Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
Kia`aina

Default I almost forgot,.......my taxes!!!!

Since moving to the Big Island I have lost track of a lot of my responsibilities, and one of them is filing my taxes. Well, I have about 15 days left and I wanna try something different this year. My 'Tax Man' of the past 10 years in on Oahu. So this year I wanna try something, or somebody else.
There use to be several companies on Oahu that would prepare your taxes for free. Does anybody remember their names, or even know who I'm talking about? I'm trying to find them, or somebody like them on the Big Island. I wonder if "Taxbusters" was their name? That kinda rings a bell?

Plus, have any of you good folks ever used TurboTax or TaxCut software to do your taxes? If so, how was the experience you had with it? I'm not ruling out the idea of getting one of these softwares to do my taxes either..
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Kumu

Default Re: I almost forgot,.......my taxes!!!!

Theres places on Oahu that does your taxes fo free?

Usually if you got gooood connections or a reliable relative/friend that is 99% accurate in helping you out then yeah.

But going to anyone, place of business or on-line which is the thing now there is some kind of fee involved. Some companies offer special rates to employers if they go thru their tax provider or whatevers.

I myself try to go with whoevers that charges less and will get me back the most $$$ for my refund providing that I don't owe.

I have been doin mines with TURBOTAX and they are pretty good.

And you do have the option of paying the tax prep seperate or having it deducted out of your refund.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Ali`i

I've been using TurboTax for years. I haven't had any problems with it. It makes tax filing easy. I'd recommend it, unless your tax situation is complicated.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I've been using TurboTax for years. I haven't had any problems with it. It makes tax filing easy. I'd recommend it, unless your tax situation is complicated.
I'd like to try it. But what version should I use? I'm a family man. Claiming two kids, filing jointly with wife, and have your usual deductions etc,etc..

So basically you're saying it's pretty easy to use, even for computer dummies like myself?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
Theres places on Oahu that does your taxes fo free?

Usually if you got gooood connections or a reliable relative/friend that is 99% accurate in helping you out then yeah.

But going to anyone, place of business or on-line which is the thing now there is some kind of fee involved. Some companies offer special rates to employers if they go thru their tax provider or whatevers.

I myself try to go with whoevers that charges less and will get me back the most $$$ for my refund providing that I don't owe.

I have been doin mines with TURBOTAX and they are pretty good.

And you do have the option of paying the tax prep seperate or having it deducted out of your refund.
yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they are called "Taxbusters", and yes they do it for free. I believe they are in Kalihi near the DMV before if my memory serves me correctly?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I'd like to try it. But what version should I use? I'm a family man. Claiming two kids, filing jointly with wife, and have your usual deductions etc,etc..

So basically you're saying it's pretty easy to use, even for computer dummies like myself?
It is fairly easy. It walks you thorugh the process. But it's especially easy if you use it every year, since it remembers your previous returns and fills in whatever information is pertinent [i.e. name, address, etc., as well as "this is what you did last year ... is this correct this year"] It then uses your Federal information to fill in the blank for your State Tax form, if you choose to do State Taxes with TurboTax.

Having said all that, it probably would be more prudent to do your first TurboTax return early, instead of as a last minute thing. In your case, maybe it would be best to do this next year.

I don't want to give you bum information ... especially with taxes.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
It is fairly easy. It walks you thorugh the process. But it's especially easy if you use it every year, since it remembers your previous returns and fills in whatever information is pertinent [i.e. name, address, etc., as well as "this is what you did last year ... is this correct this year"] It then uses your Federal information to fill in the blank for your State Tax form, if you choose to do State Taxes with TurboTax.

Having said all that, it probably would be more prudent to do your first TurboTax return early, instead of as a last minute thing. In your case, maybe it would be best to do this next year.

I don't want to give you bum information ... especially with taxes.
But if it walks you through the proccess! As the great Alfred E. Neuman use to say, "What me worry". I should be okay. I really should be okay, and like Intuit says, if you don't like the results...no pay!!!!

Is there a reason you picked 'TurboTax' over 'TaxCut'? If so could you explain to me the difference.....in brief of course!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via Yahoo to blueyecicle

I have used Turbo Tax for the last 4 years and e-filed too.

I LOVE it. I used to pay 75- 150.00 for a guy to do my taxes...now I pay 0 or 29.99.

I have business deductions, medical deductions, and a home. They catch it all.
Takes me about 1 hour to put all the info in and I can print and access it next year too!

I am sold.

I did my sisters on the free turbo tax, my brothers on turbo tax, 2 of my friends and my step sister.

That is how much I like it! LOL
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Ali`i

I've used Turbotax for about 5 years too. And like Blue says, one of the best things about it is after the first year, you can import all your basic information into the next year's spreadsheets with no problems at all. I've generally used Turbotax Basic but this year I decided to spring for the Deluxe version because I had some "interesting" tax situations in 2006.

I'm glad I used this version because it asked me about every single possible tax deduction I might be able to take (with TT Basic you sometimes have to guess). Since we don't have a State income tax up here, it even flagged the deduction I can take for state sales tax, and also reminded me about the federal telephone excise tax rebate that I was entitled to.

Miulang
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
and also reminded me about the federal telephone excise tax rebate that I was entitled to.

Miulang
huh, what federal telephone income tax rebate?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyecicle View Post
I have used Turbo Tax for the last 4 years and e-filed too.

I LOVE it. I used to pay 75- 150.00 for a guy to do my taxes...now I pay 0 or 29.99.

I have business deductions, medical deductions, and a home. They catch it all.
Takes me about 1 hour to put all the info in and I can print and access it next year too!

I am sold.

I did my sisters on the free turbo tax, my brothers on turbo tax, 2 of my friends and my step sister.

That is how much I like it! LOL
Have you had any problems with TurboTax at all over the years? If so what did you do to solve problem? I'm just worried about if I need help with TurboTax. I have heard their online support really isn't support at all! I'm reading about a lot of people pissed off for piss poor support from Intuit.

Last edited by Beachboy; April 3rd, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Have you had any problems with TurboTax at all over the years? If so what did you do to solve problem? I'm just worried about if I need help with TurboTax. I have heard their online support really isn't support at all! I'm reading about a lot of people pissed off for piss poor support from Intuit.
Well, to be quite honest, I simply have not had a problem.
I back everything up with paper copies.
I am careful about how I store my information.
I have never even had to call in. It's pretty self explanatory.

I have saved evey years paper copy and have never had my taxes questioned. I get my refund in 10 days in my bank account.
So I am not the one to ask about customer service.

Oh, the phone rebate, I got 60.00. Basically it is 60.00 for anyone who had a phone. For overtax I believe.
60 bucks is 60 bucks!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Luna

Quote:
I used to go in person to H&R Block but the lady I use to see retired and the new one was going to start raising the price from $75 to full price which looked like it could be in the $200's. Did not like how the Tax Advisors can play with pricing. I heard Turbo Tax had an easier to use software. But, I decided to use TaxCut and for the last 2 years and no problems. Also if you get the best value; Federal + State + Efile it comes with one free Ask an Advisor Session just in case you need to speak to one.

The Federal part is more automated than the State. For the State I've had to manually compute my penalties for not withholding enough taxes. Though it did give the option of letting the Dept. of Taxation figure it out for you. Seems like the TaxCut software is not develped to automate all the calculations for the State.

The more involved you are, the better you'll be at reducing your future taxes and learning the minimums amounts to pay without incurring penalties and just paying the balance owed at tax season.

You'll never truly know how good any Tax advisor or software is until you get audited. I never did, so I don't know.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
huh, what federal telephone income tax rebate?
This rebate.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Ali`i

Beachboy...if you end up finding a free (free? really?) or an inexpensive tax person, maybe also buy TurboTax and do it yourself. Then compare the 2. That might give you a better idea of what to do next year. Yep, a little more expensive this year but it should give you some good insight. Just a thought...
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Is there a reason you picked 'TurboTax' over 'TaxCut'? If so could you explain to me the difference.....in brief of course!
Actually, I've never tried TaxCut because I've always had TurboTax (from at least the late- or even mid-90's) and haven't had any problems, so why switch? I did have one problem this year, but it wasn't with TurboTax; it was with my Roadrunner connection. In order to use TurboTax, you have to have a good internet connection in order for the software to search for updates, etc. I had to fix my Roadrunner connection before I could use TurboTax. (This is why I was so cautious about recommending it to you for this year.)

The first time you use TurboTax will be the hardest because you have to enter everything manually, but the following year(s), it becomes so easy because of how it fills in the information and all you have to do is confirm that it's correct. If things have changes (new job, a different bank or investor institution), then make the changes. So simple. And it will be reflected the following year.

Also, it is tax deductible (it's considered the same as paying a tax preparer, which is what TurboTax is). The e-filing is great, though you might have to pay (some years, it's free; other years it not -- I think it's based on the how the software package is sold -- but either way, I would choose to e-file). Another plus: you get confirmation by the Federal and State government by email that your tax form has been "accepted", which comes within two or three days after you send. And if you have a refund, you can have it electronically deposited in your bank. If you have to pay, that's another story.
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Actually, I've never tried TaxCut because I've always had TurboTax (from at least the late- or even mid-90's) and haven't had any problems, so why switch? I did have one problem this year, but it wasn't with TurboTax; it was with my Roadrunner connection. In order to use TurboTax, you have to have a good internet connection in order for the software to search for updates, etc. I had to fix my Roadrunner connection before I could use TurboTax. (This is why I was so cautious about recommending it to you for this year.)

The first time you use TurboTax will be the hardest because you have to enter everything manually, but the following year(s), it becomes so easy because of how it fills in the information and all you have to do is confirm that it's correct. If things have changes (new job, a different bank or investor institution), then make the changes. So simple. And it will be reflected the following year.

Also, it is tax deductible (it's considered the same as paying a tax preparer, which is what TurboTax is). The e-filing is great, though you might have to pay (some years, it's free; other years it not -- I think it's based on the how the software package is sold -- but either way, I would choose to e-file). Another plus: you get confirmation by the Federal and State government by email that your tax form has been "accepted", which comes within two or three days after you send. And if you have a refund, you can have it electronically deposited in your bank. If you have to pay, that's another story.
so basically since this is my first time using TurboTax. Do you recommend I should have my 2005 tax returns by my side so I can transfer numbers to TurboTax since this is my first time using the software?
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ali`i

I would have them on hand.

You HAVE to have your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) number from last year to e-file through them anyways. Unless you want to wait and sign a form then wait some more.
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
so basically since this is my first time using TurboTax. Do you recommend I should have my 2005 tax returns by my side so I can transfer numbers to TurboTax since this is my first time using the software?
Yes, you need to have last year's tax information available, especially if you intend to file electronically. Your previous year's AGI figure is part of your "electronic signature". This year, I think you have until April 17th to file, but unless you have all your receipts and 1099s etc. already all put together in one place for easy reference, you might want to think about filing for an extension.

Miulang

P.S. the other thing Turbotax does is it keeps track of whether or not the IRS has accepted your return. I made a typo in my SS# when claiming some educational expenses, and Turbotax sent me a message the next day and told me about the error and made me correct it and resubmit the file. And the second time I submitted it, the return was accepted by the IRS.
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Even when I did my taxes the old-fashioned manual way years and years ago, I had the previous year's tax form at hand. There are some items from the previous year that will be relevent (i.e. if you had to pay State taxes). Also, it's just a good idea to compare what you did last year with what you're doing this year.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
This year, I think you have until April 17th to file, but unless you have all your receipts and 1099s etc. already all put together in one place for easy reference, you might want to think about filing for an extension.

Miulang
April 17th if I owe the Gov. correct? But if I'm getting money back from Gov. it can be filed later,right?

Where do I look for this AGI number you folks are talking about?
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
April 17th if I owe the Gov. correct? But if I'm getting money back from Gov. it can be filed later,right?

Should be right on your old tax form. Adjusted Gross Income.
Line 4 if you filed a Form 1040EZ
Line 21 if you filed a Form 1040A
Line 37 if you filed a Form 1040

http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/html..._info_agi.html

Quote:
Why are taxpayers getting extra time to file and pay?
Taxpayers will have extra time to file and pay because April 15 falls on a Sunday in 2007, and the following day, Monday, April 16, is Emancipation Day, a legal holiday in the District of Columbia.

By law, filing and payment deadlines that fall on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday are timely satisfied if met on the next business day. Under a federal statute enacted decades ago, holidays observed in the District of Columbia have an impact nationwide, not just in D.C. Under recently enacted city legislation, April 16 is a holiday in the District of Columbia. The IRS recently became aware of the intersection of the national filing day and the local observance of the new Emancipation Day holiday after most forms and publications for the current tax filing season went to print.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...167195,00.html

You are supposed to mail in an extension even if they owe you. I tried to find more info but frankly, all the articles say...if they owe you FILE EARLY!
Among the IRS actions that qualify for the new April 17 deadline are:

Quote:
Calendar-year 2006 federal individual income tax returns, whether filed electronically or on paper (Forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ).
Requests for an automatic six-month tax-filing extension on an individual return for calendar-year 2006, whether submitted electronically or on Form 4868.

Last edited by blueyecicle; April 5th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Your AGI is on line 37 of the 1040 form. And even if you think you're going to get money back from the government, it's still a good idea to file for that extension. That would give you an additional 6 months to file.

Miulang