No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving: Plans, Traditions? Share!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving: Plans, Traditions? Share!

I'd like to know what everyone plans to do for Thanksgiving. I'll be roasting a bird, making stuffing/dressing, inviting various in-laws and family members who are bringing dishes to complete the meal--but we're having it on Friday, the day after, because that's the best for our family. We've never delayed Thanksgiving before.

And of course, we'll have to give a listen to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" sometime or multiple times throughout the day, right?!! Of course, right. It's been made into a movie but Mr. Guthrie is requesting a boycott of the release for a wee bit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...n=130&v=glance

Great DVD - But..., April 1, 2001
    Reviewer: Arlo Guthrie (Pittsfield, MA) - See all my reviews
    I had fun doing a running commentary for this new DVD release which I know you'll enjoy. However, because MGM/UA would not allow our small company to purchase the DVD at a decent wholesale price, they've cut us out from selling the product through our own retail outlet (we can buy it cheaper here at Amazon) where we've been selling our CDs and VHS movies (including Alice's Restaurant) for years. We are boycotting the sale of the DVD until changes can be made. Stick with us and wait. Then buy it here or anywhere. Thanks, Arlo Guthrie
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Thanksgiving: Plans, Traditions? Share!

I didn't have any family here originally. My first year I happened to be dating a local guy for a while whose family welcomed me with open arms for their Thanksgiving celebration. The second year I threw a TG celebration with the help of a friend; this gathering was for those of us who had no family here. This year one of my friends is hosting a TG lunch, and for dinner I have to attend TG festivities with my boyfriend and his family here.

All that food...yum. Hope I can make it through the day without falling asleep from all the tryptophan!

Comment

The best tip I can share is one I learned by accident. One year we changed plans and decided to stay home and cook but it was last minute and so thawing a store-bought turkey was not possible. We found a never frozen Kosher turkey and let me tell you we've never gone back. No comparison.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
        [...] this gathering was for those of us who had no family here.[...]
        I have a friend who is a gourmet cook and every year hosts TG for the same reason. Nice gesture...great food! I always look forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          I'd like to know what everyone plans to do for Thanksgiving.
          I'll be enjoying Maid Rite sandwiches, homemade ice cream and freshly picked Minnesota apples in beautiful La Crosse, Wisconsin. The weather will be a perfect 50 degrees. The day after we'll drive down the river to watch several hundred thousand swans migrating down the Mississippi. Eagles, deer, geese, muskrats, bunnies, and all the usual critters. Very beautiful and nature-y there. No better setting for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
            I'll be enjoying Maid Rite sandwiches
            Yet another Midwestern delicacy (along with breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches) that needs to make its way out to the rest of the world.
            Just mustard and onion on mine, please...

Comment

My family gathers at the Red Lion for Thanksgiving Brunch, no muss, no fuss, no dishes to wash. Great carved turkey, prime rib, ham, seafood, salmon, crab bisque, etc, etc, and the usual yummy dessert table. I do miss the leftovers though, but I figure I can fix turkey any time, it's so easy.

Don't you just love the smell of Thanksgiving dinner cooking?

Comment

I will be enjoying turkey dinner from Safeway in Kapaa on Kauai.
                Then off to the crafts fair at the Blaisdell Center the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  Yet another Midwestern delicacy (along with breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches) that needs to make its way out to the rest of the world.
                  Just mustard and onion on mine, please...
                  I think at the Maid Rite in La Crosse they call the sheriff to throw you out if you dare ask to change the standard toppings. One of those kind of places...

http://www.masslive.com/cgi-bin/prxy...57/daily08.jpg

http://www.worldbirder.com/photo/photos/1480.jpg
                  Last edited by admin; November 15, 2005, 10:42 AM. Reason: Replaced inline images with links.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                    I think at the Maid Rite in La Crosse they call the sheriff to throw you out if you dare ask to change the standard toppings. One of those kind of places...
                    At the famed Taylor's in Marshalltown, Iowa, my sweetie dared ask about barbecue sauce before I could stop her. The counter person scowled at her, before informing her of the "standards."
                    She asked, because there was one in Manchester, Iowa, that offered a wider variety --- which may be why they are no longer in business.

Comment

Turkey that day, turkey omlets the next morning, turkey sandwiches for lunch, turkey ala king for dinner, cold turkey slices for breakfast (picking outta da fridge).

Repeat process for the next three days, then bag the whole thing and toss it in the garage chest freezer for Juk during the holiday season.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm donating a Roast Turkey this year. Then going to Thanksgiving Lunch in Waipahu, returning to Honolulu for another invite for Thanksgiving Dinner. Making rice soup ~ my style the next day for MAMA, and me! Broke da mouth kine.

Happy Turkey Day Celebrations To All!
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This year, we plan to roast a chicken instead (a turkey is too much for the two of us), jazz up some basic stuffing with spices, make spoonbread (but with Portuguese sausage instead of chorizo), and we're still debating desserts.

One year, we tried a turkey roast, and it came out so dry and bland - so we wrapped up the leftovers in won-ton wrappers and fried 'em in a wok!

Comment

I haven't eaten meat in over 10 years, but I must confess that I get a serious turkey craving every now and then. They say that turkey is the "gateway meat" for vegetarians, so if I ever start eating meat again, it'll probably be on Thanksgiving day.

The last few years I've made tofu loaf, mushroom gravy, cornbread stuffing, garlic-olive oil roasted potatoes and cranberry-orange relish, but this year I don't feel like cooking. Instead I'm going to try out the Thanksgiving Eve Dinner at the Hare Krishna Temple in Nuuanu - it should be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                              I haven't eaten meat in over 10 years, but I must confess that I get a serious turkey craving every now and then. They say that turkey is the "gateway meat" for vegetarians, so if I ever start eating meat again, it'll probably be on Thanksgiving day.

The last few years I've made tofu loaf, mushroom gravy, cornbread stuffing, garlic-olive oil roasted potatoes and cranberry-orange relish, but this year I don't feel like cooking. Instead I'm going to try out the Thanksgiving Eve Dinner at the Hare Krishna Temple in Nuuanu - it should be interesting!
                              Let me know how it is! Do they have a website/mailing list? I've been meaning to check out one of their events, but it hasn't happened yet...it would be easier if I had access to their upcoming events so I could plan accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X