The Third Presidential Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Third Presidential Debate

Knowing what was coming, I divided time between watching the debate and watching the NLCS and the Chicago-Detroit football game. Again, I thought Romney did well. But he is a pitch man. Reality does not conform with a pitch. His smug little smile, looking so patient and put upon, did grate on me. The picture of an arrogant elitist. To me, it looked like Romney won. Polls show a 47-47 split now, which means Romney wins. The vote suppression laws, you see. I only hope his incendiary intents against Iran have only been words. I do see him as a loose cannon, in way over his depth, thinking that the same slogan economics that produced the Bush disaster will work if just given another chance.

Yahoo ran a survey that showed that Hawai'i has the lowest per cent voter participation, 48.8 %. I don't understand that. Even as a kid growing up I wished I could vote, I have never missed an election since I turned 18, never wanted to, I enjoy voting, its one of the greatest things in the world. But thats just me.

Re: The Third Presidential Debate

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    His smug little smile, looking so patient and put upon, did grate on me.
    Politics aside, that smile grates on me, too. It reminds me of the sort of smile a kid puts on their face when being scolded by a parent, ending up with the parent admonishing, "wipe that da#n smile off your face!"

As for this debate, Romney seems more in control of himself being seated than he did during the previous debate where he was up and walking around. I think he needs to be in a controlled environment in order to seem .. less of a potential loose cannon.

Obama seemed to have had another lackluster performance, similar to the first debate.

Now I'm getting ready to watch the sure-to-be-entertaining final Lingle vs Hirono: US Senate debate (7pm tonight).

And then it is Hanabusa vs Djou: Congressional debate at 8pm.

I will need a beer for sure.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Another thing that irritates me about Romney, maybe it shouldn't, its the way he walks. Tight tiny little mincing steps, it seems weird, too controlled, anal retentive, not a normal comfortable stride. I don't see him as the kind of president who would go out and shoot some hoops with The People or sink some of those amazing free throws like Our President has done. Body surfing? Never! And it may be small and petty of me but I think having healthy physical outlets is important for everybody including presidents. Even Nixon bowled, Eisenhower golfed. Maybe Romney has some physically active hobbies. It doesn't seem to be walking.

One of his many mansions (the one with the car elevator) overlooks Windansea in La Jolla, where some of the first mainland surfers to migrate to Hawai'i prepared for the North Shore, like Butch Van Artsdalen. If he were to become president and was in residence at that mansion it is kind of humorous to contemplate the secret service even trying to shut it down, the way they did for Nixon at Cottons Point when he was in residence at San Clemente. I know an old surfer who was a Cottons Point local then, he has loads of stories about being run out by the secret service. But I can't see them getting a handle on the Windansea locals, they'd have to bring in the army, those guys are and always have been a bit over the edge. They might opt for the better part of valor and just let it ride.

Comment

Although I don't know if the debate will make that much of a difference in the election results, the polls seem to indicate that Obama won the debate http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,3214659.story Also, most of the pundits I've heard have said that Obama won the debate (even if it was grudgingly, "on points", by some of the Republican ones and countered quickly by the "but Romney passed the ability to look presidential threshold test"). In the end, I think it will come down to core values. Whatever the voters think they value the most.

Comment

So far as advancing his prospect of winning the election, Romney did great. He did a certain amount of obfuscating, lying, and contradicting himself, but he was trying to appeal to undecided voters, and they are not going to notice. That's why they're undecided -- they just don't pay much attention.
          Greg

Comment

"You said..."

"I never said that!"

Maybe monarchy and parliament was a better choice.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              And it may be small and petty of me but I think having healthy physical outlets is important for everybody including presidents. Even Nixon bowled, Eisenhower golfed. Maybe Romney has some physically active hobbies. It doesn't seem to be walking.
              I saw a picture of him earlier this summer riding on the back of a jetski his wife was driving. Hmmmmmmm, jetski. Why does that not surprise me?! Fits the image perfectly.

Remember, he "loves to fire people." I guess he gets his exercise by passing out pink slips!
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGGKEwINYQ

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...acking-romney/

This debate might have made her flip flop.

Comment

http://www.examiner.com/article/obam...with-dunce-cap

The only objection to this image is that it's not mean spirited enough. Nobody laughs at this type of humor unless it's mean because it's true.

Comment

Working...
                    X