Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forums dying

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've noticed many social forums have closed down recently.

Are they becoming a thing of the past????
    I refuse to join any dumb phone social media.
    Don't even have a dumb phone.

To me, it they just makes people dumb.

Lack of post, and replies, here are really sparse.
    I certainly am willing to be a more active member here since I am not a member on Facebook (I never was on that) and I do not use my phone unless I send or receive a phone call. I am not someone who walks around staring at his left hand waiting for a message or something new to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalHawaiian View Post
      I certainly am willing to be a more active member here since I am not a member on Facebook (I never was on that) and I do not use my phone unless I send or receive a phone call. I am not someone who walks around staring at his left hand waiting for a message or something new to look at.
      AMEN to that!

Too many iPhone Zombies.

Comment

I saw a Hawaii Threads post show up in a google search, "hey", I thought, "I used to post there". So, amazingly I remembered my password and here I am, checking in.

Yes, like many others online, I've moved to FB groups (closed groups with very active admins to keep the nastiness away from those groups). There is a Genealogy group, and some ukulele groups that share songs and info, to which I post.

I don't see much of the rapid-response in forum sites that compare to FB's "quick response time". To me, that is one of the reasons that FB works well,,,,,,, ask a question and usually within minutes there are many responses.

Anyway, thanks for the spot here to drop in and say hi.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

July 2020
          what is,going on with this thread ?? oh my gosh? ? IS this H.T. really fading out &/or what has happened to this H.T. ?. last I see is 2019 :-( .
          Aches & Pains
          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Serenity, click the 'What's New' button in the top left of every page to see the most recent posts across HawaiiThreads.com. There are still a few posts a week, albeit by very few people. As this individual thread has demonstrated, the golden age of messages boards are long behind us. The only thing that would possibly bring it back is the end of platforms like Facebook, which seems unlikely (but more likely today than a year ago!).

Comment

The new posters have been one thread wonders. They start a new thread topic. And then, they just disappear.

Comment

i come back for the memories...i wished the forum still continues !

Comment

Even as more people rely on social media, awareness of its dangers is growing. User demographics are shifting. For example, most young people have little interest in Facebook, so the average user age is going up and up. That makes Facebook of less interest to most advertisers, but very interesting to anyone wishing to influence older people - the ones most likely to vote. This is very generalized and I have no proof to back it up, but my impression is that 10-20 years ago most people who used social media did so to meet new people and search out old friends and distant family. In 2020, older people use social media as a way to share stories, and younger people use social media as a way to maintain existing friendships. Everyone, in all these cases, is providing often personal information to data brokers who compile and sell it. Because the most profitable social media users are twenty somethings, and twenty-somethings have less interest in forums, forums see less investment. But in a few years, those former twenty-somethings will discover forums too. The virtual reality site Second Life has seen a HUGE increase in new and returning users during COVID because we're all quarantined and sitting in front of our computers. People everywhere are on their computers more, so I suspect other old tech like forums will also see an uptick.

Comment

It has been about a year since I last posted on HT. In the past, I enjoyed many an hour sharing ideas and bantering with those I agreed with, and even disagreed with. But the past few years, I have switched to FB because of the different groups that are very focused on certain topics. Of use is that some topics that, even though are of interest to Hawaii folks (such as ukulele), also are of interest to people from all over the world. FB opens up easy communication with a wider audience.
                    But what is NOT better on FB is that it is much harder to learn about others, so it is kind of like yelling into a canyon and wondering who will be there to answer back. On HT, there were a lot of "regulars" who I felt that I sort of got to know a bit online.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X