Have TV for parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have TV for parts

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma 720p TV. It partially functioning. Can't use the remote control and it powers off after about 1 hour. Turns out the IR sensor and the power supply are malfunctioning. Everything else works fine. The screen is beautiful. The TV repair guys said it would cost up to $500 (parts and labor) to fix. Personally, I'd rather put that money towards a new TV.

Anyone know of a place that buys old TVs? Anyone interested in taking this TV off my hands for a small chunk of change?

Aloha!

Re: Have TV for parts

In many cases, the source of monitor problems originate with capacitors that have failed.
    The electrolytic caps are tubular and when they fail the top of the cap bulges upwards.
    Replacing them is a journey unto itself

Comment

Thanks, after further investigation it seems like it's only the remote sensor on the TV that is broken. The power supply is fine. The repair guy can fix it for $200. Not sure I want to repair it or buy a new one. Man, I hate this disposable economy.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
        Thanks, after further investigation it seems like it's only the remote sensor on the TV that is broken. The power supply is fine. The repair guy can fix it for $200. Not sure I want to repair it or buy a new one. Man, I hate this disposable economy.
        I purchased a Panasonic TC-P50S30 (50" Plasma/1080P) for $599 locally. This was a 2011 model and it was that price a few times the past 8 months ago.

I have seen a 2012 Panasonic 50" 3D plasma for as low as $799. I hoping this will also drop to $599 in the future.

Comment

I was almost on my way to buy a new TV for $500 but realized that it's super easy to replace parts on TVs, even a cave man could do it. I replaced the two broken parts myself. Bought them on eBay for a total of $160.

Comment

Working...
          X