Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chile Earthquake and Tsunami Warning for Feb. 27, 2010

I mentioned earlier that there could be pulses of activity for another day or two. Well, it's midnight-thirty and I just got home from playing music at an oceanfront home owned by John Morgan across from the old sugar mill at his Kualoa Ranch. We got there about an hour before sunset, and when I arrived the ocean was flat inside the reef about 300 yards offshore. But moments later rocks and coral heads started popping up as the water receded. It got dry almost clear out to the reef. Two minutes later the water rushed back in, rising about 3' and submerging all the rocks and coral heads. This happened about 4 or 5 times, then stopped. About 45 minutes later the cycle started again, then stopped. An hour or so later it happened again, and that continued until I left around midnight. East to see it all under that gorgeous full moon.
    As I wrote earlier, anyone swimming or surfing or kayaking for the next couple of days is a certifiable suicidal masochist. Don't mess with Mother Ocean.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

BJD392,

There's really no way to compare what happened in Chile with Haiti. While the earthquake that hit Chile was stronger, it was farther from a population center and caused far fewer building collapses. I think the death toll in Haiti was up to 20,000 this long after the event; last I saw on the news Chile was at 300-400.

Chile also has a long history of earthquake preparedness and is for most purposes a "first world" country with a functioning emergency services system and government. I would be surprised if Chile made any requests for help beyond some specialized equipment and skill sets.

Comment

That shouldn't matter to some of the self-proclaimed humanitarians in here that gave other people problems for their stance on Haiti; unless we're saying that those hundreds of lives are insignificant because they had more preparation. Case dismissed.

Comment

CNN had a feed of a camera on the guy trying to surf. He paddled for wave after wave and never caught one, then when he finally did he gooned it, and they kept playing that over & over & over...not my choice for getting in a surf movie let alone splashed all over the world news. Another camera showed water rushing into and out of Hilo Bay. Looking again at figures in the Hawaii Atlas vol. 2 for tsunami run-ups in feet, it is pretty apparent that tsunamis coming from the north are usually much bigger in Hawai'i than those coming from the south.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            As I wrote earlier, anyone swimming or surfing or kayaking for the next couple of days is a certifiable suicidal masochist. Don't mess with Mother Ocean.
            A few of the guys from my dorm decided to go surfing late last night. These same people had been cavalier during the tsunami warning. Some people will never listen.
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Who knows? The guy may make it on the Jay Leno Show.
              Oh great! Just what we need. An idiot defying safety warnings to be rewarded with an appearance on national TV. As if we don't already have enough problems with idiots who put others in harm's way because they so desperately crave for attention (i.e. Richard Heene/the balloon boy).
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I just saw on Twitter that pzarquon and his family are donating the extra groceries that they purchased (in advance of possible tsunami damage) to their church's food bank.

What a fantastic idea, and one that ought to be circulating far and wide.

Thank you, Ryan.

Comment

Ave Maria! A friend who lives aboard a boat at a local marina said the surge from the tsunami tore apart a pier, several boats bottomed out on the sand or broke their moorings, some crashed into the docks. Some of these boats in the 70 to 80 ft. range. So this tsunami did have consequences!

Comment

What marina was that?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I think Kalalau lives somewhere in California where the surges were bigger than here.

Comment

Yes, I live in San Diego, the marina is at the north end of Shelter Island in San Diego Bay near the Bali Hai restaurant, if you know where that is. Its probably on google earth. I was shocked by my friend's account because there was nothing in the local news about it. He said there was broken wood floating all over the harbor--from piers, docks, boats. Very surprising.

Comment

Re: Hilo Tsunami

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          HawaiiNewsNow (KGMB/KHNL/KFVE) is showing a shot of Coconut Island in Hilo Bay and the water level around that island is going down
                          While a captivating video of the ebb and flow of the affected tides, the video quality was grainy. I hope they upgrade that camera. Based on history, Hilo Bay is a key location, and we need reliable, better quality video surveillance feeds set up all around the Big Island's coasts.

Firsthand, my mother was THERE and experienced the 1946 Hilo Tsunami more upland, having lost friends in its wake. Ever since, she's very PARANOID about Tsunami threats. Ask her (or ask me, and I'll ask her). She has some interesting stories to tell about that event.
                          Last edited by Pomai; February 28, 2010, 07:23 PM.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                            I filled up WaterBob...now have to use up a bathtub full of water. I guess that's a good problem to have!
                            I thought about WaterBob as I was filling waste baskets!!! How do you dry the inside of it?
                            Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                            [...]
                            Besides, the "surfer schmuck" should be allowed to stay out in the ocean if he so desires. It's his life and his fun time. If he wants to drown, then that's the consequence of his choice.
                            While I don't have a problem with that there's still the possibility that should he be injured or lose his life, his family just might sue the C&C and the State. Then there's the cost of emergency personnel having to tend to an incredibly stupid act, not to mention the personnel being put in harm's way needlessly. As it was, he cost the taxpayers money with the HPD chopper being sent to warn him. He should be made to reimburse that cost. Yes, I know the chopper was in the air anyway.
                            Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Oh great! Just what we need. An idiot defying safety warnings to be rewarded with an appearance on national TV. As if we don't already have enough problems with idiots who put others in harm's way because they so desperately crave for attention (i.e. Richard Heene/the balloon boy).
                            You deleted Pomai's laughing smilie.

Time for me to return to my letter of disgust to a McDonald's franchise owner!

Comment

We sure dodged the bullet, as the saying goes!

Incredible watching Hilo bay/harbor draining and filling again. It was amazing!
                              Then the reef off of Maui became exposed... and on. But no real damage. Cool!
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Evidently looting is breaking out in Chile now. It brings up a question I have had for a long time. When, if ever, are you allowed to simply take what you need in order to survive? Say there is a huge disaster and you are without food or water or shelter and you have spent your last dime already and of course no banks are open. Are you just supposed to starve to death or die of thirst? Or are you allowed to enter a store and take (steal?) what you need to get through a day? If you are caught in a blizzard (real likely in Hawai'i...) are you allowed to break into and enter a house for shelter in order to survive, or does the law require you to just go die?

I saw people looting after Katrina, in many cases they had to in order to survive, and its not hard to imagine the same situation in Haiti and in Chile after their earthquakes, the same thing could happen anywhere, certainly in California if an 8.5 knocks down San Francisco again. Question is, what does the law permit people to do to survive?

Comment

Working...
                                X