No announcement yet.

It's a gas... price increase, that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's a gas... price increase, that is.

Industry analysts are predicting $4/gallon gasoline in some parts of the country (HI included) by this summer. The next step will come gas rationing if demand continues to outstrip supply.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'll be visiting Maui - both Kahului and Hana so I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled while I'm there....Taro Festival is happening in Hana, at the Hana Ballfield, this weekend....come on over!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
        I'll be visiting Maui - both Kahului and Hana so I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled while I'm there....Taro Festival is happening in Hana, at the Hana Ballfield, this weekend....come on over!
        Hope they don't get rained out this year.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Industry analysts are predicting $4/gallon gasoline in some parts of the country (HI included) by this summer. The next step will come gas rationing if demand continues to outstrip supply.
          The only real surprise to me is that it took this long. What with all the hurricanes tearing up refineries, more gas guzzlers on the roads than ever, and many analysts figuring we've now passed the peak oil point. Like global warming, that last factor isn't one most people are going to feel for quite a while, but its effects will be more and more pronounced over time. Only way we can mitigate it is to get off our gas kick -- other fuel sources and more conservation. There's quite a bit of slack in the supply if people would quit consuming it like there's no tomorrow, so I have some hope at least that it won't cause a complete catastrophe. I feel bad for all the people who have been pushed into a situation where they have little choice though. Low gas consumption is often a luxury ability these days with our sprawling cities.

Comment

Washington State is over $3.00 at Costco and has been for ever it seems. I think it was $3.17 last time we went, but since my husband 'gets' to do the gassing up I am not 100% sure.

We don't gas up all that often since we live very close to work, daycare, the park and grocery store. If the weather here was better we could do more walking and bike riding to and from places.
            Looking for an old friend Nathan Bellinger, appreciate any help.

Comment

Miulang
              Uh...I didn't see gas rationing in the article? I hope not, I rather see the next step as $5 a gallon, then $6, etc. I choose to drive a frugal car, don't penalize my mobility with rationing.

Comment

I just filled up yesterday afternoon at Aina Haina 76 @ $3.09 regular unleaded/gallon. There went today's lunch money.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                  The only real surprise to me is that it took this long. What with all the hurricanes tearing up refineries, more gas guzzlers on the roads than ever, and many analysts figuring we've now passed the peak oil point. Like global warming, that last factor isn't one most people are going to feel for quite a while, but its effects will be more and more pronounced over time. Only way we can mitigate it is to get off our gas kick -- other fuel sources and more conservation. There's quite a bit of slack in the supply if people would quit consuming it like there's no tomorrow, so I have some hope at least that it won't cause a complete catastrophe. I feel bad for all the people who have been pushed into a situation where they have little choice though. Low gas consumption is often a luxury ability these days with our sprawling cities.
                  There's another factor in the equation...we haven't built any refineries since the 1970s, in part due to the environmentalists and their NIMBY attitudes and also the petroleum industy's penchant for wanting to maximize their profits by limiting the supply of refined petroleum products. Also, there is no national standard for gasoline formulation. I heard that the few refineries that are operational need to shut down and reconfigure/flush their systems for each of the 18+ grades of fuel that we demand in this country. One way to keep supplies more constant (and probably stabilize prices too) is to reduce the number of types of fuel that have to be manufactured. Maybe use the California standards nationwide, since they are the most stringent. Every time a plant gets taken offline for maintenance, that's also when the retail price of gasoline increases. State and federal taxes also contribute a big chunk to the price of a gallon of gas.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; April 27, 2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I filled up at a Tesoro on Wednesday - it was $2.97, this morning it was $3.03...wow!

Comment

Kaneohe Shell is up to $3.12 as of today. Mahalo still a nickel cheaper.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There's another factor in the equation...we haven't built any refineries since the 1970s, in part due to the environmentalists and their NIMBY attitudes and also the petroleum industy's penchant for wanting to maximize their profits by limiting the supply of refined petroleum products.
                        Maybe it's the tin-foil-hatter in me, but I just don't buy the NIMBY argument about the refineries. Obviously with oil less than $70 a barrel, it's not the supply limit that's causing troubles right now, so the problem must be in the refining or transportation part of the equation (if there is a problem, and not just price collusion). With the oil companies making in the billions of dollars of profit each year, I can't believe that in the last 30 years they couldn't afford to find themselves a nice piece of land out in the middle of nowhere and build a few extra refineries. Gonna add some costs to their operations to have to truck the crude oil up there, and truck the gasoline out, but they could be making that much more money off the improved volume.

(Not that I want them to build it in my back yard.. *cough* )

Unless they're just happy with their billions of profits as-is, and want to coast on down through the oil shortages that will undoubtedly happen in the next few decades. Heard that theory once too.

Comment

Related to my comment about how taxes (state and fed) also have a major impact on how much you pay for a gallon of gas, this table (from 2002) gives you a comparison of taxes between the states.

Hawai'i consumers paid almost 54 cents/gallon in taxes for their gas. What did the tax revenues buy?

Miulang

Comment

Maybe use the California standards nationwide, since they are the most stringent. Every time a plant gets taken offline for maintenance, that's also when the retail price of gasoline increases. State and federal taxes also contribute a big chunk to the price of a gallon of gas.
                            Good luck on getting other states to agree to that. Gas is cheaper in other states because of the less stringent standards. I know you can find 85 octane in Colorado, though that might be attributed to higher elevation. But it shows you the diversity of fuel grades in ONE country.

Comment

Come on down to the Hana Taro festival. Plenty good food containing the staple TARO. If you cannot make it Saturday, then come on down Sunday for the taro breakfast......E KO MO MAI!!!!!!!!
                              OGGBOY
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

*checks honolulugasprices.com* *jaw drops*

I seen Tesoro @ 3.09 tonight, but the highest on the website was $3.25.

(and that's the website where I check in my area, but I usually go to either Aloha or Tesoro since it makes my car run good)
                                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                                X