X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life and Death in Assisted Living

PBS documentary on the dark side of assisted living:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...sisted-living/

There's a big difference between a nursing home and an assisted living facility.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Life and Death in Assisted Living

Worrisome and sad. A friend fell, broke her pelvis, has been in an Emeritus facility for about a month now. I visit her, take her supplies and treats. Its undeniably a depressing atmosphere. There is a high school a couple of blocks away, its such a contrast, carefree healthy happy youth just stepping onto the stage of life, and people for whom the curtain is coming down. As it must for us all eventually. I can't assess if she is going to make it out of there or not. Some days she seems to be doing pretty well and others, not. From what I have seen its clean and well run, nobody there appears to be suffering from neglect. Nobody wants to get old but nobody wants to die.

Comment

Not a great bit of journalism, IMO, since it's mostly about an anecdote, with no reason given to think it's typical of what goes on in assisted living places. However, following a few links, I found an interesting organization I hadn't known about, the NORC, which supposedly provides information about elderly facitlities and advocates for patients: http://www.ltcombudsman.org/ombudsman/hawaii.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        I visit her, take her supplies and treats.
        Your friend is blessed that you visit her, Kalalau, even though it can be a depressing experience at times.

Its undeniably a depressing atmosphere. There is a high school a couple of blocks away, its such a contrast, carefree healthy happy youth just stepping onto the stage of life, and people for whom the curtain is coming down.
        It's unfortunate how society doesn't integrate our elders into the fabric of public life. It feels like our elders are swept under the rug. Out of sight, out of mind, except to close loved ones.

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        Not a great bit of journalism, IMO
        I can see what you're saying. It did have a bit of a sensationalist feel to it. I still found it useful for making me aware of some issues worth investigating further.

I found an interesting organization I hadn't known about, the NORC, which supposedly provides information about elderly facitlities and advocates for patients: http://www.ltcombudsman.org/ombudsman/hawaii.
        That's an interesting resource. I didn't even know we had an "Office on Aging".
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

In the car I heard only heard a few seconds of a CBS radio news story, states were rated by quality of care facilities for the infirm, Hawai'i & Alaska got A's, Texas and Louisiana got F's. Good old pro business Texas...

Comment

Working...
          X