's time to change the channel.

If you Google CNN vs Fox, there are 37,500,000 hits. So this thread is just one version like more than 37 million other liberal vs conservative TV blogs and threads.

In America we have the freedom of choosing which version of reality we want to believe. I reject your reality and substitute my own, as do millions of other conservative Americans. Vive la Liberte!

PS It will be nice to see Lou Dobbs move over to the Fox fold!

Last edited by cyleet99; November 12th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Ali`i

The difference between CNN and FOX is blatant. One tries to get out factual stories or commentary, and the other has no use for facts.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

Jon Stewart caught Sean Hannity using old footage to insinuate that a new teabagging protest had reached sizable numbers.

http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/11/12/s...o-jon-stewart/
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
The difference between CNN and FOX is blatant. One tries to get out factual stories or commentary, and the other has no use for facts.
Both have their good points and their bad points. One could argue your point both ways. Here are 7 reasons CNN is having problems and losing viewers to Fox.

Last edited by cyleet99; November 12th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
Why should anyone engage such an obviously biased thread?
Pointing out an obvious manipulation of the news by Faux News is somehow showing bias? If you have examples of CNN manipulating the news by showing crowd clips from other rallies, please post them. I'd like to know about it.

Quote:
In America we have the freedom of choosing which version of reality we want to believe. I reject your reality and substitute my own, as do millions of other conservative Americans.
What about those of us who don't watch any of the "news" channels? I don't even have a TV. I choose to form my own opinions rather than let a "news" channel dictate to me their version of reality. Limbarf says it is not necessary to listen to any news, he will tell you everything you neeed to know. Yea, right, hell will freeze over in my house before that happens!

Quote:
Who is Lou Dobbs?

I think it is interesting that Shawn Enmity admiited that Jon Stewart was right that Faux had manipulated the coverage of the Bachmann rally. Then he added a snarky remark thanking Stewart's writers for watching his show. My question is, how would Enmity know what was on Stewart's show unless his writers were watching Stewart? Snarkiness works both ways!

Old November 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Kumu

Quote:
hmm. tis notable that on this thread we're hearing nothing but crickets from certain HTers who have not only declared a rightist leaning, but a have demonstrated a fondness for media. should we take their silence to mean they think such actions by faux are acceptable? inquiring minds would like to know.
Chirp, chirp.

I haven't watched TV "news" since Walter Cronkite left the set.

My father-in-law worked for CBS in Washington from the mid-1960s to the early '90s. Judging from his stories it was barely news then, either, and Fox's shenanigans certainly aren't new(s) today.
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ali`i

Far be it that CNN are perfect, they're just a basic news show. They don't go much for the over the top stuff that generates higest ratings, let alone tossing bloody raw meat to those that FN purposely attract.

The seven deadly CNN sins, much of that isn't too true. But it's to be expected that they will have ups and downs, eventually more loses because - it's just news.

Update on your link, they now have Hannity's mea culpa, and as Stewart sed "like they didn't know".

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; November 12th, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

I love Cyn's threads!

This is gospel.

flickr
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Ali`i

Rupert Murdoch should be stripped of his US citizenship, the frauds he has committed totally justify it. Then he could no longer own American broadcasting stations, Fox would be bankrupt. The gvt. should also demolish whoever the lenders are that have enabled Fox to defraud America. Fraud is not and never has been protected free speech. Enough is enough.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ali`i

FOX has some heavyweight journalists on their staff, like Shepherd Smith, Major Garrett, and Brit Hume. Anyone who doesn't recognize that knows not what they are talking about. But all of their fine work on Rupert Murdoch's network is largely overshadowed by the headline grabbing buffonery of Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly.

But truth be known, given a choice between watching Keith Olbermann and O'Reilly, I'll usually pick the latter. At least Billo has the guts to engage in lively debates with the likes of Al Sharpton and Marc Lamond Hill on a regular basis, while Keith continues to furiously cling to his merry-go-round of liberal "yes" men like Howard Fineman, Richard Wolffe, and Lawrence O'Donnell.

Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 12th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Ali`i

I'm guessing that Lou Dobbs will be appointed the senator from Texas when Kay Bailey Hutchison abandons the post to run for governor. Should happen before the end of the year.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
FOX has some heavyweight journalists on their staff, like Brit Hume.
At least Billo has the guts to engage in lively debates.
When has Hume ever been anything but a lapdog 'journalist' for the right?

Debates? You mean ranting shoutdowns and then cutting anybody who dares to get over on him right off the air, don't you?

I agree, cut their biased funding and watch the fox wither away.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
Pointing out an obvious manipulation of the news by Faux News is somehow showing bias? If you have examples of CNN manipulating the news by showing crowd clips from other rallies, please post them. I'd like to know about it.
I was not dissing Cyn's post. I was simply pointing out the left drift of the thread and the challenge to any others who might share a different opinion. Far be it from me to defend a defenseless position (i.e. the use of one rally's film for another.)Sean Hannity does not grace our living room, so my knowledge of this episode is limited to what I have heard and read from other sources.

Quote:
Who is Lou Dobbs?
You are too funny.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
they're just a basic news show. They don't go much for the over the top stuff that generates higest ratings, let alone tossing bloody raw meat to those that FN purposely attract.
omg. Please tell me you didn't say that. If what you say is true, then Fox is "just a basic news show" as well.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
You are too funny.
That's a prerequisite for the matapule job!

This is not a question of personal political leanings. It is all about holding the media responsible for what they present as news. Jon Stewart did us all a favor by exposing Faux New's continuing manipulation of the "news." Now lets see if we can catch Stewart in some hypocrisy. That's when it gets fun, holding the media accountable. Cyleet, if you run across something from CNN, please post it.

Old November 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I find CNN as left-leaning as you find Fox to be right-leaning. Keith Olbermann's show is the left's version of Fox's (pick the Fox commentator of your choice.) I have heard him be so vicious that spittle left his lips during a rant. I put him in the same camp as Bill Maher; after listening for about 1 minute, it's time to change the channel.
A couple small corrections, if I may: (1) Keith Olbermann is on MSNBC, not CNN.

(2) Bill Maher proclaims himself to be a humorist and entertainer, not a newsman.

=============
Personally, I dislike hearing ranting from either end of the political spectrum; it discourages dialogue and hinders progress, whether the spittle comes from the left or the right side of the mouth.

I'm not surprised to see this thread avoided by our more conservatively-minded posting compadres; why would they throw themselves into a lion's den? I doubt that most would feel a desire to face frustration and attack simply to mount a defense of Fox News.

Quote:
So far, Fox denies that they've had any discussion with Dobbs about hiring him; wonder if that will hold up to scrutiny?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
Rupert Murdoch should be stripped of his US citizenship, the frauds he has committed totally justify it.
When he became an American citizen, he lost his Australian citizenship. He'd be quite a wealthy "man without a country," wouldn't he?

Quote:
I think it is interesting that Shawn Enmity admiited that Jon Stewart was right that Faux had manipulated the coverage of the Bachmann rally.
Quote from Fox:
Quote:
“Although it pains me to say this, Jon Stewart, Comedy Central, he was right,” said Hannity on Fox News. “He was correct, we screwed up. We aired some video of a rally in September along with a video from the actual event. It was an inadvertent mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.”
I will say that I admire Fox News for admitting their error; that was the right thing to do.

Last edited by Leo Lakio; November 12th, 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: just keep on addin' ...
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ali`i

Interesting to see the change from this thread's original title:

"Faux News...Literally!" or, "Oh, for Fox's Sake!"

to the more innocuous:

"FOX News Network".

Trying to fool conservative HT'ers into reading the thread, perhaps?
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: FOX News Network

Quote:
That's a prerequisite for the matapule job!

This is not a question of personal political leanings. It is all about holding the media responsible for what they present as news. Jon Stewart did us all a favor by exposing Faux New's continuing manipulation of the "news." Now lets see if we can catch Stewart in some hypocrisy. That's when it gets fun, holding the media accountable. Cyleet, if you run across something from CNN, please post it.
I'm on the hunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Interesting to see the change from this thread's original title:

"Faux News...Literally!" or, "Oh, for Fox's Sake!"

to the more innocuous:

"FOX News Network".

Trying to fool conservative HT'ers into reading the thread, perhaps?
Ah, well, in for a penny, in for a pound. How'd that happen, anyway? Did admin have to change it? BTW, thanks for the info about MSNBC; I coulda sworn I saw Olbermann on CNN. I still don't like him as a commentator; unfortunately I have not seen any of his work as a journalist.