Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

My, my.
    When Safeway imposed itself on the Windward community, we all swore impotent oaths that we would support local venues rather than 'knuckling under' to mainland demagogues.

Now, 10 years later, we utilize Safeway often. Things change.
    We utilize that which is financially helpful. Foodland's prices on most everything were over the top, excessive, and unnecessary. I'd rather shop Times, than Foodland, due to price.

Safeway gives us good prices. Times also has prices on certain items that beat anyone. Longs (now CVS) also has good prices.

We will shop where we can afford!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm with you, Kaonohi. I almost always shop at Safeway here in Kaneohe.
      As for Hawaii Kai, there's a Safeway just a block away from where Foodland is. Costco is right in between the two.
      The best part about shopping at the Safeway in Hawaii Kai is that you can walk next door and have lunch at The Shack!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I mostly shop at Safeway in addition to the KCC farmer's market. I notice that on holidays the picket line is not there and they pretty much keep the hours of 10-2 or 3 everyday. This in Kailua and Kaneohe. I always wonder why they
        are still there at this point. I am not familiar with lots of construction practices, unions but surely aren't there other places they could find whatever work it is they do? I'd be irritated if I was married to one of them just standing around all day propped up on a yellow banner holding an umbrella. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          I mostly shop at Safeway in addition to the KCC farmer's market. I notice that on holidays the picket line is not there and they pretty much keep the hours of 10-2 or 3 everyday. This in Kailua and Kaneohe. I always wonder why they
          are still there at this point. I am not familiar with lots of construction practices, unions but surely aren't there other places they could find whatever work it is they do? I'd be irritated if I was married to one of them just standing around all day propped up on a yellow banner holding an umbrella. Just my opinion.
          Oh no. The people standing behind that "Auwe!" sign are NOT union carpenters. At least, that's the case with the folks standing in front of the Walgreen's in Kalihi. They look like old retirees from the Philippines who have nothing much else to do. I'm sure they're getting paid a fee by the union for standing out there for X number of hours.

As for the unionized carpenters,.... there's no way any of them would waste their time protesting Walgreen's. Whatever those picketers get, I guarantee you that they're not getting paid anywhere close to $30 an hour, or whatever journeymen workers get these days.

And that, to me, is the reason why the general public has been indifferent to the Walgreen picketers. Those folks aren't union members, standing out there on principle. They're just old immigrants picked up from the street, looking to earn easy money. The union is just trying to embarass Walgreen's. Plain and simple. To me, those pickets are a waste of union funds. But if they want to continue this exercise in futility indefinitely, that's up to them.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well in Kaneohe & Kailua they are all young guys, 20's, 30's, 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
              Well in Kaneohe & Kailua they are all young guys, 20's, 30's, 40's.
              I'll confirm that. And they sure look like union carpenters.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                And they sure look like union carpenters.
                I'd be curious as to that description - especially how you can tell the "union" part visually.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  I'd be curious as to that description - especially how you can tell the "union" part visually.
                  Visually, they're holding signs implying that they're union carpenters. Plus their physical builds and attire make it pretty clear they're not 'street people' or bankers, whatever.
                  And orally, because when you pull into Walgreen's parking lot they sometimes yell at the cars that we should be supporting union carpenters.
                  I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that. But thanks for asking.

Comment

Visually, they're holding signs implying that they're union carpenters. Plus their physical builds and attire make it pretty clear they're not 'street people' or bankers, whatever.
                    And orally, because when you pull into Walgreen's parking lot they sometimes yell at the cars that we should be supporting union carpenters.
                    I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that. But thanks for asking.
                    Very nice reply - you're right I've seen them yell at cars especially if they are in the Rx drive through lanes.

Comment

I strongly doubt that the aforementinoed 'street people' would do that.
                      Unless, of course, they are being paid to do so...

Comment

Well, lo and behold. I stop by the Walgreen's in Kalihi earlier today. And yes, the tatas (who are usually standing around reading books) and nanas (with manicured hands that have never touched touched a hammer) have been replaced by 4 men who actually look the part. I'm guessing one of two things are happening here.

1) The brilliant minds at the carpenter's union have come to the belated realization that nobody had fallen for their ruse. (Ya think??? Duh!!!)

2) Construction industry is slow. So rather than sit around home doing nothing, out-of-work union members have decided to go to the pickets.

Union members yelling at the customers? Nah, I didn't see any of that. But then again, this is Kalihi we're talking about. They're probably smart enough to know better than to antogonize the folks in that area. You never know when someone has a lot of "friends" who live in the housing projects nearby.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Well, lo and behold. I stop by the Walgreen's in Kalihi earlier today. And yes, the tatas (who are usually standing around reading books) and nanas (with manicured hands that have never touched touched a hammer) have been replaced by 4 men who actually look the part. I'm guessing one of two things are happening here.

1) The brilliant minds at the carpenter's union have come to the belated realization that nobody had fallen for their ruse. (Ya think??? Duh!!!)

2) Construction industry is slow. So rather than sit around home doing nothing, out-of-work union members have decided to go to the pickets.

Union members yelling at the customers? Nah, I didn't see any of that. But then again, this is Kalihi we're talking about. They're probably smart enough to know better than to antogonize the folks in that area. You never know when someone has a lot of "friends" who live in the housing projects nearby.

If you are referring to the Walgreen.s across from Kapalama School I have never seen "tata's and nana's" behind those banners. I have always seen what look like carpenter union members. I live about three blocks away so I pass there almost daily.

I was born and raised in this area and still live here and Kalihi isn't what you make it seem.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                            If you are referring to the Walgreen.s across from Kapalama School I have never seen "tata's and nana's" behind those banners. I have always seen what look like carpenter union members. I live about three blocks away so I pass there almost daily.
                            I grew up in the area, too. Heck, I attended Kapalama School. And I live about a 5 minute drive away. So I completely stand by what I said earlier.

I was born and raised in this area and still live here and Kalihi isn't what you make it seem.
                            I've never seen any of the picketers (whether it be the "ringers" or today's real-looking McCoys) ever call out to any of the customers going into and out of the Kalihi Walgreen's. The picketers just stand by at the banner and quietly talk amongst themselves or read their books, etc. And I say this, not as someone who merely drives past there, but as a customer who shops at Walgreen's once or twice a week.

Now maybe I'm totally off-base as to why the picketers at that particular location seem to mind their own business and not say anything to the customers walking around inside the parking lot. But the fact remains. About a one mile radius on either side of School Street is a housing project. (Lanakila and KPT.)

That, or maybe because the Carpenter's union hall is only a stone's throw away, and those guys don't want their cars or trucks to be vandalized. (Quite a number of the union members park right on Houghtailing St.)

Comment

Well FM if you're only 5 minutes away we may just be in the same neighborhood, I live two blocks above Helena's, born and raised there. I went to Lanakila School because the boundary was Aupuni St. back then, graduated FHS '65 and still feel that Kalihi isn't what it used to be, as far as being a bad area is concerned.

Comment

Well FM if you're only 5 minutes away we may just be in the same neighborhood, I live two blocks above Helena's, born and raised there. I went to Lanakila School because the boundary was Aupuni St. back then, graduated FHS '65 and still feel that Kalihi isn't what it used to be, as far as being a bad area is concerned.
                                Then you went to FHS a little before I did. I can't make a comparison between what is was like 45 years ago and now. All I know is that there still are incidents that happen at the housing projects. Otherwise, you wouldn't have had a curfew like KVH did about a year ago. You wouldn't have had Oceanic Cable threatening to cut service at KPT because of their employees being harrassed over there. And needless to say, flare-ups and violence still occur from time-to-time between rival gangs at KPT, KVH, and Mayor Wright.

As far as the Walgreen picketers go,.... maybe my habit of stereotyping influenced my observations. It wouldn't be the first time. But I wasn't being faceticious when I talked about earlier picketers reading books and having what looked by manicures. It's easy enough to see the picketers close-up if one parks on the outer row of stalls on the corner of School and Makuahine.

One thing that I thought was a little peculiar from yesterday's picketers, now that I think about it. Those four guys all wore those bright yellow safety shirts that you often see workers use, whether it be on a construction site or on the road. I just thought that was a little strange, given that I stopped by Walgreen's at about 1 pm, so this was in the middle of the day and it's not likely they came from a job site. It's almost as if they are wearing those work shirts as if to emphasize to passer-bys now, "Hey everybody!!! We're carpenters. For real!!!" Now, for sure, earlier picketers weren't wearing the shirts.

Comment

Working...
                                X