Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must not be any Hawai`i residents at Monster

Survey shows what not to wear to work

Results were released this week by Monster, whose parent company is Monster Worldwide Inc.

Flip-flop sandals weighed in next on the list of fashion mistakes, followed by Hawaiian prints and shorts, it said.
    Lucky you live Hawai`i?

Re: Must not be any Hawai`i residents at Monster

I am the embodiment of "fashion mistake."

Comment

To a lot of Mainlanders, those el cheapo muumuus and aloha shirts they sell at the swap meet are as good as it gets. I'm thinking that that's what them folks at Monster.com were thinking.

You ask them about Tori Richard, Sig Zane, Manuheali'i, Mamo Howell, etc. etc. and they they don't know what you're talking about.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        Tori Richard, Sig Zane, Manuheali'i, Mamo Howell, etc. etc.
        Yeah, that's right and the quality aloha wear is "in" anywhere!

P.S. Love your avatar Lei Liko!
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Wow, this thread brings back a memory I had thought I forgot about!

Many years ago, a bit after I just left Hawaii to live here in the states, MIL best friend wanted me to get two aloha shirts sent up from Hawaii for her two sons. I had my mom send up some really beautiful ones....they were cotton type with the reverse print and not cheap! Anyways, MIL friend wasn't happy claiming they "weren't aloha shirts!" So I ended up sending them back to mom and she sent two more in exchange. MIL friend was finally happy....with two gawdy, bright red, flowery, 100% polyester shirts!
          Lovena

Comment

If slippers give you away coming down the hall because of the noise they make, then please explain to me why it's okay to have Click-Clack whore pumps on a tile or hardwood floor.

That article makes no sense whatsoever.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              If slippers give you away coming down the hall because of the noise they make, then please explain to me why it's okay to have Click-Clack whore pumps on a tile or hardwood floor.

That article makes no sense whatsoever.
              Won't argue about either slippers or pumps/hard sole men's dress shoes letting people know in advance of your approach. But I would say former is unacceptable vs the latter because of the presentation factor. Work is work and a little presentation is always needed. The article overall makes sense. Just that one quote regarding hearing slippers seems out of touch, though I think the person quoted is probably referring to the inappropriate image one already conjures up when hearing someone in the office approaching with slippers, probably wearing tank tops, T-shirt, shorts, etc.

Comment

True story...

Our department used to have what we called "Tie Fridays". On a day that everyone was allowed to wear blue jeans, t-shirt and sneakers, we'd come in pimped out with long sleeve dress shirt and tie, slacks and leather dress shoes. Sometimes even a jacket.

Stood out from the guy in Accounting wearing the Town and Country surf t-shirt like a sore thumb.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Judging the book by the cover is how an "educated" person perveives life in general.

Image or Substance. Hmmmm......think I will choose substance.

Perhaps I'm just not educated enough to understand.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    Judging the book by the cover is how an "educated" person perveives life in general.

Image or Substance. Hmmmm......think I will choose substance.

Perhaps I'm just not educated enough to understand.
                    So you don't believe in any dress code for work I take it.

Comment

When you're in IT and you have to climb under and around tables and other obstacles, you don't want to wear business casual clothes or dress to the nines. For a long time, our management let us wear jeans, etc. every day. The only things that were verboten were shorts and revealing tops for women (kilts and Birkenstocks were OK for men, though). Then our CEO started getting complaints about how unprofessional some staff looked who dealt with external customers and the edict came down that no one could wear jeans or any denim except on special days where if you contributed $5 to the United Way, you had the "privilege" of wearing jeans.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're comfortable in your clothes and you're doing your job, it really shouldn't matter how you dress. But using your head and knowing when to dress in business casual (like if you're meeting with your banker, for instance) is always prudent, because sometimes first appearances DO count. For instance, would you trust a nurse who dressed in scrubs or a nursing uniform more than one who wore jeans and a t-shirt?

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; April 28, 2007, 01:48 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        (kilts and Birkenstocks were OK for men, though).
                        Maybe it was okay by the rules, but morally and ethically, heck NO!

if you contributed $5 to the United Way, you had the "privilege" of wearing jeans.
                        Ooh, I like that idea! A cool way to resolve the 'problem' and benefit a charity at the same time. Did it work well?

Using your head and knowing when to dress in business casual (like if you're meeting with your banker, for instance) is always prudent, because sometimes first appearances DO count.
                        Indeed. I had a boss one time who said he wished he could dress like me, with Aloha shirt, shorts and slippahs (or barefoot, usually). But I had him look behind my office door, where I kept the dressier 'business attire'. I only had to use it once or twice a week, but it was there when I needed it. Two minutes to change clothes, and Presto! correct attire.
                        (Even if someone dropped in unexpectedly for a meeting, I'd tell my secretary to keep them busy for two minutes and changed clothes. I mean, I did, not my secretary.)
                        The boss loved the idea and started doing it the next day.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X