President Obama's State of the Union Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Obama's State of the Union Speech

Watching it now, finding it positive in all the right places, a good speech but not a barn burner. Your reactions?

Re: President Obama's State of the Union Speech

I am just gonna copy and paste my reply on another board:

I am all for a government that can control it's spending, but will believe it when I see it. I am also of a bi-partisan govt. I know/understand there will be differences, but they bicker, bitch and argue to the point that nothing ever really gets done, and that doesn't help anyone. So much for the whole "One Nation" and "Indivisible".

you can't deny, the guy can give a hell of a speech, it is just a shame that, that is all it is. Actions speak louder than words.

Either way, it's still just s speech, the proof should be in the pudding, and for decades, it hasn't been.

I will ad that, and NOT just for Obama, it seems just like another campaign speech.

I would LOVE to see all these things come to pass, and the states become all unicorns, puppys, and rainbows, but I know that won't happen.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

I wasn't really paying attention to K-5 news. It had a sound bite of Sen. Dan Akaka saying the term "talk stink." Was that a nationwide clip?

Comment

Senator Akaka's statement seems to be meant for the State of Hawaii newscast.

Comment

Sputnik?

So America, under Obama, strives to be as good as red communist russia in the 50's.

I'm certain the joke is on me.

Hahahaha, you guys, okay, i get it. I can take a good ribbing, no problem.

AYFKM!!!!!!
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

When I was in college for entertainment in the library I'd read "China Reconstructs", the Maoist PR mag from China back then. China seemed like such a basket case, so hopeless. And now as President Obama's speech points out, China has the fastest super computer in the world, it has high speed rail well beyond anything here, even this lovely computer I love so much was crafted there. A few years ago I was stunned that their technology was good enough to produce the digital camera I love. That is a sputnik moment, to realize like we did in the '50's when the USSR orbited the first man made satellite, that we are not in the lead any more, we are falling behind, falling farther and farther behind. Everything that produces prosperity and progress sacrificed to the immediate gratification of the super wealthy elite in charge of everything now. Economic experts say China will do very well, but India will actually be the long term leader. Think of it! Just in our lifetimes, India may actually go from millions starving in the streets to being the most prosperous, progressive technological leader of the world. Incredible. And the US doing all it can to cut government expenditures in science and education so the already obscenely wealthy can have even more, and the public just eats it up: Ronald Reagan, our greatest president.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              AYFKM!!!!!!
              Where do you think we'd be without the Obama recovery?
              More years of BushCo, or even worse McPalin, would have had us going under as a nation.

How can you not applaude the slow but steady climb towards another prosperous Dem. lead daylite from the depths of and 8 year con dug ditch?

Yes, the soundbites I've heard were part of an excellant continuation of his legitimate re-election campaign that started with his inauguration, revamped some for the current times, and a declaration to the cons that he is who he is and who they have to beat as he stands on a two year recovery of historic proportions, with jobs starting, and without a 9-11 or Katrina's other than the forgotten oil spill... to sully the weather past what the cons insist on. I see him as ready to start kicking some new butt for himself and gaining an easy 2nd term, even against the con's unAmerican stonewalling and maybe (without too many catalysms) America will benefit along the way. I doubt I'll like much of it but it's better than the bad version of Russia that the dark side of our political spectrum prefers. We need to at least be able to hand future generations a better life than the exceptional life us baby boomers have had, but we're not, and I know who to blame.
              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 26, 2011, 08:16 AM.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                [...]
                How can you not applaude the slow but steady climb towards another prosperous Dem. lead daylite from the depths of and 8 year con dug ditch?[...]
                FWIW, some selfish insight...
                By the end of Bush's term my retirement nest egg was down 33%. As of 12/31/10, it's down only 8%. I'm unhappy that it's down at all and not appreciating but it sure the hell beats a -33%.

EVERYTHING on Obama's plate is important. It can't all be done at once.

Comment

We are SO much better off just-less-than two years later from what we were in and facing, just from the stand point of 'we're not still falling!' but in fact pulling out of the nose dive. That anybody is crying over Obama on the economic issues is mostly unrealistic partisan expectaions per their hate agenda while not giving honest due for the positives.

The only viable candidate the cons have against BO is Jeb BUSH.

Comment

I don't watch speeches, I watch results.
                    I don't pay attention to allegations. but to facts.

AFAIAC, the changes in our economy may be due to Obama or Bush - or Roosevelt.....

No heroes, plenty of villains.

Economics move VERY slowly - except when they don't, as in panics. I haven't seen any panics lately.

I'm pleased at the economic upturn, it has made me more wealthy./ However, I attribute it MORE to the stockholder's/buyers faith than I do to any president.

WE make the market go up and down, according to our expectations. Presidents have little power, except to motivate.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I saw a State of the Union address but what I found kind of strange is that Obama makes mention of America needs to get better in science and research but makes no mention of what plans he has for NASA.

He also make mention of doing high speed rails to connect the cities, and in some cases it would be faster than flying once one considers that you don't have to be patted down to travel on a train.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        I don't watch speeches, I watch results.
                        I don't pay attention to allegations. but to facts.
                        Well, here are some results and facts to chew on. The stock market is up 20% from two years ago. The economy has stopped its freefall and has stabilized at the moment. Consumer confidence is up from two years ago.

You can attribute that upswing to whatever you want, but can you explain why all those things took a tank four years ago?

I attribute it MORE to the stockholder's/buyers faith than I do to any president.

WE make the market go up and down, according to our expectations. Presidents have little power, except to motivate.
                        Why did the stockholders/buyers lower their expectations and lose faith under W?

Your argument has little merit in accepted and verified economic theory, both Liberal and Conservative.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Why did the stockholders/buyers lower their expectations and lose faith under W?
                          They didn't. All was riding fine with brokers until it started collapsing towards the very end of his last term and on into BO's 2nd year.

Comment

Although Obama's SOU message may have included some claims that were arguable and unrealistic, the message was honest and verifiable compared to the response from the two Repubs that contained outright lies and falsehoods.

I guess the Repub philosophy is that if you tell the lies often enough, they will eventually become true. That is hardly admirable.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              I guess the Repub philosophy is that if you tell the lies often enough, they will eventually become true. That is hardly admirable.
                              It's what el bumRusho preaches daily about the Dems. Lot's of idiots still buy his words.

Comment

Working...
                              X