Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: American Idol: Season 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Thought Rod Stewart just plain ol' stunk!
man, that is the TRUTH! i don't know what these guys are thinking! do they realize how embarrassing it is for them to appear so obviously lame in front of millions???

couple shows ago, they had a couple of singers from way back when and i thought they had embarrassed themselves too.

maybe they're too high to realize it!!!!!!!!!!

as far as adam goes, it couldn't have been any better. he got all the exposure he needs without now being stuck as the poster boy for AI; as soon as he can get out from under any contractural obligations to AI, he'll do very well.

by the way, have you guys seen this youtube clip of him singing "is anybody listening?" i think it's as good (not as flashy, of course) as anything he did on AI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEnEUg0fzdQ

Last edited by shaveice; May 22nd, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM
Ali`i

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...s-to-clayhate/

Stop the gay on gay hate!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
I agree that it's probably better for Adam to have gotten all this exposure but not be stuck with the AI contract. I heard someone asked Gene Simmons if KISS would want Adam to perform with them and Simmons said that he thought Adam would do better with Queen.
Heard on the news a few minutes ago that Adam may, indeed, end up in talks with Queen! Had he won AI, those talks wouldn't have been a possibility at this stage of the game.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Ali`i

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/bu...idol.html?_r=1

"AT&T, one of the biggest corporate sponsors of “American Idol,” might have influenced the outcome of this year’s competition by providing phones for free text-messaging services and lessons in casting blocks of votes at parties organized by fans of Kris Allen, the Arkansas singer who was the winner of the show last week. " Apparently only AT&T's mobile phone network can be used to text votes for AI, there were no similar phones and power texting services provided to Lambert fans, and power texts violate AI rules.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Heard on the news a few minutes ago that Adam may, indeed, end up in talks with Queen! Had he won AI, those talks wouldn't have been a possibility at this stage of the game.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090527/...e_adam_lambert
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Well, we know the winner won't be Susan Boyle!
What's the deal with Susan Boyle using language that should be in a Guy Ritchie movie?
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Ali`i

Susan Boyle is getting some street cred to be a rapper with her swearing.
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Ali`i

Appears that the pressure has been getting to Susan Boyle. Having sudden worldwide fame and all of its associated trappings (i.e. loss of privacy, dealing with the paparazzi) foisted upon her after a previous lifetime of anonymity is tough enough. And now, having to directly compete with a serious contender in 12 year old Shaheen Jarargholi....

Don't get me wrong. Boyle has a beautiful voice. There's no taking that away from her. But part of what caused her to be the international sensation in the first place was the element of surprise: A frumpy looking 47 year old shocking everyone by being able to belt out "I Dreamed A Dream" that might put more than a few Fantines to shame. But now that everyone knows that Boyle can sing, will she be able to continue being able to impress Simon and the other judges? Yes, Susan has the voice to join a top notch opera company. But is her potential at becoming a pop superstar greater than Shaheen's? I have my doubts about that.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Don't get me wrong. Boyle has a beautiful voice. There's no taking that away from her. But part of what caused her to be the international sensation in the first place was the element of surprise: A frumpy looking 47 year old shocking everyone by being able to belt out "I Dreamed A Dream" that might put more than a few Fantines to shame. But now that everyone knows that Boyle can sing, will she be able to continue being able to impress Simon and the other judges? Yes, Susan has the voice to join a top notch opera company. But is her potential at becoming a pop superstar greater than Shaheen's? I have my doubts about that.
I don't know if Britain's Got Talent is broadcast here. So, I will try not to give away the results. Is it a good thing to win an American Idol contest? Except for Kelly Clarkson, the non-winners of American Idol have become more famous.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I don't know if Britain's Got Talent is broadcast here. So, I will try not to give away the results. Is it a good thing to win an American Idol contest? Except for Kelly Clarkson, the non-winners of American Idol have become more famous.
BGT is not broadcast here so I checked Yahoo news. Interesting!

Kelly isn't the only successful winner. Carrie Underwood, David Cook and Jordin Sparks are currently enjoying success with Carrie in the lead with 2008 earnings of $14mil; Jordin at $3.1mil and David at $2mil. Here's an interesting blog that shows the Forbes list of 2008 earnings for former American Idol contestants.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Kelly isn't the only successful winner. Carrie Underwood, David Cook and Jordin Sparks are currently enjoying success with Carrie in the lead with 2008 earnings of $14mil;
I thought Carrie Underwood was just the girlfriend before Jessica Simpson of Dallas quarterback Tony Romo. Some Dallas Cowboys' fans were more harsh at Jessica Simpson than Carrie Underwood as a batchi for Tony Romo.
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Interesting article, indeed. If Forbes' calculations are correct, it drives the point home about just how fleeting AI fame is. There's a lot of talented 1st and 2nd place winners who don't have six-figure earnings power from their show biz careers. Hopefully, they all have school and/or day jobs to fall back on.
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv....-idol-20090718;

Save Paula!
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ali`i

Ya know how seniors are encouraged to do crossword puzzles or other games or mind activities to keep their minds sharp; help keep those ol' brain cells from deteriorating? Paula has been my "puzzle" for several months each year. Just trying to figure out what she says keeps me at the top of my game! I'll miss her if she doesn't return! I may actually have to buy a book of crossword puzzles.
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Ya know how seniors are encouraged to do crossword puzzles or other games or mind activities to keep their minds sharp;
Tutu, this is really funny and very appropos! Matapule and uaifi do a crossword puzzle evey night. We just finished one before I signed on to HT!

Quote:
help keep those ol' brain cells from deteriorating?
Obviously doesn't work in matapule's case.

Kay den whippersnappers, what is second largest city in 46th State? 13 letters. Matapule and uaifi nailed it! No lookee in da Internet!

Seniors rock!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Paula has been my "puzzle" for several months each year. Just trying to figure out what she says keeps me at the top of my game! I'll miss her if she doesn't return!
Sounds like a hissy fit trial balloon of "You can't fire me, I quit!"

I wonder how her agent figures out what she's saying.
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Ali`i

Paula is the heart of the show.
Old July 30th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Ali`i

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...how-is-rigged/
What's the difference between this accusation and The Quiz Show scandal?
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: American Idol: Season 8

* bump *

Cnn.com came up with this story:

Season eight "American Idol" runner-up Adam Lambert is no also-ran.
His first album, not due for release until November 24, zoomed to the No. 2 spot on the Amazon.com sales list Monday, behind only Barbra Streisand's much-publicized new jazz album, the New York Post reported.
The distinction ranked Lambert, 27, ahead of Madonna, the Beatles and Susan Boyle on the online retailer's sales list -- and shows that one needn't nab the top title on Idol to win the sales race, as also evidenced by such chart-topping second-place winners as Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken and Chris Daughtry.
Lambert's sales figures are all the more impressive because his label, RCA, made no announcement that the disc could be pre-ordered, so the reaction was basely solely on word of mouth, noted the New York Post.
Collaborating with Lambert on the album are Lady Gaga's producer RedOne, One Republic's Ryan Tedder and Grammy-nominated music producer and songwriter Max Martin.
(...)

Also, you can go to this link to see ten 30-second videos of his various performances on AI last season.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Ali`i

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=451184&GT1=28103

But, Simon is the show.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Ali`i

* bump *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
It's going to be interesting to watch Adam Lambert's progress from here. Will he be the person who finally replaces Freddie Mercury as the lead singer for QUEEN, or... ?
I wrote that three years ago. And today there's a big announcement that Adam Lambert IS the new lead singer for QUEEN!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.