52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

Let the discussion begin. Interesting that there are only four nominees this time around. And is it becoming obvious which way the award winds will blow?

Best Hawaiian Music Album - (Vocal or Instrumental.)

* He Nani
    Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

* Friends & Family Of Hawai`i
    Amy Hanaiali`i
    [UA Records]

* Nani Mau Loa: Everlasting Beauty
    Ho`okena
    [Ho`omau Inc.]

* Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Volume 2
    (Various Artists)

Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Jr., Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

The 'one' with Hawaiian steel guitar on it...

Masters Vol. 2
    Bobby Ingano play's his signature tune, Sleepwalk.

Trophy, please!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: 52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

they need to make those classifications vocal OR instrumental. Then Amy can win a grammy. It will probably go to the slack-key album again since thats all the voters seem to recognize. it's sad.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Once again I will respectfully disagree. They don't give separate awards for instrumental metal and vocal metal, as they are really the same kind of music. Slack-key guitar and whatever you call what Amy does are really the same kind of music. If the voters think the ki hoalu compilation is a better album than Amy's album, that's how they should vote, no matter how many compilations have won in the past.

Like you, I wish a greater variety of music would win the award, but it's a young award. Give it (and the voters) some time. And I really, really don't want something to win if its voters don't truly think it's the best album. Forget the past: focus on THESE albums NOW.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          And I really, really don't want something to win if its voters don't truly think it's the best album.
          Which is why I ALWAYS vote for the album that I feel best represents the category - and why I rarely pick the winners in some categories, yet often do amazingly well in others; I tend to do pretty well in Jazz, suck in New Age, and usually nail a high percentage of the albums that win in Classical; all categories where I tend to know the nominated material strongly. (I won't say how I've done in Hawaiian albums in the past, as that would reveal too much about my vote!)
          Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          It will probably go to the slack-key album again since thats all the voters seem to recognize.
          Ah, but remember - slack key didn't win last year.

I think this is Amy's third nomination, though - good for her! I've heard some ki ho`alu artists say that they may get a lot of Mainland votes because they spend a lot of time and effort touring the ConUS, so they are better known to voters this side of the big water. There's only a little over a hundred Grammy voters based in Hawai`i, last time I saw any figures.
          Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 3, 2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Sad?!

they need to make those classifications vocal OR instrumental. Then Amy can win a grammy. It will probably go to the slack-key album again since thats all the voters seem to recognize. it's sad.
            Hawaiian music is Hawaiian music.
            The slack key CDs win a bunch because they are great CDs, that simple.
            Amy's vocals this time seem to be a rushed effort. Her singing from what I've heard, while still wonderful, could have been smoother and fuller.

Comment

Perhaps one of the major reasons that slack key is so popular on the mainland is because of the popular George Winston (famous pianist) and his Dancing Cat Records. I think it's a combination of that and what Leo said above about the large amount of slack key players touring the mainland.
              Also, and perhaps most important, is that while the Grammy voters may appreciate singers and perhaps even the cultural dynamics of something "exotic" (to them) of songs sung in Hawaiian (and remember that to be nominated a "preponderance" of the lyrics have to be Hawaiian language), what really stands out to the voters is the instrumental work of slack key. Musicians everywhere can appreciate the skill of great players, like those on the compilation albums that won the previous Grammys.
              As for Tia Carerre being nominated again, that's clearly just a matter of name recognition, not talent.
              Just my two cents worth.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Fact is, millions of people love guitar. They discover slack key and a whole new world opens up for them. They can relate.
                Whereas Hawaiian music in general is an acquired taste that takes a while to set in and sometimes never does, it can be too 'foreign', especially the slower more 'boring' and/or hula based/language barrier material.
                As a kid/young adult, I'd probably have slagged off even the stuff I LOVE today, because it was too old or different and not what I was into.
                You pretty much have to 'live Hawaii' to appreciate and then dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  As for Tia Carerre being nominated again, that's clearly just a matter of name recognition, not talent.
                  I was with you all the way up to here. Yes, I'm sure name-recognition is a huge part of it, but it's not JUST a matter of that. It's good work. Surprisingly good work, as has already been commented on in other threads. Tia's "Ulili E" from their (I think) first album is sweet.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv, remember that anyone can make a studio album sound sweet, with the magic of electronic manipulation. To me, the true test has always been how an artist does in a live performance. I tried to give Tia the benefit of the doubt, so I looked at some of her singing performances on YouTube. All I can say is...

Comment

they need to make those classifications vocal OR instrumental.
                      ...what really stands out to the voters is the instrumental work of slack key.
                      Again, for the sake of clarity, I feel the need to point out that, while the album that won the first year was all-instrumental, the other winning slack key albums were about half-instrumental and half-vocal selections, and most sung in the Hawaiian language.

The Carrere/Ho CD that won last year was largely vocal, and featured songs written by Dr. Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman, a scholar of the Hawaiian language and an unquestionable poet in the realm of mele. The new CD, nominated this year, is in the same vein.

Comment

To me, the true test has always been how an artist does in a live performance. I tried to give Tia the benefit of the doubt, so I looked at some of her singing performances on YouTube. All I can say is...
                        LikaNui, I don't think this is a fair way of looking at an album. It doesn't claim to be a live album, so judging it on whether or not it represents fairly what the vocalist can do live is unfair. How is the album on its own merits? That's the way it should be judged. When Billy Joel sang "The Longest Time" on An Innocent Man, he did all the vocals and sang it a capella. I've seen Billy in concert, but you wouldn't have to in order to know that he can't sing five-part harmony live, all by himself. That doesn't take away from how great an album that is (and I do think it's a great album!).

I agree that Tia's not a great singer, but the Tia that comes through on these Daniel Ho albums is nice. This is not to say she's deserving of a Grammy (I haven't heard any of the nominees, so I can't say), but to say she's undeserving because she can't do live what she did in the studio is unfair.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. If the only reason an album sounds good is because the studio engineers are talented, then I don't feel the artists should win the award, the engineers should.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            LikaNui, I don't think this is a fair way of looking at an album. It doesn't claim to be a live album, so judging it on whether or not it represents fairly what the vocalist can do live is unfair. How is the album on its own merits? That's the way it should be judged.
                            We'll have to agree to disagree, then. If the only reason an album sounds good is because the studio engineers are talented, then I don't feel the artists should win the award, the engineers should.
                            Leaving aside the issue of how deserving (or not) Tia Carrere was of winning last year's Grammy, here are some general comments.

1) The Grammy Award is presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. And aside from the special categories (like Lifetime Achievement), the awards are given to tangible pieces of work, like albums, single recordings, music videos, movie/TV/original cast soundtracks, and even album liner notes/packaging. There's no Grammy for best live R&B performance that went unrecorded or best concert tour by a pop act. There may be other prizes (like the American Music Awards) that recognize excellence in the latter categories. But the Grammy isn't one of them.

2) The vast majority of rock/pop recordings from the 1960s onwards aren't one-take "live" recordings made in the studio. Almost all of them are multi-tracked, with overdubs and various forms of editing. And of course, engineering and sound effects like reverb, phasing, ADT, looping, tape looping and pitch alteration are very commonplace and create a musical recording that the artist may not be able to exactly replicate in a live concert setting. Just as an example, the Beatles were awarded album of the year for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, despite the fact that virtually every one of John Lennon's vocals on that LP was mechanically/electronically altered. To use a much more recent example, Cher's Believe was nominated for Record of the Year, in large part because of the vocoder effect applied to her voice, not in spite of it.

Of course, "almost all" does not constitute "all." There are the occasional pop albums (like Eric Clapton's Unplugged album) that achieve widespread popularity, with studio effects kept to a minimum. But in the vast sea of pop/rock releases, those are in the minority.

3) Live chops and concert virtuoso skills do not always translate into great recording artistry. My all-time favorite example of this would be the Grateful Dead. Despite decades of memorable live concerts and a legion of fans that crosses multiple generations, the Dead never won a Grammy award while the band was active. The truth of the matter was that while the Dead had a handful of radio hits and a measure of record sales success, the overall quality of their studio work paled in comparison to their stage show. The point of all this? Never underestimate the skills, instincts, studio smarts, and engineering know-how (both of the performer and those in the control booth) that are needed in order to create the polished, seamless-sounding studio masterpieces that may only last for a few minutes duration, but are the fruits of countless hours (if not days or weeks) of meticulous labor and effort.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Cher's Believe was nominated for Record of the Year, in large part because of the vocoder effect applied to her voice, not in spite of it.
                              To be more precise, it was one of the first commercially-successful uses of the Auto-tune software by Antares as an audible effect. Not exactly the same as a Vocoder (which dates back to the mid-'60s), though often described as such, as "vocoder" has become a generic term for artificial synthesis processing of the human voice.

Hawai`i's own Ten Feet used the same effect on their lovely song, "Windward Skies."

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              The truth of the matter was that while the Dead had a handful of radio hits and a measure of record sales success, the overall quality of their studio work paled in comparison to their stage show.
                              Q: What do Deadheads say when they are not stoned?
                              A: Hey...this music sucks!!!

(I had to... )

Comment

Working...
                              X