Hurricane Jimena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Jimena

Hey, Matapule...are you in harm's way? I can't remember exactly where you live but Baja rings a bell. I just heard on the news that this one has hit category 5 status. Yikes...

Re: Hurricane Jimena

Maybe HE needs the Waterbobs!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      I can't remember exactly where you live but Baja rings a bell.
      Matapule currently lives in Cabo San Lucas with uaifi on the Costa Brava.

As matapule posts this, matapule is sitting outside on his veranda. Jimena is 100 miles due west of us (the nearest point of contact), reportedly a category 4, and heading out of the area. Rain has been very light and everything is dry right now. Wind is blowing about 15 to 20 for about the last 4 hours. Surf is about 8 to 10 feet along the beach in front of uaifi's casa. Matapule sees a young boy outside right now riding his bicycle in the arroyo. That is the extent of it, no big deal.

The reports of matapule's death are greatly exaggerated!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I hope the hurricane wont go near you, Matapule!

Here is the NHC's page for Jimena. I believe it's meant to be bookmarked and refreshed.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
          [...]
          The reports of matapule's death are greatly exaggerated!
          Glad to hear it. So, the obit column this morning was in error once again!!!

Sounds like Jimena is your version of our Felicia. Glad to hear it.

Comment

Matapule, are you staying on your boat? Is it inside the harbor at Cabo, or... ?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Matapule, are you staying on your boat? Is it inside the harbor at Cabo, or... ?
              Matspule's hale is in Cabo San Lucas. The boat, ALOHA, is berthed at Marina La Paz, in La Paz on the Sea of Cortez, about 2.5 hours away. The marina staff is very responsible (owned and run by Americans) and they prefer that owners stay away in these kind of conditions. I just checked the weather in La Paz, and it is raining there but not much else.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Matapule's hale is in Cabo San Lucas. The boat, ALOHA, is berthed at Marina La Paz, in La Paz on the Sea of Cortez, about 2.5 hours away. The marina staff is very responsible (owned and run by Americans) and they prefer that owners stay away in these kind of conditions. I just checked the weather in La Paz, and it is raining there but not much else.
                Thanks for the link. Nice marina! I clicked on the Weather link on their page and it said

Today: A shower or thunderstorm possible this morning, then frequent rain showers along with heavy downpours and strong wind gusts this afternoon. High near 90F. E winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 25 to 35 mph. Rainfall may reach one inch.
                Tonight: Hurricane conditions possible. Showery rains containing strong gusty winds and heavy downpours at times. Low 79F. Winds SE at 40 to 60 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

Sounds frisky. I can understand why the marina doesn't want amateurs around in a hurricane, but with your level of experience they should appreciate the help. Also, I bet you'd rather make sure your boat is secure yourself.
                Anyway, good luck to you, and please keep us posted!

Comment

Apparently Matapule and his boat are fine. I found this on sailing magazine Latitude 38's website today:

While Hurricane Jimena is not dead yet, so far the news has been all good for mariners when it comes this former Category 4 hurricane that paralleled the coast of mainland Mexico a good distance offshore and then finally made landfall at Bahia Santa Maria, about 175 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. Until 24 hours ago, mariners and others in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz — as well as the rest of southern Baja — had reason to be shaking in their sea boots. But the threat has passed for them.
                  According to our good friend Norma Flores at Marina Cabo San Lucas, "the winds weren’t bad at all, and we only had a little rain." More specifically, the winds topped out at about 40 knots and there was only minor flooding. In further good news, while the huge waves pounded the beaches, they did not come directly into the marina, so there was no damage there. "Today is sunny and beautiful in Cabo," Flores said.
                  In La Paz, Neil Shroyer of Marina de La Paz reports that all boating interests and the rest of that big city did even better than Cabo. "We only had gusts to 30 or 35 knots, so the wind wasn’t that strong. In addition, winds came from the southwest and then the southeast, so they were always offshore. We had no rain."
                  (...)

Comment

Looks like Cabo San Lucas and La Paz were spared, but other parts of the Baja coastline got hammered pretty badly. Rather than quote bits and pieces, read the article at this link.

Comment

Working...
                    X