Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Steve Jobs Right?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Not only the tactility (which is huge, I agree), but everything ELSE about the experience of reading a book. Turning the cover to see what the inner flap looks like. Smelling either that new-book smell (heavenly!) or that hasn't-been-opened-in-years smell (not as heavenly, but a special experience itself). The sound a book makes when you toss it upon the couch. Reading is a sensual experience.
    totally. nothing better than getting a lovely new book, bringing it home, and cracking its virgin spine. british lit 1700-1800 especially does it for me.

that said, i'm totally lusting for kindle, ever since eric brought it to my attention. i miss reading as much as i used to, and lack of portability is part of the problem.

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    Here, here!
    Maxim is a drag in 256 shades of gray.
    i can't explain why, but while most women would smack you for that comment, i smile and am grateful i get to go home with you every day.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      totally. nothing better than getting a lovely new book, bringing it home, and cracking its virgin spine. british lit 1700-1800 especially does it for me.

that said, i'm totally lusting for kindle, ever since eric brought it to my attention. i miss reading as much as i used to, and lack of portability is part of the problem.

i can't explain why, but while most women would smack you for that comment, i smile and am grateful i get to go home with you every day.

I like fleshtones in shades of grey. It's more sensual. Color is too normal and leaves nothing to the imagination. Shades of grey lets you see those subtle contours of a three dimensional body photographed in 2D.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hand-held, electronic libraries will never make books obsolete. True, many of us old farts will be slow to warm up to them, but there's a place for both to thrive in this rushed society. I have a daughter that has many an electronic library now and she's still buying a lot of books from Amazon.com.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
        X