Merrie Monarch 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2007

Aww man, wish I could be there this year. Maybe next year! It'll be the internet stream for us.

Comment

everyone watching?
      You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
        everyone watching?
        You betcha! Well, I'm a little late!

Comment

Caught the first 5 (kahiko) contestants of last night's Miss Aloha Hula competition. Bummers that Johnny Lum Ho (Halau Ka Ua Kani Lehua) is out this year.

Just learned from mom last night that my (late) dad played a part in founding the Merrie Monarch. While dad was Chief of Economic Development for the City & County of Hilo under then-mayor Shun Kimura, the two of them thought up and started the Merrie Monarch Festival.

In the beginning, the Merrie Monarch Festival wasn't a Hula event, but simply a county fair (like the 50th State Fair), held at Mo'oheau Park, with community booths and carnival attractions, intended to promote local business and bring more attraction and excitement to Hilo town.

George Na'ope and Dottie Thompson, who worked for the C&C of Hilo's recreations department, came in later and began the transformation of the Merrie Monarch Festival into a Hula event.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Aloha to HT from Waiakea Uka!

Divine intervention worked again this year as I find myself updating from my friend's couch.

After the kahiko portion of the Miss Aloha Hula competition, I knew that it was a free for all. I didn't see a contestant I didn't like, and although I had two favorites (both of whom placed) -- I really think that it was Keonilei's kahiko that blew everyone out of the water.

When the list of contestants was announced, I saw right away that Kaleo Trinidad and Snowbird Bento decided not to run a Miss Aloha Hula contestant. Totally forgot that Aureana (Hula Halau o Kamuela) is Tatiana's (Ka Leo O Laka I Ka Hikina O Ka La) youngest sister. Awesome to see respect between the different halau.

Upon reading the program, I saw that Mapuana DeSilva's girl's mele auana was "Na Pua Lei Ilima". I hoped that Jerry Santos was performing it. It's just not the same otherwise. Sure enough, I got my wish. Brought back lots of memories and that song always always gives me chicken skin.

Aureana's "Mai Italia Kou Lei Nani" was also a favorite and she was so perfect. When I saw her walk up to the stage, I couldn't help but think "OMG! IMELDA!!!" but her costume was definitely in keeping with her Queen Kapiolani theme. Always a treat to hear Lopaka Kanakaole sing.

TimKona, wish I was going to Kahiko tonight but I have something else to go to. I know I'm missing the best part, but you guys have fun for me. From what I remember from the night at La Mariana, your daughter's an absolute darling. Have fun tonight!

Busy day today! Thank goodness it's payday. Sig Zane, here I come!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just a correction to the competing halau's information first posted -- they have
              "Na Hula 'O Kaohikukapulani" as being from O'ahu -- Aunty Kapu and her halau are from right here on beautiful Kaua'i!

All I can say is "Thank God for TIVO!" -- I'm watching last night's competition as I type this!

And yes, the shirts are ugly, but I still had my friend buy me a tank and a bag! What can I say?

Comment

Kahiko's on as I type! (Arguably) the best night of the competition, IMO.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Good to see lots of young halau tonight. Anyone waiting to hear Mark Kealii Ho`omalu chant?

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
                    Good to see lots of young halau tonight. Anyone waiting to hear Mark Kealii Ho`omalu chant?
                    His halau is up next. Can't wait. He always blows me away...in spite of his 'reputation'.

Comment

DAYAM!
                      Ho`omalu rocks my soul!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        DAYAM!
                        Ho`omalu rocks my soul!
                        I loved it!
                        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          [...]TimKona, wish I was going to Kahiko tonight but I have something else to go to. I know I'm missing the best part, but you guys have fun for me. From what I remember from the night at La Mariana, your daughter's an absolute darling. Have fun tonight![...]
                          Tim...please post your daughter's reaction! IIRC, she's 5 so she'll have a different take on it than the ol' folks. I gave my 8 yr. old nephew (the special needs little guy) a dvd of last years keiki hula contest. He's mesmerized by it.

Comment

I just drove by and it's a friggin madhouse down there tonight.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Been watching from here. The video stream is awesome, but I bet it's twice as good in person. The Ho`omalu performance was fantastic. It's been one great performance after another, though with the second half probably scheduled to start at midnight for me, I probably don't have the energy to watch it all

It's been pretty funny to watch the "unofficial" feed though -- if you left it running when they took a break for news a while ago, the camera was still rolling and feeding to the internet as they coached a girl for an interview and chatted

Comment

Are you ready for the second half of Kahiko night? Anyone planning on staying up really late to watch until the end?

Comment

Working...
                                X