I almost forgot,.......my taxes!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I almost forgot,.......my taxes!!!!

Since moving to the Big Island I have lost track of a lot of my responsibilities, and one of them is filing my taxes. Well, I have about 15 days left and I wanna try something different this year. My 'Tax Man' of the past 10 years in on Oahu. So this year I wanna try something, or somebody else.
    There use to be several companies on Oahu that would prepare your taxes for free. Does anybody remember their names, or even know who I'm talking about? I'm trying to find them, or somebody like them on the Big Island. I wonder if "Taxbusters" was their name? That kinda rings a bell?

Plus, have any of you good folks ever used TurboTax or TaxCut software to do your taxes? If so, how was the experience you had with it? I'm not ruling out the idea of getting one of these softwares to do my taxes either..

Re: I almost forgot,.......my taxes!!!!

Theres places on Oahu that does your taxes fo free?

Usually if you got gooood connections or a reliable relative/friend that is 99% accurate in helping you out then yeah.

But going to anyone, place of business or on-line which is the thing now there is some kind of fee involved. Some companies offer special rates to employers if they go thru their tax provider or whatevers.

I myself try to go with whoevers that charges less and will get me back the most $$$ for my refund providing that I don't owe.

I have been doin mines with TURBOTAX and they are pretty good.

And you do have the option of paying the tax prep seperate or having it deducted out of your refund.

Comment

I've been using TurboTax for years. I haven't had any problems with it. It makes tax filing easy. I'd recommend it, unless your tax situation is complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
        I've been using TurboTax for years. I haven't had any problems with it. It makes tax filing easy. I'd recommend it, unless your tax situation is complicated.
        I'd like to try it. But what version should I use? I'm a family man. Claiming two kids, filing jointly with wife, and have your usual deductions etc,etc..

So basically you're saying it's pretty easy to use, even for computer dummies like myself?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
          Theres places on Oahu that does your taxes fo free?

Usually if you got gooood connections or a reliable relative/friend that is 99% accurate in helping you out then yeah.

But going to anyone, place of business or on-line which is the thing now there is some kind of fee involved. Some companies offer special rates to employers if they go thru their tax provider or whatevers.

I myself try to go with whoevers that charges less and will get me back the most $$$ for my refund providing that I don't owe.

I have been doin mines with TURBOTAX and they are pretty good.

And you do have the option of paying the tax prep seperate or having it deducted out of your refund.
          yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they are called "Taxbusters", and yes they do it for free. I believe they are in Kalihi near the DMV before if my memory serves me correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            I'd like to try it. But what version should I use? I'm a family man. Claiming two kids, filing jointly with wife, and have your usual deductions etc,etc..

So basically you're saying it's pretty easy to use, even for computer dummies like myself?
            It is fairly easy. It walks you thorugh the process. But it's especially easy if you use it every year, since it remembers your previous returns and fills in whatever information is pertinent [i.e. name, address, etc., as well as "this is what you did last year ... is this correct this year"] It then uses your Federal information to fill in the blank for your State Tax form, if you choose to do State Taxes with TurboTax.

Having said all that, it probably would be more prudent to do your first TurboTax return early, instead of as a last minute thing. In your case, maybe it would be best to do this next year.

I don't want to give you bum information ... especially with taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              It is fairly easy. It walks you thorugh the process. But it's especially easy if you use it every year, since it remembers your previous returns and fills in whatever information is pertinent [i.e. name, address, etc., as well as "this is what you did last year ... is this correct this year"] It then uses your Federal information to fill in the blank for your State Tax form, if you choose to do State Taxes with TurboTax.

Having said all that, it probably would be more prudent to do your first TurboTax return early, instead of as a last minute thing. In your case, maybe it would be best to do this next year.

I don't want to give you bum information ... especially with taxes.
              But if it walks you through the proccess! As the great Alfred E. Neuman use to say, "What me worry". I should be okay. I really should be okay, and like Intuit says, if you don't like the results...no pay!!!!

Is there a reason you picked 'TurboTax' over 'TaxCut'? If so could you explain to me the difference.....in brief of course!

Comment

I have used Turbo Tax for the last 4 years and e-filed too.

I LOVE it. I used to pay 75- 150.00 for a guy to do my taxes...now I pay 0 or 29.99.

I have business deductions, medical deductions, and a home. They catch it all.
                Takes me about 1 hour to put all the info in and I can print and access it next year too!

I am sold.

I did my sisters on the free turbo tax, my brothers on turbo tax, 2 of my friends and my step sister.

That is how much I like it! LOL
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I've used Turbotax for about 5 years too. And like Blue says, one of the best things about it is after the first year, you can import all your basic information into the next year's spreadsheets with no problems at all. I've generally used Turbotax Basic but this year I decided to spring for the Deluxe version because I had some "interesting" tax situations in 2006.

I'm glad I used this version because it asked me about every single possible tax deduction I might be able to take (with TT Basic you sometimes have to guess). Since we don't have a State income tax up here, it even flagged the deduction I can take for state sales tax, and also reminded me about the federal telephone excise tax rebate that I was entitled to.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    and also reminded me about the federal telephone excise tax rebate that I was entitled to.

Miulang
                    huh, what federal telephone income tax rebate?

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                      I have used Turbo Tax for the last 4 years and e-filed too.

I LOVE it. I used to pay 75- 150.00 for a guy to do my taxes...now I pay 0 or 29.99.

I have business deductions, medical deductions, and a home. They catch it all.
                      Takes me about 1 hour to put all the info in and I can print and access it next year too!

I am sold.

I did my sisters on the free turbo tax, my brothers on turbo tax, 2 of my friends and my step sister.

That is how much I like it! LOL
                      Have you had any problems with TurboTax at all over the years? If so what did you do to solve problem? I'm just worried about if I need help with TurboTax. I have heard their online support really isn't support at all! I'm reading about a lot of people pissed off for piss poor support from Intuit.
                      Last edited by Beachboy; April 3, 2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Have you had any problems with TurboTax at all over the years? If so what did you do to solve problem? I'm just worried about if I need help with TurboTax. I have heard their online support really isn't support at all! I'm reading about a lot of people pissed off for piss poor support from Intuit.
                        Well, to be quite honest, I simply have not had a problem.
                        I back everything up with paper copies.
                        I am careful about how I store my information.
                        I have never even had to call in. It's pretty self explanatory.

I have saved evey years paper copy and have never had my taxes questioned. I get my refund in 10 days in my bank account.
                        So I am not the one to ask about customer service.

Oh, the phone rebate, I got 60.00. Basically it is 60.00 for anyone who had a phone. For overtax I believe.
                        60 bucks is 60 bucks!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I used to go in person to H&R Block but the lady I use to see retired and the new one was going to start raising the price from $75 to full price which looked like it could be in the $200's. Did not like how the Tax Advisors can play with pricing. I heard Turbo Tax had an easier to use software. But, I decided to use TaxCut and for the last 2 years and no problems. Also if you get the best value; Federal + State + Efile it comes with one free Ask an Advisor Session just in case you need to speak to one.

The Federal part is more automated than the State. For the State I've had to manually compute my penalties for not withholding enough taxes. Though it did give the option of letting the Dept. of Taxation figure it out for you. Seems like the TaxCut software is not develped to automate all the calculations for the State.

The more involved you are, the better you'll be at reducing your future taxes and learning the minimums amounts to pay without incurring penalties and just paying the balance owed at tax season.

You'll never truly know how good any Tax advisor or software is until you get audited. I never did, so I don't know.

Comment

huh, what federal telephone income tax rebate?
                            This rebate.

Comment

Beachboy...if you end up finding a free (free? really?) or an inexpensive tax person, maybe also buy TurboTax and do it yourself. Then compare the 2. That might give you a better idea of what to do next year. Yep, a little more expensive this year but it should give you some good insight. Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                              X