No announcement yet.

What a Hero (US Airways Flight 1549)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a Hero (US Airways Flight 1549)

A BBC interview with one of the first people who posted a photo of the scene on Twitter via his iPhone...

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
      Hero indeed!, flt.1549 The hero indeed. Just like Aloha ftl. 243 Incredible Pilots. Thank God, they where awake
      Aloha 243 was a bigger miracle in my opinion: Capt. Robert Schornstheimer and First Officer Mimi Tompkins had a plane with much of its fuselage suddenly missing and managed to land it in Maui.

Veteran flight attendant CB Lansing was lost when she was blown out of the exploding cabin.

In simulations at Boeing no other flight crew were able to land the aircraft.

I had the honor of meeting Tompkins and she was very humble about it.

Another power-out landing: Air Canada flt 143. Capt. Bob Pearson and FO Maurice Quintal. The aircraft had a total flameout (someone miscalculated fuel when converting pounds to kilograms) and the captain, an experienced glider pilot, dead-sticked it to an old airfield turned into a dragstrip. The front gear collpased but everyone came through unscathed.

These are the sort of situations where pilots really earn their pay. It's not the day to day flying, but their ability to deal with adversity and make it through. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of stories like this. Both in peacetime and in war. They somehow manage to bring back their crews and passengers when conditions turn unfriendly and the odds are against them.

As for the rest who can't stay awake. Well, they don't belong there. Go get a job cleaning restrooms.

Comment

He does seem to be treating it as just part of his job. It seems like he really doesn't want a lot of the attention this brought to him. Poor guy, I'm sure he would rather not have had his entire educational record and IQ scores released to Foxnews.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          He does seem to be treating it as just part of his job. It seems like he really doesn't want a lot of the attention this brought to him. Poor guy, I'm sure he would rather not have had his entire educational record and IQ scores released to Foxnews.
          Actually, I'm waiting to see if FOX news have any record of how many women he slept with. I mean for gawd sake, he's a pilot. Who wouldn't want to sleep with a pilot?
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            It seems like he really doesn't want a lot of the attention this brought to him.
            Well, his union has also requested that he not make himself available to the media while there is an ongoing NTSB investigation, and he has deferred to their request.

Comment

Working...
            X