Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

As for your question, I think it is typo or at least a poorly written sentence.
    I know for a fact FEMA has been here, at least to inspect Kawaihae Harbor.
    If FEMA is indeed on Oahu, the only reason is because they don't have a permanent office here on the Big island.

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5033

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is providing additional assistance for individuals, households and businesses on the Big Island that were affected by the Oct. 15 earthquake, Gov. Linda Lingle announced today.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      As for your question, I think it is typo or at least a poorly written sentence.
      I know for a fact FEMA has been here, at least to inspect Kawaihae Harbor.
      If FEMA is indeed on Oahu, the only reason is because they don't have a permanent office here on the Big island.

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5033

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is providing additional assistance for individuals, households and businesses on the Big Island that were affected by the Oct. 15 earthquake, Gov. Linda Lingle announced today.
      Thanks for a Kona point of view...

from the Advertisers page...It seems they are helping oahu residents at disaster relief centers here on Oahu.
      FEMA crews are on hand on O'ahu to staff disaster relief centers assuming the president signs the expanded disaster declaration, civil defense officials said.
      http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...073826149.html

So did you see the "100" of them that was reportedly leaving on the airplane even after they knew that Hawaii was not in "need?"

Just curious... I mean was it just a few people... or did FEMA honestly make a presence? I'm not there so maybe other residents from Kona can chime in here.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        Thanks for a Kona point of view...

from the Advertisers page...It seems they are helping oahu residents at disaster relief centers here on Oahu.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...073826149.html

So did you see the "100" of them that was reportedly leaving on the airplane even after they knew that Hawaii was not in "need?"

Just curious... I mean was it just a few people... or did FEMA honestly make a presence? I'm not there so maybe other residents from Kona can chime in here.

Thats the aspect I question about the article. If I interpreted the article
        correctly, Since FEMA does not have a office/staging area on the Big Island ,
        it is based on Oahu where their office is. It doesn't mean that they have
        a rescue shelter on Oahu.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          Some neighborhoods get their water from big water storage tanks up above them in the hills. Water gets pumped from the wells to the storage tanks, and then the water flows down to homes by gravity. This works even when the power's off -- until the tank runs dry because there's no new water coming in to replenish it.

Edit: Scooped by the Linkmeister!
          Sidetracking here, but do you think it's possible to install windmills at certain points to pump water instead of using electric pumps? Would seem like a smart thing to do, imagine if the power outtage was days.

Comment

I imagine you mean to use windmills to power generators to supply electricity to charge batteries that run inverters to operate pumps right?

Because if you use the wind like the Dutch to directly pump water you may have a problem if there's no wind. Plus there's always that NIMBY attitude out there.

Maybe a combination of wind, solar, and hydro electric. Yes Hydro electric. When the water's flowing downhill, paddlewheels spin in the water current to turn generators to charge batteries that can be used to run pumps when the flow of water stops. Makes more sense and can be hidden in the pump house instead of these massive windmills and gleaming solar panels that will obviously blind some rare bird species and cause it's extinction
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

In this case, I was actually thinking more of the direct windmill to pump concept and skip the whole electricity deal. I don't know how Oahu's water supply system is set up but based on the previous statement that water is pumped into holding tanks, I don't see anything wrong with an unpredictable wind. The tanks don't just empty out as soon as the wind stops blowing.

Yeah, NIMBY tends to kill everything off, even good ideas. I understand if you have a bank of windmills pearched on top a hill side but I really don't think you need more than one or two windmill for holding tanks. It could almost be picturesque like in Holland.

Comment

yeah could make for a very scenic view however the Outdoor circle and others would probably say that view ain't so scenic
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  Sidetracking here, but do you think it's possible to install windmills at certain points to pump water instead of using electric pumps? Would seem like a smart thing to do, imagine if the power outtage was days.
                  Well, first problem is that you need the pumps lower down. Pumps work a lot better pushing water up then pulling water up.

The second issue is when is this likely to occur? The only way I see the power being out for days is after a hurricane. Would the windmills survive a hurricane? Would the winds be "normal" enough right after one to be effective? In a post disaster, it's likely we'd get FEMA to put some generators up.

Personally, I think in terms of cost/benefit, it's better off to just try and use them to make electricity and leave it at that.

Comment

There's a good overview of how Hawaii's various media outlets covered the quake. KITV and KSSK were up in 45 minutes. Most others struggled to get the word out. As the lede mentions, 'twas a mix of planning and being prepared and "pure, dumb luck."

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Well, first problem is that you need the pumps lower down. Pumps work a lot better pushing water up then pulling water up.

The second issue is when is this likely to occur? The only way I see the power being out for days is after a hurricane. Would the windmills survive a hurricane? Would the winds be "normal" enough right after one to be effective? In a post disaster, it's likely we'd get FEMA to put some generators up.

Personally, I think in terms of cost/benefit, it's better off to just try and use them to make electricity and leave it at that.
                      That's not a problem, just put the windmill farther and lower away, wherever the current pumps are.

Well, you never know right? Say another bad earthquake? Maybe this time with a tsunami? I've noticed most of Oahu's power plants lie right along the coast. As for hurricanes, yes, the windmill could potentially be damaged but then again, most windmills today are designed with mechanisms to protect themselves under strong wind conditions. I wouldn't trust FEMA after seeing how they handled New Orleans. It would be awesome if they arrive with generators, food, water, medical care right after a disaster but I wouldn't want to just count on them.

Yes, there's the cost/benefit analysis that needs to be looked at. A simple solution would be to just have backup generators much like pzarquon's link to how some places ran business on that day. But somehow, I see that as a more expensive proposition since now you have to maintain the backups so they will actually run when needed. A windmill can be used for normal and post disaster operations and save the Water Board on electricity costs. But without knowing how the water distribution works, I'm just shooting the breeze here.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        It would be awesome if they arrive with generators, food, water, medical care right after a disaster but I wouldn't want to just count on them.
                        Something I hope somebody is thinking about: what if the runways at the airport are all too damaged to accept airplanes? Presumably Barbers Point is the fallback, but those are also on the South shore, so...

I think we might be all alone out here for a while if there was a cataclysmic hurricane/quake.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well in West Hawaii, we really bit the bullet in regards to Kawaihae Harbor.
                          60% of all our containers coming to the Big Island go through Kawaihae.
                          If Kawaihae was completely shut down for any length of time,everything would
                          have to go through Hilo.

That being said, only 25% of Kawaihae Harbor is operating right now. Matson
                          and Young Brothers is sharing Pier 2B. Pier 2A may be up and running in a few
                          weeks. But Pier 1 will likely have to be re-built.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Sometimes "old" technology shouldn't be totally discarded, as in the case of telephones. Many people discovered after the earthquakes that their cordless phones and cell phones didn't work. If you still have landline service, it would be handy to just have a plain old analog phone available to plug into the wall during power outages and other emergencies. Hawaiian Tel is selling analog phones (they're taking orders right now because they've sold out their original stock). Or, you can buy them from mailorder retailers, like Ahern for $19.95+ shipping.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              [...]If you still have landline service, it would be handy to just have a plain old analog phone available to plug into the wall during power outages and other emergencies.[...]
                              Hawaiian Telcom got a commercial on the air soon after the quake extolling the virtues of keeping Telcom land line service. I was glad I had my cheapo (9.95) analog phone from OfficeMax! That was my contact with the outside world that Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X