Liliha bakery puffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liliha bakery puffs

Driving home the other day, I was coming up on Nuuanu, and I remembered eating Coco puffs from Liliha bakery long ago.
    It's been so long since I've had some Coco puffs from Liliha bakery, I just had to stop and get some.
    Stood in line for almost 10 minutes.
    Paid for my puffs.
    Kind of expensive, but haven't had them for so long, I just had to have some.
    Drove home ono-ing for the best puffs on island.
    Got home, got my plate and spoon, opened the box, and couldn't believe what I saw.
    Six tiny little balls with frosting on top.
    So small I could almost put a whole one in my mouth.
    WHAT HAPPENED??????
    When did they shrink to baby food portions?????
    Price was way more than I remembered, but the size is way, way smaller than I remembered.
    Was good, but I don't think I'll ever buy them again.
    Kind of a rip off.
    So sad.

Re: Liliha bakery puffs

I had some a month ago and they were the same size as always. Peter Kim (Yummy's, Lahaina Chicken) took over a year ago and prices have risen, but are still reasonable. They've added some menu items, but all the old things look the same.

Comment

Maybe the gave you the wrong pastry? Had some not too long ago and it still takes several mouthfuls to finish one off. I only eat them when someone else buys them. Personally, they're not that good that I'd go out of my way to buy them. Come to think of it, I won't stop by even if I'm driving right by the bakery.

Comment

Liliha Bakery's coco puffs were always small, so maybe you're thinking of the old cream puffs that were the size of maybe three or four coco puffs.

Comment

It was many years ago I ate some.
          I could have been mistaken.
          But I still think they were bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
            Liliha Bakery's coco puffs were always small, so maybe you're thinking of the old cream puffs that were the size of maybe three or four coco puffs.
            Are those the cream puffs sold in Foodland at Ala Moana Center?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Are those the cream puffs sold in Foodland at Ala Moana Center?
              If you're talking about the Beard Papa cream puffs, then there's no way to confuse any of that stuff with Liliha Bakery's coco puffs.

But yeah, the Beard Papa cream puffs are bigger than coco puffs. Always have been.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When you were a kid, your mouth was smaller, so the puffs seemed bigger than they do, now.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The bigger puffs may be the Chantilly Puffs from Napoleon's Bakery (Zippy's). They're the so-called "regular-sized" cream puffs with the Chantilly frosting on top. As far as I can remember, the coco-puffs have always been small.

Comment

Never cared for those coco puffs. I don't know what's so great about Papa Beard's either. Maui's Komoda Bakery cream puffs are better.

I know it's just me. I prefer cream filled malassadas.

Comment

I thought chocolate on a cream puff is called an eclair. There's no such thing as bad pizza, and there's no bad cream puff.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        ... and there's no bad cream puff.
                        i agree. I like em all. I actually prefer to pop the whole thing in my mouth.

The zippys ones have a harder 'shell' or 'pastry' around them (to comment on the above post) which isnt as flavorful (IMO).
                        n'importe

Comment

For your convenience, here's some visual references from my blog...

Liliha Bakery (pre-Kim era) Coco Puffs on the left, Cream Puffs on the right

Liliha Bakery (pre-Kim era) Coco Puff cut-away view

Liliha Bakery (pre-Kim era) Cream Puff cut-away view

These photos were taken in May 2007, which was about a year before Liliha Bakery was taken over by Peter Kim (of Yummy's Korean BBQ fame).

As you might be able to tell, each one is about the size of a Racquetball, which measures 2¼" diameter.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Damn you, Pomai.

pax

Comment

Ditto. Now can you show me a cut-away view of my BMW 3.5L inline six engine that suffered a timing chain fall off the sprocket problem, so I can fix it?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X