Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 4

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Why do we elevate our politicians status to that of God or Goddess?
    'Cause the pedestal gets em closer to the rope? The closer to they get to it the more likely they'll stick their heads though all on their own.

Comment

Ermm...folksy saying clarifications ahead...just so no one freaks out:

Rope, as in.... "give em enough rope......" The way the price of rope has gone way up, you just can't give enough without some sort of pedestal or a forklift as a cost offset.

Comment

Or we can lower the rope way down like we've lowered the bar for qualifications and expectations for those somehow deemed worthy of deciding futures for us.

Pedestal? More like a piece of newspaper...
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Oh lovely....

Al Jazeera goes out and interviews people going to a Palin rally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

:head~desk:

Comment

Funny how all those folks were so racist against a color that is not their own.

Funny how all those folks felt that they were right because of their color.

Funny how them folks seemed like they would not cotton to strangers.

Hawaii can be a funny place.

Gawd, I hate racism.

glurg
            Last edited by timkona; October 15, 2008, 08:13 PM. Reason: redneck grammar
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
              yet let us not forget the 1948 presidential election/campaign between truman and dewey....

in the end they were all wrong ..... completely and entirely, the commentators, the political editors as well as the politicians....that dewey adamantly will become president....

the fatal flaw back in 1948 was the reliance on the public opinion polls

an announcement was made that dewey was next to be president.
              The Chicago Tribune (a pro-Republican paper) made the now-infamous "Dewey Defeats Truman" banner headline in their early election night edition. But most major media organizations didn't make the same premature projection that day.

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
              in the end truman won....columinst, reporters, and editorial writers blamed themselves for relying too much on the polls.
              The problem for pollsters in analyzing the 1948 election was two-fold. First of all, several large states turned out to be very close battlegrounds between Harry Truman and Tom Dewey. In the end, Truman and the Democrats pulled out narrow victories of less than 1% each in California, Ohio, and Illinois. Had those states gone the other way, Dewey would have been the President.

The second problem that pollsters had to deal with was the presence of a relatively strong 3rd party candidate. Strom Thurmond was the choice of the Dixiecrats, a party made up of former southern Democrats who ran on an anti-civil rights, anti-desegregation platform. No one really had a firm grasp on just how much support Thurmond would take away from Truman in the southern region on election day. As it turned out, Thurmond wasn't as successful as some pollsters thought he would be. While he did gain the electoral votes of Louisiana, Mississippi, S. Carolina, and Alabama, the Dixiecrats weren't quite able to pull off victories in Tennessee, Georgia, N. Carolina, Florida, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, which all had bastions of segregation existing at the time. Had at least 4 of those 6 states went Dixiecrat instead of Democrat, no candidate would have had the required majority of electoral votes and the election of the President would have been turned over to the House of Representatives.

Fast forward to 2008. None of the "third party" or independent candidates (like Bob Barr or Ralph Nader) are even remotely strong enough to muddy any electoral vote projections. While polls are not infallible, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting another chaotic 1948-type of election results this year.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                [...]
                McCain is going to wish somebody would off him when Letterman get's hold of him.
                McCain tries to make peace with Letterman

Comment

I'm wondering if, as McCain walked off after his time with Dave, the band played The Beatles 'I'm A Loser'?
                  Or another Who tune that Bush is fond of "Won't Get Fooled Again'?
                  Or the Stones 'This Could Be The Last Time'?
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Is Joe the Plumber coming on the show too?

Comment

Joe the Plumber was further immortalized this evening on Saturday Night Live Thursday Weekend Update! Poor guy is gonna be sorry he ever went outside to play ball with his son!

There was a great parody of the McCain rally lady, the one who talked about Obama being an Arab! SNL turned her into a crazy lady who wanders in and out of frame. Funny bit!

And then there was last night's debate! Both sides took an SNL hit as did good ol' JtP!

in reference to Palin's appearance on SNL this coming week-end, the AP has reported Palin as saying about Tina Fey:
                      It would be fun to meet her, imitate her and keep on giving her new material.
                      Keep on giving her new material?

Comment

Kristen Wig was awesome as crazy McCain rally lady. I was in tears.

Comment

Jay Leno did a very funny skit last night featuring Bush, Palin and Obama impersonators. Shoots, couldn't find the video online but I laughed harder at this skit than I did at SNL. Didn't think that was possible! I dunno where Leno's show found the Bush guy, who's been on the show for quite awhile, but he's absolutely hysterical and looks so much like the real W. "Palin" was also excellent but unfortunately for her she'll always pale in comparison to Tina Fey. "Obama" is the impersonator I've seen previously and mentioned in another post. He's excellent, imho! Great skit!

The real Joe Biden was a featured guest and helped kick off the show!

Comment

People on the street in NY interviewed, saying they are voting for Obama and then agreed with all of McCain's views, not even knowing they weren't Obama's views nor having any views of their own, or they really do agree with McCain's views but are voting for Obama.......unbelievable....short audio and very embarassing for the left.

http://www.bpmdeejays.com/upload/hs_...lem_100108.mp3
                            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              very embarassing for the left.
                              Hardly. I'd be far more embarrassed to be associated with supporters that have yelled out pleasantries like "terrorist", "arab", "kill him" at their rallies. Given the amount of hateful rubbish crowds on the right have spewed, this is nothing. And seeing as it was just a little three minute segment, who knows how many people had to be interviewed before getting the response they were looking for. Smells like a hatchet job to me.

And I'd bet my paycheck that if they did the reverse and took Obama's policies and juked them as McCain's to his supporters, their sentiments would be similar.

Comment

• It's not just nameless "kooks" in the crowd that are questioning Obama's patriotism. Minnesota congresswoman and McCain supporter Michele Bachmann is also doing the same, linking Barack and Michelle Obama with the anti-American viewpoints of Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright. But she didn't stop there. She also lumped in Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and every other liberal minded member of Congress as possibly being un-American and says that the media should investigate it. Wow! Does Bachmann know how much she's sounding like Sen. Joseph McCarthy? Is she aware of the disastrous results this witchhunt had on McCarthy's political career?

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/17/...anti-american/

When she calls Tony Rezko a leftist, you know that Rep. Bachmann knows not what she is talking about. Man, even conservative firebrand Jesse Helms never recklessly threw around kinds of charges against his colleagues in Congress. What was this lady thinking?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X