Walgreens in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Was thinking about this and just realize a tidbit. Not all the Walgreens on every corner on the mainland is a full fledged store/pharmacy. There are a few that are strictly just 24hr pharmacies with a drive thru. So perhaps the soon-to-be Walgreens on the old Tower site across from Ala Moana could perhaps be just a 24hr pharmacy with drive thru, drive thru portion being where the old Tower Video location is. This is just a maybe but then again, that could make sense, not competing with Walmart or Longs for the general goods, just the pharmacy.

Comment

The pharmacny war is ramping up...

Longs Buys Gulick Pharmacy, expands

Longs' 32nd location in the islands comes as Deerfield, Ill.-based drug retailer Walgreen Co. prepares to enter the market with two locations -- one on Keeaumoku Street in Honolulu and one in Kaneohe.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        The pharmacny war is ramping up...

Longs Buys Gulick Pharmacy, expands
        Now you're going to have Walgreens stores popping up all over the place like toadstools after a heavy rain! The best thing about some of them is that they are open 24x7, which is great for emergencies. I don't think Longs will be able to compete with Walgreens on the same level because Walgreens is way way bigger as a national chain.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

only 1550 or so of the 5500 stores nationwide are 24-hour operations. the one next to ala moana probably will be so that it can optimize the heavy traffic that flows through the area. does anyone know if they will be redoing the structure of the building to make it look more like a prototypical walgreens (entrance on one corner, with the Rx opposite the entrance) or will they just move in as it is?

Comment

Longs v. Walgreens

The Advertiser this morning published a comparison between Longs and Walgreens. Besides prices, it appears that many of the consumers polled by the Advertiser also look at convenience of location as a primary factor in their decision. Longs appears to have the advantage in that arena, as there are Longs Drugs pretty much everywhere in Hawai'i, and according to the story, the average Longs is larger (and therefore able to carry more items) than the average Walgreens.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I DONT THINK WALGREEN IS TRYING TO COMPETE W/ LONGS DRUG HERE. IMHO, THEIR MAIN COMPETETION IS WALMART FOR THE MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION DRUG PROGRAM. AS A MEDICARE RECIPIENT AND AN ENROLLEE TO THE GENERIC PRESCRIPTION DRUG PROGRAM, I WAS ABLE TO GET GENERIC DRUGS AT $5 /MONTH AT WALGREEN BUT NONGENERIC DRUGS WERE
              $63/MONTH. NOW MULTIPLY THAT AMT TO RETIRED PEOPLE WHO GENERALLY TAKE 5-10 PILLS OR MORE DAILY....WALMART HAS ENTERED INTO THIS PROGRAM TO COMPETE W/ WALGREEN ASKING FOR ONLY $4/MONTH FOR GENERIC DRUGS.i THINK THEY CAN GIVE GENERIC DRUGS FOR FREE AND STILL MAKE A PROFIT BECAUSE THE "HOLE OF THE DOUGHTNUT" LIST OF EXPENSIVE NON APPROVED NON GENERIC DRUGS IS QUITE LARGE.....

Comment

whoa whats wit all da CAPS?

FOLLOW UP!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...NEWS/706150370

A total of "4" locations of Walgreens planned to be openning/scheduled to be on OAHU!
                Walgreens is awright here where I am at but SHEESH!
                One in each city? It's like the ABC STORES and STARBUCKS!
                One on each block.. LOL

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the Kalihi location. I think a store like this in a location like this is a good thing for the neighborhood. It may especially be good if it gives Longs something to think about. I love me my Longs, but the Kam Bowl location is just slightly more convenient, and if the parking's good, it'll be a bit more than just slightly more convenient.

I have not been to a Walgreen's in ages, and the one I last went to was a very small store, so I don't know what to expect from this new store in my 'hood. I do think it would be great if, in addition to just retail space, it provided some space for hanging out. That bowling alley was a social center of my community—a place I'd almost certainly run into people I knew or at least recognized. Some kind of snack bar or coffee shop or SOMEthing would be most welcome. Now that TCBY has left Kam Shopping Center, maybe a little ice cream stand would work. When I got my sweet tooth on, I want something cold and creamy.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

About Kalihi, why not take over the location where Grocery Outlet and GEM used to be?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      About Kalihi, why not take over the location where Grocery Outlet and GEM used to be?
                      Nobody lives near there. Well, not NOBODY, but that's not right in a neighborhood like the Kam Bowl site. Right? And there wouldn't be a drive-through.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

i started a thread on the article itself. if you want to reply to it go to the bottom of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Nobody lives near there. Well, not NOBODY, but that's not right in a neighborhood like the Kam Bowl site. Right? And there wouldn't be a drive-through.
                          No, but it is close to what once was a bowling alley across the street. Is a drive-through a necessary component for every Walgreens stores? I'd be happy if they open 24 hours. Is there a walk-through for those without a car, or offer curbside assistance for City Bus riders?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

No, but it is close to what once was a bowling alley across the street. Is a drive-through a necessary component for every Walgreens stores? I'd be happy if they open 24 hours. Is there a walk-through for those without a car, or offer curbside assistance for City Bus riders?

Some of the Walgreens locations do have drive thru for PHARMACY that is.
                            The set up reminds me of a Bank.

And there are a few of em that operates 24 hours

Comment

The 24 hr Walgreens tend to be the ones with the drive-thru as they close the storefront after a certain hour to be safe. I don't know if one can simply conduct business at the drive-thru window by walking-up. Maybe? But ultimately, I understand the need to operate behind a security window and metal drawer after hours. There are thieves who target these stores not for the cash but for the drugs. It's happened a few times on the mainland.

Comment

"don't need it. don't want it. we can only slice up the pie so many times, then our land is covered by only bigbox multinational corporate chain stores and our towns resemble just another ugly generic city in the valley."
                                Quote from earlier in this thread.

As usual, I tired of reading through the thread but found a few nuggets to contribute. **I apologize for my absence these last few month - I have temporarily returned to the mainland and everytime I visit anything or see anything Hawaii related, I am just saddened, but alas I will return within the next 12 months.***

I read this quote and thought to myself . . . . the only word that really stood out for me was multinational - isn't that the true beauty of Hawai'i? How, for the most part, people from every corner of the globe have found a way to coexist in harmony? Just a thought.

In another part of this thread, someone brought up the scourge that is Walmart. I often wonder what it is about Walmart that people dislike so much. Is it because poor or smart people can shop there and save money? I am yet to meet anyone who is not a fan of conserving their own funds. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Walmart has created an economic environment that has driven production out to the USA and I can't say that I'm fan of that. But I also can't say that I'm not a fan - shouldn't everyone have an opportunity to earn a living? Isn't that what capitalism is all about? Anyone who wants to justify spending money at one corporate entity over another should really do their homework. Look at Walmart's true profits - about 3%. Yet they stay in business and pass the savings on to the consumers.

Who knows what is really right - I sure won't claim to know that. At least we live in a free country where we can have situations to discuss and the ability to discuss them.

Try to find and spread some Aloha,
                                Ragin Cajun

Comment

Working...
                                X