X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is drinking old sodas bad?

Originally posted by ojosverdesdegato
    (LOL)
    Hope I didn't sound like I was advising ONLY water...I just meant to increase the amount of clear fluid, especially water.
    I would think though if you were to take in anything else, your pee would never come out clear. Do you mean murky or cloudy? That would make more sense.

But Adrian...if your stomach's feeling a bit woosey pop some Pepto or better yet swallow some Charcoal capsules (you can buy em at Long's Drugs Pharmacy). They help absorb some of the toxins in your tummy and pass it thru your system until it's outta da chute as poop!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

(LOL)
      Hope I didn't sound like I was advising ONLY water...I just meant to increase the amount of clear fluid, especially water. And yes, if someone were to drink an overdose of water, it can cause many problems, starting with the "hemolysis " of Red Blood Cells, thereby leading to a deficiency in Poatssium, which "could" lead to irregular heartbeat, and hence a heart attack. Too much water at one time can also lead to a condition called "Diabetes Insipidus". . . but it would be difficult to drink THAT much water.
      . . . And, sorry, I didn't read all the thread. I jumped in before I read it all. For some reason I thought I was only the third poster. Duh!

Malama pono,

Claudia
      Drinking too much water does not lead to diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus will CAUSE you to want to drink more water because it causes you to pee a lot. It has to do with either a malfunctioning of the hypothalmus resulting in a decrease in anti-diuretic hormone (central or neurogenic DI) or a renal problem that disables the kidney's ability to respond to ADH (nephrogenic).

We see the central form in head traumas, brain tumors, sometimes even strokes. Anything that might damage the pituitary/hypothalmus. As soon as we see a drastic increase in urinary output in these patients we do blood work to detect DI (serum and urine osmolality).

Because the person who has DI urinates tremendous volumes his electrolyte and acid/base balances often get horrendously screwed up, resulting in critically high concentrations of electrolytes. This can result in seizures, changes in mental status, respiratory crises, cardiac arrhythmias, even death.

"Water Intoxication" is a different thing altogether. It is most frequently a psychiatric problem (psychogenic polydipsia). We have a "frequent flyer" patient who is obsessed with drinking huge amounts of water. He ends up in the ER with low serum electrolyte levels, often stuporous, sometimes seizing. So he goes to the ICU (yet again) to be fixed up.

We also had a very sweet elderly lady who ended up in ICU a while back with water intoxication. Her equally sweet and doting elderly husband had filled her with enormous amounts of water. Seems she had been taking medication for a urinary tract infection and the doc had told the hubby to "make sure she drinks LOTS of water." He did just that, good guy that he was, until she became unresponsive. He sat by her bed and cried when he realized what he had done.

We fixed her too.

You're right about possible hemolysis of RBC's in water intoxication---never seen it in a clinical setting but I've heard it can happen. The mechanism of potassium imbalance would have more to do with the the hemodilutional effects of the excessive water, I would think?

And about increasing that clear fluid---does that include vodka?
      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 19, 2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
        Well then Adrian....... change your Avatar to a boy... and we will not think or mistake you are a female..... he he he...
        Maybe he’s a boy in real life, but a girl online. Whoah! Transgendered. Sort of.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
          Well then Adrian....... change your Avatar to a boy... and we will not think or mistake you are a female..... he he he...
          So, if I change it to an avatar of steve balmer, then everyone will think I'm him?

EDIT: The water from the water bottle has a weird taste, but no aftertaste. Still, I just chucked the water. I'll tell my boss tomorrow and maybe I can bring in a case later on.
          Last edited by adrian; September 19, 2006, 02:20 PM.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

You probably did the right thing tossing those old sodas. I read that they can have high levels of dihydrogen monoxide.

Comment

I'm thinking that worse than drinking old soda is that you drank three sodas at once...that's one liter!!!

PS Drinking too much water is one way of doing yourself in, should you be so inclined.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm thinking he's ok since he's posted elsewhere today...

I should have told him to take a couple mentos

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  I should have told him to take a couple mentos
                  Nah, nah, nah ... we got enough "mentos" around here as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Nah, nah, nah ... we got enough "mentos" around here as is.
                    I'm da #1 of dem ALL!

i'M aUNTIE pUpULE!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                      Drinking too much water does not lead to diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus will CAUSE you to want to drink more water because it causes you to pee a lot. It has to do with either a malfunctioning of the hypothalmus resulting in a decrease in anti-diuretic hormone (central or neurogenic DI) or a renal problem that disables the kidney's ability to respond to ADH (nephrogenic).

We see the central form in head traumas, brain tumors, sometimes even strokes. Anything that might damage the pituitary/hypothalmus. As soon as we see a drastic increase in urinary output in these patients we do blood work to detect DI (serum and urine osmolality).

Because the person who has DI urinates tremendous volumes his electrolyte and acid/base balances often get horrendously screwed up, resulting in critically high concentrations of electrolytes. This can result in seizures, changes in mental status, respiratory crises, cardiac arrhythmias, even death.

"Water Intoxication" is a different thing altogether. It is most frequently a psychiatric problem (psychogenic polydipsia). We have a "frequent flyer" patient who is obsessed with drinking huge amounts of water. He ends up in the ER with low serum electrolyte levels, often stuporous, sometimes seizing. So he goes to the ICU (yet again) to be fixed up.

We also had a very sweet elderly lady who ended up in ICU a while back with water intoxication. Her equally sweet and doting elderly husband had filled her with enormous amounts of water. Seems she had been taking medication for a urinary tract infection and the doc had told the hubby to "make sure she drinks LOTS of water." He did just that, good guy that he was, until she became unresponsive. He sat by her bed and cried when he realized what he had done.

We fixed her too.

You're right about possible hemolysis of RBC's in water intoxication---never seen it in a clinical setting but I've heard it can happen. The mechanism of potassium imbalance would have more to do with the the hemodilutional effects of the excessive water, I would think?

And about increasing that clear fluid---does that include vodka?
                      Ypu are correct, my dear collehue. Again I didn't fully expalin my self. I did attend a lecture wherebey it was said that by drinking too much water,one can become water intoxicate, like you said, thus leading to s\"symptom similiar of Dabetees Insipididus. I stand corrected.
                      You actually said what I "should" have said. I HAVR seen wated intoxication in a young girl who was trying to diet, and ws only drinking water. Her initial diagnosis was DI, but finally she fessed up, and like you daid it was DI.
                      Thanks for setting me straight.

Malama Pono,

Claudia

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        I would think though if you were to take in anything else, your pee would never come out clear. Do you mean murky or cloudy? That would make more sense.

But Adrian...if your stomach's feeling a bit woosey pop some Pepto or better yet swallow some Charcoal capsules (you can buy em at Long's Drugs Pharmacy). They help absorb some of the toxins in your tummy and pass it thru your system until it's outta da chute as poop!
                        No Craig, it does not take enormous amounts of water, to the exclusion of all other foods, to get enough water to turn your pee clear. When ever a person sees that their pee is becoming concentrated, they should always increase their intake of water. Urine should be a light straw coloured, and that can be accomplisehd by drinking a full 8 glasses a day. Coffee, alcohol and soda do not count.
                        In Adrian case the extra clear water would counter act the damage a toxin "might" do to his kidneys.
                        Just got in from a 12 hour night, so I'm off to bed,. It is0915 here, and I'm down for the count.
                        G'night
                        Clauddia

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          You're probably going to die.

It's too late for the doctor.

Sorry.
                          OMG!!. That's pretty bad!, LOL.
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            Confuscius say:
                            try to avoid foods in cans as much as possible.
                            Eat fresh and whole as much as possible.
                            Drink water.
                            And black coffee or tea (no sweetening goop).
                            That's a good too, though with "eating fresh food", avoid eating fresh spinach for now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14841731/ and

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/37064/...-hits-the-buzz

And that's my two cents.

Aloha.
                            Aches & Pains
                            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I HAVR seen wated intoxication in a young girl who was trying to diet, and ws only drinking water. Her initial diagnosis was DI, but finally she fessed up, and like you daid it was DI.
                              Huh? "Like I said"?

I hope she went to another doctor. Even the sorriest first-year resident would not have diagnosed water intoxication as DI. The lab results are polar opposites. Some symptoms might be similar, such as changes in mental status. There can be EKG changes in both, but the EKG changes are different.

The lab values are a dead giveaway, as is the urinary output volume.

Sorry---the scenario just does not compute. And it definitely was not "like I said."

Anyway, end of subject for me. I think everyone here has been sufficiently bored by the off-topic slide into medical minutiae.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                                Anyway, end of subject for me. I think everyone here has been sufficiently bored by the off-topic slide into medical minutiae.
                                Time to go get me an ol' soda, before I get too rusty.

Comment

Working...
                                X